Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 12:01 PM   #1521
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually think not banning it is awesome. Let people out themselves as redneck pseudo-racists. Saves you time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2015, 12:06 PM   #1522
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I don't get this whole Confederate flag thing. Banning it isn't going to make racist people any less racist or prevent another mass shooting like Charleston. There's bigger fish to fry in terms of curb gun violence, and it has nothing to do with a flag.
It's not about banning it. It's about state governments flying a symbol that represents an ugly history.

It has no place being flown by any government institution.

Last edited by Displaced Flames fan; 06-23-2015 at 12:08 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Displaced Flames fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2015, 12:07 PM   #1523
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
It may be to the news that a bunch of Canadian retailers, as well as EBay, have announced they are pulling confederate merchandise off the shelves.

It is a bit of a reactionary response and I'm not sure if it will do anything, but perhaps something is better than nothing.
It's still not banning. It's retailers joining the chorus that won't sell anything with a "racist" symbol. No one is infringing on anyone else's right to display it, just government organizations. As for individual businesses, they're just exercising their own free speech. I'm not sure it's any more reactionary than normal business practices with any non essential merchandise that might be deemed controversial.

It's a separate issue from violence prevention and more about acknowledgement of the negative connotation of an historical symbol.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:19 PM   #1524
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
The question may be due to the news that a bunch of Canadian retailers, as well as EBay, have announced they are pulling confederate merchandise off the shelves.

It is a bit of a reactionary response and I'm not sure if it will do anything, but perhaps something is better than nothing.
Selling confederate flags is a ####ty way to make money. It's like selling swastikas. Both are state-sponsored symbols of oppression towards an ethnic group.

#Godwin
Old 06-23-2015, 12:28 PM   #1525
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Selling confederate flags is a ####ty way to make money. It's like selling swastikas. Both are state-sponsored symbols of oppression towards an ethnic group.

#Godwin
Technically the Confederate flag has nothing to do with the United states of America. The flag is not only racist but the "True Americans" that support it forget that it's a symbol of fighting againts the United States of America. Which is also another reason for the USA to not fly it.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 06-23-2015 at 12:31 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:31 PM   #1526
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with all of that and I support stores refusing to sell them. And no political assembly that is supposed to represent the people should be publically displaying a symbol that represents the oppression of those people.

It isn't like they were getting their funding from selling the stars and bars. I'm just not sure how much affect that is going to have on racist culture.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 06-23-2015, 12:34 PM   #1527
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...ropping-emblem

Mississippi is looking into removing the confederate flag from their state flag
Old 06-23-2015, 12:36 PM   #1528
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember wearing the confederate flag muscle shirt 30 years ago before I knew what the flag was really a symbol for. Still mind boggling that any state's government would allow this to fly anywhere on any of their buildings.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:39 PM   #1529
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
I remember wearing the confederate flag muscle shirt 30 years ago before I knew what the flag was really a symbol for. Still mind boggling that any state's government would allow this to fly anywhere on any of their buildings.
Yeah. When I was a kid, I had a friend travel to the south and he brought me back a confederate flag. I hung it in my room before I figured it out. I still feel embarrassed about it. I just thought it was a Dukes of Hazzard thing.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:47 PM   #1530
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not only are gun sales going to spike after this...confederate flag sales have also spiked...

Quote:
Leading retailers including Walmart (WMT), Amazon (AMZN), Sears (SHLD) and eBay (EBAY) have now said they'll stop selling Confederate flag merchandise. But that follows a spike in sales that caught retailers off gaurd. On Monday, before Haley announced her change in position on the flag (which still must be approved by the state assembly), Amazon showed just two Confederate flags among the 60 bestselling items under “Outdoor Flags and Banners”: one at the No. 5 spot, and one at No. 43. The following morning, five of the top 20 bestsellers in the category were Confederate flags, including the No. 1 bestseller, a 3-by-5 foot polyester model made by Rhode Island Novelty and sold by a company called Anley. Among the top 60, 12 were versions of the Confederate flag.

Alotta’s flag, a 3-by-5 nylon embroidered model that sells for $13.95 plus $6.25 shipping (and is not eligible for Amazon’s free-shipping service, Prime) was the No. 7 bestseller as of midday Tuesday. So the sales spike for higher-ranking flags has probably been even greater than for Alotta’s product.
Sellers on eBay (EBAY) experienced a similar surge in interest. At about 10 a.m. EST on Tuesday, a confederate flag listed by a seller named superqualityflags showed 149 sold in the last 24 hours. By 11 a.m., 201 had been sold in the last 24 hours.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sales-...153357290.html
Old 06-23-2015, 02:01 PM   #1531
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

So silly.

When Newtown happened, lots of folks I deal with said they went to the stores to stock up on ammo, but lo, many places were sold out. People were preparing to fight the government because they thought the massacre of 20 kindergarteners would be the straw that broke the NRA's back and thus their God given right to bear arms would be in jeopardy.

Of course nothing of that sort happened, and now folks are more armed than ever.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:07 PM   #1532
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post

Somewhere I have a photo of Barbara McDougall when she was the Minister of External Affairs (IIRC) sitting in front of the flag with former soldiers from 2 Commando.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:47 PM   #1533
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

There is a crazy yard in Montgomery, full of garden gnomes and a Confederate Flag.

Confederate flag still 'flies' on 'Dukes of Hazzard'

http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/23/medi...federate-flag/

Last edited by troutman; 06-23-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:51 PM   #1534
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of crazy....

He had a pretty nice meltdown on his Twitter. Good read, the responses are gold. People realize the confederacy were a bunch of treasonous traitors right?
Old 06-23-2015, 02:57 PM   #1535
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Yeah. When I was a kid, I had a friend travel to the south and he brought me back a confederate flag. I hung it in my room before I figured it out. I still feel embarrassed about it. I just thought it was a Dukes of Hazzard thing.
I think I was reading DC GI Combat Haunted Tank comic books at the time as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2015, 03:01 PM   #1536
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I oft think to myself how ironic it is to hear all this anti-Russian rhetoric in mainstream media, yet America certainly is one of the most backward countries around. Poverty, crime, corruption, gun culture, religious zealots, the imperial system...
It does seem peculiar that two of the greatest powers in the world are home to so many fearful, paranoid, violent people. The USA, despite its prosperity and its isolation from real conventional military threats, is a society seething in a cauldron of fear. I don't know where it comes from. Is is something to do with religion? Can a civil war 150 years ago have left such lasting wounds? Is it really all about race, and the visceral fear of the rampaging black man attacking white women? It's a baffling and terrifying culture.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:04 PM   #1537
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was a kid that I went to school with from grade 2 and up. His family had a confederate flag on a big pole in their yard (this is Springbank BTW). I recall as we got older, he started to get a lot of heat for it as people started to understand what it was. It was his parents though, although they never came across as racist to me. But then again, not a lot of non-white people out there.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:33 PM   #1538
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:36 PM   #1539
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
You're totally misunderstanding. No one is banning it, just don't have the government fly a racist flag seems like a reasonable request.

It's not meant to prevent a shooting, so I'm not sure why you think that's relevant.
I'm talking about all the stores that are pulling it from shelves. Not the government flying it. Is it for good PR or is it supposed to accomplish something? Make black people feel better? Cause I don't. Make sure people don't identify your store as supporting racism? Rash action in response in response to one racist kid losing his marbles does nothing.

So tell me what I don't understand about pulling the flag after a racist mass murder.

Last edited by Acey; 06-23-2015 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:46 PM   #1540
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I'm talking about all the stores that are pulling it from shelves. Not the government flying it.
The stores are pulling it because in the aftermath of a white supremacist slaughtering a bunch of black people in a church, previously silent portions of the American public are starting to stand up and say that proudly displaying a racist symbol is not a good thing. The retailers are simply being reactionary and trying to stay clear of being 'that company' that supports racism.

Fivethirtyeight did a story on the flag debate yesterday. Only one poll post-massacre so far, but it shows a sharp increase in opposition to the flag: http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/b...federate-flag/

Last edited by Resolute 14; 06-23-2015 at 04:48 PM.
Closed Thread