Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2024, 11:18 AM   #15201
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
In Alberta employers are required to allow up to 5 days of(unpaid) leave each year for family responsibilities. (ie: kids being sick)

https://www.alberta.ca/personal-fami...sibility-leave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandric View Post
5 days! I have a 4 and a 2 year old in preschool/daycare. That would have been used in the first month easy...

Bwhahaha.

Exactly. 5 whole ####ing days! Wooooooow!

That would be gone before January 26th each and every year.

####. If we had to keep our toddler home every time she had a cough or runny nose we'd need 50 days of sick time a year hahah.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 11:23 AM   #15202
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol! If we're privatizing Health Care we should have clean rooms or bubbles at Day Cares.

"Sorry but little Seamus is sick but I have to go to work, can you just plop him in the clean room for the day? Give him some blocks to play with or something?"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 11:25 AM   #15203
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Bwhahaha.

Exactly. 5 whole ####ing days! Wooooooow!

That would be gone before January 26th each and every year.

####. If we had to keep our toddler home every time she had a cough or runny nose we'd need 50 days of sick time a year hahah.
Contact your local UCP and ask them to increase it if you don’t think it’s sufficient, I’m sure our useless minister of jobs, economy and trade Matt Jones will get right on it.

I only posted the information because some people aren’t aware that you do have the right to take some time off to care for your children and believe it or not even with the law stating so, some employers still try to coerce their employees into not using the leave days.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 11:45 AM   #15204
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
The real issue is not a societal construct it's that many people are just increasingly more selfish and self absorbed than they have ever been. A lot of people simply don't care that sending a sick kid to school or daycare is going to infect several others and likely take down the teacher if the alternative is disrupting their own routine. The same parents that cant be bothered to look up from their phones at their kids sports practice/game or get off the couch or out of the house all weekend are usually the same ones that just can't find a way to work from home or shuffle things around.

In today's world, unless you're a shift worker or in a very niche line of work without family to support, there is little reason that you can't make arrangements to keep a sick kid home and/or work remotely with a sick kid once and a while. Most can certainly balance it out with a spouse and grandparents if it is a more common or recurring issue. If your employer isn't flexible on this in 2024 you need to find a new employer.
This is from the position of privilege that CP off topic forum posters have. If we can post on CP during the workday we can probably take care of a sick kid. Lots of jobs don’t have that flexibility

Last edited by GGG; 05-15-2024 at 11:48 AM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 11:48 AM   #15205
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
This is from the position of privilege that CP off topic forum posters have. If we can post on CP during the workday we can probably take care of a sick kid. Lots of jobs don’t have that flexibikity
First of all, I love the term flexibikity we need to add that to the Lexicon.

But overall, you're right, I agree. But I also dont want to spend all day with a sick kid, arent there places for that? Like a drop-box or something?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 01:56 PM   #15206
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

People speaking over each other on Teams calls.

It's been what 3 years since we have all started doing this and you can't figure out the "hand up" tool.

Even worse when you are an idiot and your points are stupid.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 02:12 PM   #15207
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
This is from the position of privilege that CP off topic forum posters have. If we can post on CP during the workday we can probably take care of a sick kid. Lots of jobs don’t have that flexibility
CP Lives Matter!
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 02:15 PM   #15208
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

It's been what 3 years since we have all started doing this and you can't figure out the "hand up" tool.

Oh! That is what that is for!

I thought it was for when you wanted to slap some idiot for talking crap at meetings.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 03:08 PM   #15209
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
Oh! That is what that is for!

I thought it was for when you wanted to slap some idiot for talking crap at meetings.
I read that as "taking a crap at meetings" and thought your office is getting pretty informal...
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 03:17 PM   #15210
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

If you were stopped in the right lane on WB Memorial at Edmonton Trail and realized you needed to turn left onto the Reconciliation Bridge what would you do?

I would go right into the gas station parking lot and turn left onto Edmonton Trail. But not the genius I was just beside. He turned on his left signal when the light turned green and struggled his way across two lanes, holding up several people. #######.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 03:20 PM   #15211
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
If you were stopped in the right lane on WB Memorial at Edmonton Trail and realized you needed to turn left onto the Reconciliation Bridge what would you do?

I would go right into the gas station parking lot and turn left onto Edmonton Trail. But not the genius I was just beside. He turned on his left signal when the light turned green and struggled his way across two lanes, holding up several people. #######.
The inability to adjust your route (i.e., turning around at the next intersection / overpass) should result in a lifetime driving ban.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 03:23 PM   #15212
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I think that’s actually why we should increase the speed of a lot of roads in Calgary. They’re just slow enough that strugglers don’t fear spreading the struggle around. By reducing the severity of the danger, we have increased the occurrence of the danger.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 04:02 PM   #15213
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I think that’s actually why we should increase the speed of a lot of roads in Calgary. They’re just slow enough that strugglers don’t fear spreading the struggle around. By reducing the severity of the danger, we have increased the occurrence of the danger.
We're taught defensive driving so these people know that their selfish actions will be accommodated by people who don't want to get in an accident.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 04:03 PM   #15214
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

Great opportunity to learn things don't always go your way.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 04:10 PM   #15215
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Take ownership of each meeting and then you have the power to mute everyone.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 04:22 PM   #15216
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

That stuff makes me lose my mind. $10k fine no exaggeration.

When your infraction impacts others knowingly there should be a multiplier added.

Illegally parking on 6th at rush hour. (that happens 80% of all days) $50 fine plus a multiplier of the cost of imprisoning 10,000 people for 3 minutes. That's the the equivalent of imprisoning one person for 500 hours or 20 days. What would be the fine for kidnapping a person for 20 days. That should be a big fine. $1000/man-day.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 04:38 PM   #15217
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
The inability to adjust your route (i.e., turning around at the next intersection / overpass) should result in a lifetime driving ban.

Good drivers sometimes miss their turn. Bad drivers never do.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 09:36 PM   #15218
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
Great opportunity to learn things don't always go your way.
So cute and snarky

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 10:04 PM   #15219
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know what will solve this...

Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 09:01 AM   #15220
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

LOL, I saw that exact same thing Saturday afternoon and the person doing it had one of those huge lifted coal rolling trucks behind him just laying on the horn. I thought a truck like that could just drive over a civic sized vehicle...
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote