Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 11:26 AM   #15541
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Because ideally a 24 year old, who should be an RFA, wouldn't get as much money as a 28 year old UFA trying to cash in with the contract of his life. Landeskog has only been paid $5,571,429 AAV since 2014.
Tkachuk has made $7 million on his current deal. He'll then make $9 mill next year, and then he cash in as a 25 year old UFA.

Compare him to someone like Brayden Point, who is much better, yet has only been making $6,750,000, and then will be an RFA.

Again, I'm not blaming Tkachuk. From his perspective, it was genius.
Yeah, it’s not the dollar amount that concerns me, but rather all he has to do is accept a 1 year qualifying offer and then he can split as free agent. There will be several teams that will be willing to pay a premium for a free agent like him and can match whatever the Flames offer. It’s not like the organization has done good job selling itself to him lately.
Old 07-16-2021, 11:38 AM   #15542
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

So glad we’re back to the glory days of the Flames serving as a feeder team for bigger markets. Truly this organization has flourished under The Process.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2021, 11:44 AM   #15543
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
The numbers thrown around for Landeskog make me wonder why there is so much consternation about Tkachuk’s next contract.

Assuming he wants to stay, $9 million per year for 5 or 6 years is not a bad deal if you are getting the prime years of his career.

It’s certainly better than 7 years x $7 or $8 million per year for Landeskog where the back half of that contract he will be underperforming the contract.
IMO Tkachuk is better than any of these players so if the prices we are seeing for Hyman and Landeskog come to fruition then maybe we have to accept that Tkachuk's going to be a $9 million player.
Old 07-16-2021, 11:47 AM   #15544
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Alex Edler to hit free agency

https://twitter.com/user/status/1416084834552717312
Old 07-16-2021, 11:48 AM   #15545
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Alex Edler to hit free agency
Coming to Calgary

If this is the case it becomes so much easier to let Gio go and have him come back in a year to finish his career as a Flame
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2021, 11:50 AM   #15546
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was Edler paired with Tanev in Vancouver?

Nevermind... google answered with a yes.
Old 07-16-2021, 11:53 AM   #15547
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/c...design-3086145
With Tanev on the team in addition to Markstrom and the rest of the Swedish mafia it makes a lot of sense to see Edler come here.

He can talk to Brendan Morrison as wel who spent the bulk of his career as a Canuck yet retired and lives in Calgary to this day
Old 07-16-2021, 12:16 PM   #15548
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post

Tanev was with Hughes mostly, but it’s possible before Hughes came.
Old 07-16-2021, 12:19 PM   #15549
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
The numbers thrown around for Landeskog make me wonder why there is so much consternation about Tkachuk’s next contract.

Assuming he wants to stay, $9 million per year for 5 or 6 years is not a bad deal if you are getting the prime years of his career.

It’s certainly better than 7 years x $7 or $8 million per year for Landeskog where the back half of that contract he will be underperforming the contract.

In what planet is Tkachuk accepting a 5-6 year deal from the Flames?

He will want 8 years to cover off some non-prime years. That’s how UFA’s roll.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2021, 12:19 PM   #15550
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
The team is down a top pairing Dman in that situation so not sure I share the sentiment it is a blessing to lose him for absolutely nothing.

Unless Valimaki makes a monumental leap the Flames are in the free agent market with the biggest need being a top end Dman
Hopeful an Edler and someone like Stone can come in with a total value of 4.5-5.

Back up goalie for 2.5.

Leaves about 12 mill for Dube and 4 forwards. That’s how we have money for a legit top 6 forward and better players than Leivo/Nordstrom/Simon
Old 07-16-2021, 12:19 PM   #15551
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
The cap doesn't exist in Tampa, Toronto and Vegas.
Stamkos will volunteer to have surgery on something to go on LTIR so they can sign Landeskog.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2021, 12:21 PM   #15552
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Stamkos will volunteer to have surgery on something to go on LTIR so they can sign Landeskog.
LTIRcation
Old 07-16-2021, 12:33 PM   #15553
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Hopeful an Edler and someone like Stone can come in with a total value of 4.5-5.

