Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2022, 10:49 AM   #1521
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Thanks for posting that, Donut rocks it as usual.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 12:24 PM   #1522
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

The mental issue is one thing, yes put your money where your mouth is. The other issue is racial. Oh, the Sudanese community blah blah blah. What suffering! If he was white, you would not be hearing shout his contribution to x community, Scottish, Irish, French etc....

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 12:26 PM   #1523
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
I'm not really familiar with that youtube channel but that was an excellent analysis.

It really seems like the Police in this instance were completely reasonable and open and honest about the situation.

Its unfortunate, I dont really like the family's attitude towards this but now we have to talk about what kind of mental health care this individual could or could not receive and why.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 12:36 PM   #1524
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'm not really familiar with that youtube channel but that was an excellent analysis.
I am familiar with a lot of Donut's videos, and he's usually very good and is generally pretty neutral in his breakdowns. He was a police officer for a long time and has been retired for...6 years now, I think.

He leans more right in his non-breakdown stuff, but I just tend to skip those videos.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 01:16 PM   #1525
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan97 View Post
We are so far beyond "asking the question" on these issues.

Either implement tangible changes to these systems/processes and put your money where your mouth is to address some of these issues or accept the cold reality that these types of situations are going to occur from time to time with the way things are currently structured and focus on supporting a victims family/community & the officers involved as much as possible. Everytime something devastating happens in our community now people rush to social media to grandstand about how conversations need to be had and questions need to be asked. We have been having these conversations and asking these questions for years. How about we see a commitment to at least ATTEMPTING to begin addressing some of these issues. No more conversations, no more questions - do something.
If only we had someone that we could ask these questions to and demand action be taken. We could hold elections where everyone in the city gets to vote for someone to manage the city government. Then we'd have someone to address these questions to!
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 01:32 PM   #1526
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
The mental issue is one thing, yes put your money where your mouth is. The other issue is racial. Oh, the Sudanese community blah blah blah. What suffering! If he was white, you would not be hearing shout his contribution to x community, Scottish, Irish, French etc....
Well, he wasn't Scottish, Irish, or French. If he was, chances are he probably wouldn't have been a child soldier.

His race is relevant to his human experience to this point. As it is for everyone, but to a far lesser degree for those in the majority.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 01:52 PM   #1527
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Well, he wasn't Scottish, Irish, or French. If he was, chances are he probably wouldn't have been a child soldier.

His race is relevant to his human experience to this point. As it is for everyone, but to a far lesser degree for those in the majority.
People who have immigrated here also far more often form communities based around where they came and the culture of that place.

I liked Donut's video as I thought it was a great fact-based account of what happened. And I think it serves well to delegitimize some of the criticisms the CPS are recieving and some of the information, but I have no idea why people have the need to try to delegitimize everything. I'm sure the Sudanese community is hurting over this loss, especially if he made positive contributions to it. Someone died afterall. Just because the shooting was justified doesn't make the feelings of hurt and loss less legitimate.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2022, 01:55 PM   #1528
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Donut Operator is a good and interesting YouTube channel but he's a former Army(?) and Police Officer so it's a major bias towards that when you get his opinion. Not like he hides that or anything
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 01:55 PM   #1529
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
People who have immigrated here also far more often form communities based around where they came and the culture of that place.

I liked Donut's video as I thought it was a great fact-based account of what happened. And I think it serves well to delegitimize some of the criticisms the CPS are recieving and some of the information, but I have no idea why people have the need to try to delegitimize everything. I'm sure the Sudanese community is hurting over this loss, especially if he made positive contributions to it. Someone died afterall. Just because the shooting was justified doesn't make the feelings of hurt and loss less legitimate.
True, and I agree, but the part that I dislike is that the family immediately started a GoFundMe to have their loved one buried in Sudan...but the information they're passing on as a part of that ranges from 'Egregiously Erroneous' all the way to 'Outright Lies.'

And I dont like that. I dont like the outlook of asking people, especially a grieving community, for money based on BS.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2022, 02:06 PM   #1530
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
True, and I agree, but the part that I dislike is that the family immediately started a GoFundMe to have their loved one buried in Sudan...but the information they're passing on as a part of that ranges from 'Egregiously Erroneous' all the way to 'Outright Lies.'

