Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2024, 08:20 PM   #1521
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually like the new overtime rule. If San Fran stops Mahomes on 4th and 1 then the game ends and there's no discussion. San Fran had held the Chiefs offense in check all game long. The only Chiefs touchdown came off the muffed punt kickoff.

If San Fran was able to make a stop or caused a turnover the game ends. Even the analytics people didn't have a preferable choice for this one. It will be interesting to see what happens next time, and from here on out. I don't fault Shanahan for taking the ball.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 09:45 PM   #1522
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Congrats!

In the years between the 1993 AFC title game and Patrick Mahomes' first season as a starter (1994-2017), the Chiefs went 1-10 in the playoffs and were 0-6 at home. they literally went 25 years and a few days between home playoff wins.

It is surreal for Chiefs fans to see possibly the best five-year run in NFL history after experiencing that.
I've watched every playoff game starting with their 17-16 loss to the Dolphins in January of 1991 where they gave up a 14 in the 4th to lose...and it was much the same for 25 years.

The Division round from 95 to 2016 was particularly cruel. 5 losses all by 7 or less and 4 of those were at home. Plus a couple other killer wild card losses to the Colts and Titans in the Wild Card round in the Alex Smith days. Mahomes has been a complete franchise changer.
Old 02-12-2024, 10:14 PM   #1523
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
I actually like the new overtime rule. If San Fran stops Mahomes on 4th and 1 then the game ends and there's no discussion. San Fran had held the Chiefs offense in check all game long. The only Chiefs touchdown came off the muffed punt kickoff.

If San Fran was able to make a stop or caused a turnover the game ends. Even the analytics people didn't have a preferable choice for this one. It will be interesting to see what happens next time, and from here on out. I don't fault Shanahan for taking the ball.
It is an interesting decision...

If San Francisco gets a touchdown and then KC gets a touchdown then taking possession makes a lot of sense because it means you get the ball back with a chance to win.

But deferring is also good because it puts the pressure on them to get a TD...and if not you can win with 4 down football to get a TD on your opportunity.

There are pros and cons to each scenario for sure.

I do think in the end if you are going to receive first you need to be very confident in your ability to get a touchdown on that first drive, especially against Reid and Mahomes.

I still think the biggest mistakes were the play calls once it was 2nd and 4 from the 9 with a chance to get a TD. Then they went pass on 3rd down and Spagnola brought the pressure with it being an obvious passing play.

IMO they should have taken a shot at the endzone on that second down instead of the run play. Feels like they got really conservative once they got to the 10 there and were too comfortable with a FG.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 02-12-2024 at 10:23 PM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 11:37 PM   #1524
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darockwilder View Post
Where did you find this video of me.
Old 02-13-2024, 02:39 AM   #1525
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
The longest Super Bowl game also will go down as the most-watched program in television history.

According to Nielsen and Adobe Analytics, the Kansas City Chiefs' 25-22 overtime victory versus the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday averaged 123.4 million viewers across television and streaming platforms. That shattered last year's mark of 115.1 million for Kansas City's last-play victory over the Philadelphia Eagles with a 7% increase.

Nielsen also said a record 202.4 million watched at least part of the game across all networks, a 10% jump over last year's figure of 183.6 million.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-1234m-viewers
Old 02-13-2024, 05:13 AM   #1526
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I've watched every playoff game starting with their 17-16 loss to the Dolphins in January of 1991 where they gave up a 14 in the 4th to lose...and it was much the same for 25 years.

The Division round from 95 to 2016 was particularly cruel. 5 losses all by 7 or less and 4 of those were at home. Plus a couple other killer wild card losses to the Colts and Titans in the Wild Card round in the Alex Smith days. Mahomes has been a complete franchise changer.
Well, I was a long suffering Chiefs fan until Mahomes as well. The Colts comeback in 2013 was devastating. We were up 38-10 at halftime and you just think it’s in the bag.

So many years where we had great, hall of fame players. But until we got Mahomes, there was just hope. Now we go down in games and I still feel like we can pull it off. It’s a complete mindset change.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 09:37 AM   #1527
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
It is an interesting decision...

If San Francisco gets a touchdown and then KC gets a touchdown then taking possession makes a lot of sense because it means you get the ball back with a chance to win.

But deferring is also good because it puts the pressure on them to get a TD...and if not you can win with 4 down football to get a TD on your opportunity.

There are pros and cons to each scenario for sure.

I do think in the end if you are going to receive first you need to be very confident in your ability to get a touchdown on that first drive, especially against Reid and Mahomes.

I still think the biggest mistakes were the play calls once it was 2nd and 4 from the 9 with a chance to get a TD. Then they went pass on 3rd down and Spagnola brought the pressure with it being an obvious passing play.

IMO they should have taken a shot at the endzone on that second down instead of the run play. Feels like they got really conservative once they got to the 10 there and were too comfortable with a FG.
I think in the bolded scenario above KC goes for 2. This was Shannahan's flaw strategically because I don't believe there will ever be a 3rd possession unless it's two punts or two FGs, and even in the "down by 3" scenario like on Sunday, if it's 4th and short even in FG range, they probably go for it. It's such a low percentage to defend a 3rd possession where the game turns into sudden death. Kickers can now kick accurately from the 40 (57 yr FG) so a team only needs 35 yards against a beat up defense playing in the 6th quarter.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2024, 10:33 AM   #1528
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

KC said they would have gone for 2 and discussed it during the week
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 11:18 AM   #1529
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

a continuation on the above.

I love how the new overtime rules cause so much debate. Very much overdue.

Some questions to discuss.

1. If you win the coin toss, do you kick or receive?

The consensus seems to be to kick, you want to know what you have to do. Although, I would still receive because I believe in scoreboard pressure. That might be a wrong and antiquated view on my part.

Shannahan stated he chose to receive because he wanted the ball 3rd. But the team with the ball 2nd would prevent a 3rd possession at all costs. Maybe Shannahan saw a defensive struggle and was hoping for 2 punts.

What that in mind.

2. If you're down 7 and score a TD, do you go for 2?

I think this one is obvious, you go for 2. Much higher chance than defending a 3rd possession. Kickers are so good now, they only need to get to the opponents 40 (57 yd FG)

3. If you're down by 3 and it's 4th and 3 at the opponents 20, what do you do?

Not as obvious. Short FG but you're trying to prevent a 3rd possession.

4. The game is tied and it's 4th and 3 on your own 30, what do you do?

Again, you're trying to prevent a 3rd possession.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2024, 01:55 PM   #1530
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well, I was a long suffering Chiefs fan until Mahomes as well. The Colts comeback in 2013 was devastating. We were up 38-10 at halftime and you just think it’s in the bag.

So many years where we had great, hall of fame players. But until we got Mahomes, there was just hope. Now we go down in games and I still feel like we can pull it off. It’s a complete mindset change.
They were up 31-10 at the half, got a quick TD in Q3 to get up 38-10. But Alex Smith got stripped on a the next drive when they were moving the ball and they had suffered s lot of injuries on Irsays crap turf....the Andrew Luck fumble that pops right up to him that he catches and scores on a 4th and goal.

I never heard the Chiefs talked about quite like the Lions because they did still make the playoffs. Between 1989 up to today, I think they had 5 years with 6 or fewer wins, and 10 total losing seasons. So between 89 and 2015 they likely had a top 12 record, but so little playoff success.

But can't deny the past few years have really started to make up for that. I'm no rich financial advisor...so I can't afford to go to any games live anymore. But if I live long enough, I will try to go to Canton for Mahomes HHOF induction.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 02-13-2024 at 01:57 PM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2024, 03:07 PM   #1531
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Thank god overtime gave us something to dissect over and over again because 90% of that game was trash. Niners got Shanahaned as is tradition and Mahomes is gonna make Brady fans so mad. Injuries notwithstanding in a few years it won’t be a question of who is but by what magnitude Mahomes is considered the greatest ever.

These aren’t the early Brady game manager defence and kicking game winning FG’s Super Bowl wins this is one player dragging as trash offence to win against what most thought was a perfectly constructed team. Unbelievably impressive victory for KC
There's still a long way to go for Mahomes to be in the conversation of better than Brady -- it's inarguably more difficult to continue on a run like this in the back half of one's career as you get older, teammates get older and retire / move on, etc. And even if he does get close with a few more rings, Brady will always have #7 that he won by beating Mahomes.

It's exceedingly more likely that Mahomes wins zero more Super Bowls than he wins another four. Which considering how fantastic him and the Chiefs have been in this run, it really puts into perspective how insane Brady's career was.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 03:19 PM   #1532
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Longevity is overrated. Brady’s first few titles were on the defence and kickers, not like Mahomes who’s dragged his teams to titles by himself. Add in that by that time discussing the early pats titles will be viewed like discussing Slinging Sammy Baugh now? Forget about it. If KC can threepeat next year? The talk will instantly be GOAT.

Now I don’t know why it would be more likely that he never wins another but seeing as how Mahomes has proved he can win a title with arena league rejects at WR I suspect the chiefs will continue to be pretty great. The first real big question for Mahomes will be when Reid retires, he won’t have the luxury like Brady did of being intertwined with a coach for 99% of his career.

It can’t be discounted either than non Pats fans tend to view that era’s teams as cheaters so the first chance they have to throw Brock Purdy 1.0 out of the conversation they will.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 03:56 PM   #1533
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Mahomes can get to 5 titles then there is probably a discussion even though it was 5 vs 7...because at that point it's close enough that the team strength argument will make it close.

Old Brady beating young Mahomes is always going to be something that will get brought up.

But lets' be honest a guy in his 10th Super Bowl has a huge advantage over a 2nd year player in his 1st Super Bowl.

But really though it's going to be tough for anybody to truly "pass" Brady as the GOAT. It will be similar to the Lebron and Jordan comparisons...even if it gets to the point where it's close to a toss up nobody is going to say the younger guy is clearly better than the veteran.

7 titles, 10 super bowl appearances, 14 championship games in 23 seasons
3 titles, 4 super bowl appearances, 6 championship games in 6 seasons

Really it's remarkable what both these guys have done, and I really hope Mahomes can keep it up and make it an argument.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 05:07 PM   #1534
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quite possible Mahomes can get to 7, but unlikely I think. He has to stay healthy. Another wunderkind could be drafted that dominates the next 10 years.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 05:28 PM   #1535
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also depends on how consistent his future titles come. Brady's beginning and end were ring-heavy, but for a solid decade in between in his absolute prime, he wasn't winning titles. If Mahomes can consistently win them every 3-4 years, that could be a factor as well when it's all said & done.
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 06:24 PM   #1536
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

I think a lot will depend if he goes title chasing after the gas of the Chiefs wears out (which could be 10 years for all we know). Does he pull a Peyton/Brady and ride off with a different team into the sunset after a last title? Winning a ring after Reid retires might be all it takes.
Old 02-13-2024, 06:57 PM   #1537
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

The fact that Brady won as many Superbowl's as Montana and Bradshaw after turning 37 as they did in their entire careers is a massive outlier to me. Guys like Elway and Manning won at the ends of their career when they were 38 and 39 respectively, but they both did look like they had given their last gasp to get to those games. Tom Brady played in 3 Superbowls and won 2 after turning 40.

It's hard to imagine today's more athletic QB's who rely pretty heavily on scrambling being as effective after turning about 35.

I think atvthis point Mahomes can be the G.O.T.E. or greatest of this era. But G.O.A.T. still a long way to catch Tom in my view.
Old 02-14-2024, 07:14 AM   #1538
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Quite possible Mahomes can get to 7, but unlikely I think. He has to stay healthy. Another wunderkind could be drafted that dominates the next 10 years.
I think the problem for Mahomes is that Reid probably has one or two years left as well as Kelce who's been his security blanket for his entire career to date. I think Mahomes has the talent to win a Super Bowl without Reid but it's going to be considerably more difficult as IMO Reid does so much more for his QB than Belichick did for Brady as IMO he's the greatest offensive play caller in the history of the NFL. There's nowhere to go but down after Reid retires in regards to Mahomes being put in the best situations to succeed. All It will take is a couple of mediocre head coach hires and Mahomes may not see a Super Bowl for a long time post-Reid.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2024, 10:31 AM   #1539
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's also the problem of the AFC being treasure trove of the best QBs in the league. If he was in the NFC they might as well just punch their ticket to the Super Bowl every year, but the AFC you already have Allen, Jackson, Tua, and Burrow will remain dangerous to take their team on a run, Herbert could thrive under a new coach, Watson might bounce back, and now Stroud looking like the next big thing. Patriots will almost certainly have another big potential QB, whether from the draft or otherwise. Oh, and Aaron Rodgers is supposed to play next season too.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 12:50 PM   #1540
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Travis Kelce is just effin wrecked at their parade lol, looks like he’s having a great time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Luder is offline   Reply With Quote