Back up goalie for 2.5.

Leaves about 12 mill for Dube and 4 forwards. That’s how we have money for a legit top 6 forward and better players than Leivo/Nordstrom/Simon
I feel like the Edler news is actually quite the positive for the Flames through this whole expansion issue. If they can sign him for 3.5-4M for 1-2 years and then have the extra 3M to spend on a free agent or taking a larger cap hit back in a trade it can all work.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2021, 12:35 PM   #15554
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Seems Vancouver has no respect for their Elders
The Following User Says Thank You to Yrebmi For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2021, 12:38 PM   #15555
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Eric Duhatschek with an interesting nuggest from The Athletic re: Freddie Andersen

"I really wonder where Andersen might land. Before the Anaheim Ducks traded Andersen to the Leafs, the Calgary Flames made a hard push to get him, but the Ducks wanted him out of the division. Andersen will want to go somewhere as a starter. What if that option isn’t there and he has to look at simply finding an NHL job? If he’s forced to consider a short-term alternative, and isn’t worried about breaking the bank, any number of teams — the Flames included — would likely be interested."
Old 07-16-2021, 12:45 PM   #15556
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Eric Duhatschek with an interesting nuggest from The Athletic re: Freddie Andersen

"I really wonder where Andersen might land. Before the Anaheim Ducks traded Andersen to the Leafs, the Calgary Flames made a hard push to get him, but the Ducks wanted him out of the division. Andersen will want to go somewhere as a starter. What if that option isn’t there and he has to look at simply finding an NHL job? If he’s forced to consider a short-term alternative, and isn’t worried about breaking the bank, any number of teams — the Flames included — would likely be interested."
He has talent but is very inconsistent.

If he wants to come here for around a million or 1.5 sure but I doubt he signs anything under 3.5
Old 07-16-2021, 12:57 PM   #15557
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
He has talent but is very inconsistent.

If he wants to come here for around a million or 1.5 sure but I doubt he signs anything under 3.5
You'd think anything we would offer him, Edmonton would be able to go higher and have a better chance of taking over the starters net.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2021, 01:08 PM   #15558
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt that Andersen would look at Calgary as a possible destination. Markstrom is here. A team like Edmonton is probably his best bet.

As for Edler - he isn't top pairing material any longer. He isn't offensive enough, and he has slowed down. Giordano is a much more effective and 'fresher' defencemen IMO. Still, as long as the money is low, you can hope that him filling in as a stop-gap might be decent enough paired with Tanev. I don't exactly like it - Calgary's defence as a unit will score the least amount of goals this year with Giordano out, Edler in, and everything else staying relatively static.

I am just not confident that this team can play shut-down defence nearly enough, especially on that Hanifin-Andersson pairing (namely because of Andersson and his lack of foot-speed).

Edler - Tanev
Hanifin - Andersson
Valimaki - Stone/Mackey

That doesn't exactly inspire a whole lot of offensive production. Just hope it would be strong enough defensively to compensate. I don't think it is strong enough on the transition either. Andersson is going to have to take a big step forward next season, and Hanifin has to really improve offensively. I still believe in Valimaki, but you can't count on him taking enough of a big step this coming season to make it really work.

Well, if any coach can make this work, it is Sutter. At least there's that.
Old 07-16-2021, 01:13 PM   #15559
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
You'd think anything we would offer him, Edmonton would be able to go higher and have a better chance of taking over the starters net.
But...but...Smitty?
Old 07-16-2021, 01:30 PM   #15560
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsfanatic View Post
then I will gladly take Nylander for a 2nd and 3rd pick to help the Leafs make room for him.
Unfortunately the flames play under the same cap rules
Closed Thread