And I dont like that. I dont like the outlook of asking people, especially a grieving community, for money based on BS.
Oh, trust me, I don't like it either. And that's what I'm trying to say. There is plenty to criticize here, but I think we can do that without delegitimizing every single aspect of the situation and mocking aspects of this that are probably very true and worth holding up.
Old 02-23-2022, 02:42 PM   #1531
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I bet those 13 CPS members will come back from Ottawa with a hero’s welcome.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 03:06 PM   #1532
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Can't really blame them. I wouldn't expect anyone who lost a close family member to react rationally, add to that a media circus and potentially life changing money. It's no wonder their heads are spinning a million miles an hour.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 03:08 PM   #1533
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
I bet those 13 CPS members will come back from Ottawa with a hero’s welcome.
I ####ing hope they do

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 03:24 PM   #1534
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post

Quote:
That's all true but it's not automatic. It's not automatic that newcomers and immigrants are all struggling and born-Calgarians are not. And it's also not automatic that it you are from that country that you are part of that community. Say there's 1,000 Sudanese in Calgary (I'm making this up). Not all 1,000 are part of the community or church/mosque, temple whatever. I mean, I'm part of probably three ethnic communites on and off, I wouldn't consider myself really a leader of anything.

Again, if he were white, she wouldn't be saying he was leader in of the Irish community or a prominent member of a church etc.. He'd just be mentally unstable dude who attacked a police dog. I mean, we'll see the next time something like this happens.

Also, for us on here to debate this, we're fine. Our words don't carry. She's the mayor!! She's risking being divisive. Again, there's an investigation going on and she doesn't have all the facts and she can't autopilot to he was a great guy in the community.

And for the family, again, for them to say, "They chose a dog over a black man." I can't get over that.

Last edited by GirlySports; 02-23-2022 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-23-2022, 04:03 PM   #1535
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Again, if he were white, she wouldn't be saying he was leader in of the Irish community or a prominent member of a church etc.. He'd just be mentally unstable dude who attacked a police dog. I mean, we'll see the next time something like this happens.
This sort of positive characterisation of white people who engage in criminal activity happens all the time, to the point people where people were mocking the difference between how white criminals are characterised in the media and how criminals of colour are. This is a baseless comment.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2022, 04:15 PM   #1536
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The gofundme is criminal. The family member claiming racism and police brutality leaves out all the facts and just straight up lies about what happens that video evidence clearly confirms the opposite. Almost 50k donated to it. People are idiots over 1300 donors who can’t see through this garbage
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 04:26 PM   #1537
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy_12 View Post
The gofundme is criminal. The family member claiming racism and police brutality leaves out all the facts and just straight up lies about what happens that video evidence clearly confirms the opposite. Almost 50k donated to it. People are idiots over 1300 donors who can’t see through this garbage
If we've learned anything from recent current events its that people will support all sorts of ridiculous causes with money.

I'm sure the family is grieving and could use the support. I don't think telling lies for money is ever appropriate though.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 04:28 PM   #1538
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
If we've learned anything from recent current events its that people will support all sorts of ridiculous causes with money.

I'm sure the family is grieving and could use the support. I don't think telling lies for money is ever appropriate though.
The message attached by the creator is just a complete lie I’m not sure anything was true other than he died. Its despicable people are funding a criminal. How does gofundme allow this? I reported it personally. Money should go to the dog and it’s handler
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 06:34 PM   #1539
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
This sort of positive characterisation of white people who engage in criminal activity happens all the time, to the point people where people were mocking the difference between how white criminals are characterised in the media and how criminals of colour are. This is a baseless comment.
I think it used to be but has turned 180 in recent years. We'll revisit this next time there is a similar event and see how the mayor reacts.

Old 02-23-2022, 07:02 PM   #1540
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why did the CPS member fire the rubber bullets? It didn’t look like the guy was doing anything aggressive. After getting hit, he runs toward the officers.

Yeah, I know he had a knife but it doesn’t look like he was moving from his original position prior to getting shot with the rubber bullets.

Last edited by wwkayaker; 02-23-2022 at 07:05 PM.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wwkayaker For This Useful Post: