Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 11:34 AM   #1501
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
The problem is that they're two different things. This is a particular type of virus, but a "superbug" is going to be an antibiotic-resistant bacteria. And it's not just going to be one that suddenly comes out of nowhere. It'll be a cascade of them, steadily getting harder and harder to treat. It's literally a different animal.

Gearing up for a response to another coronavirus is actually reasonably straightforward, if governments want to prioritize it - mostly, it involves stockpiling PPE and other equipment, funding research to deploy vaccine testing quickly and trying to do some of the work ahead of time, and probably most importantly, having more streamlined and reliable supply chains (including local manufacturing sources). In contrast, trying to prepare for superbugs requires so much fundamental change to how the medicine industry (and in particular the R&D sector) works that it's more like trying to fix racism in the United States than preparing for another episode like the one we just had.

It’s took mers, sars, for South Korea, and Taiwan to begin preparations for a virus such as this, or worse. But they did live and learn, hopefully we can do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2020, 11:41 AM   #1502
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
I know it's hard to really mentally grasp the danger of Covid-19, but I think this graph is very helpful in putting it in perspective.

https://public.flourish.studio/visua...tLZwDjpqnHK4xg

so, Coronavirus correlation or causation? Because they just started tacking it on to everything. Also, flu deaths in the US alone were 80k alone in 2017/18 and that was a guesstimate. On average yearly flu Kill over 1.2 million

Old 06-08-2020, 11:43 AM   #1503
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhitbox View Post
It’s took mers, sars, for South Korea, and Taiwan to begin preparations for a virus such as this, or worse. But they did live and learn, hopefully we can do the same.
Again, though, you're mixing up novel viruses with "superbugs", which refers to bacteria that don't respond to treatment using existing antibiotics. They're vastly different problems, both in how they affect public health and how you have to respond to them.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 06-08-2020, 11:45 AM   #1504
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
I know we are sidetracking the thread, but this is much more important.

AHS has some services available on the mental health side of things:

https://www.albertahealthservices.ca...SAAEgKdrfD_BwE

Don't ever be to proud to ask for help. If anyone wants to talk, send me a note and I will call you. I have no expertise in this area, but can listen.
Thank you I really appreciate your, and other people's concern. I have a decent support system, two psychiatrists, a social worker and my mom. I have lost the ability to engage and activate at times though so while they are there, they aren't because I am having trouble utilizing them. Have no motivation to get out bed unless I'm drinking and then the next day is 10x worse because alcohol is a depressant. I'm humbled by the concern some are showing here, truly humbled. Even received a couple thoughtful PMs. This is truly a great community.

Just need to tell myself there is nowhere to go but up!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Fire of the Phoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 11:55 AM   #1505
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhitbox View Post
so, Coronavirus correlation or causation? Because they just started tacking it on to everything. Also, flu deaths in the US alone were 80k alone in 2017/18 and that was a guesstimate. On average yearly flu Kill over 1.2 million

Flu deaths are AFAIK way way down this year.

People finally started to wash their hands and stay home when sick.
Old 06-08-2020, 11:55 AM   #1506
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Again, though, you're mixing up novel viruses with "superbugs", which refers to bacteria that don't respond to treatment using existing antibiotics. They're vastly different problems, both in how they affect public health and how you have to respond to them.

Absolutely. We didn’t know what this was. The flu has a yearly vaccine for a reason, because it mutates and shows new strains. Even if the vaccine only works 40% of the time. The problem with the flu deaths this year is, that it shouldn’t have been effected by lock down. Flu runs from late October to late match, with deaths trickledown into April. We didn’t see anywhere the average deaths this year from flu.

Old 06-08-2020, 12:01 PM   #1507
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:
Default UPDATE: NHLPA votes for further negotiations on 24-team return to play format

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Flu deaths are AFAIK way way down this year.

People finally started to wash their hands and stay home when sick.

It wasn’t hygienic caused. Flu season was almost over by March lockdown. The reports of a flu season take a year to come out. Or more

Also. I’m basing my facts from Stanford university professor, john ioannidis,

Last edited by Johnhitbox; 06-08-2020 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-08-2020, 02:54 PM   #1508
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1270096353067057153
Old 06-08-2020, 04:00 PM   #1509
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't Vegas say they probably wouldn't be allowed to play in their own building? I wonder if the east plays in the west and vice versa. Players are really concerned about advantages
Old 06-08-2020, 07:31 PM   #1510
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Didn't Vegas say they probably wouldn't be allowed to play in their own building? I wonder if the east plays in the west and vice versa. Players are really concerned about advantages
Which is weird from a broadcast timing standpoint, unless they go tape delay (which I actually think is more likely than not for the early rounds).
Old 06-08-2020, 07:47 PM   #1511
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
3 Canadian teams? What am I missing here? Aren't all but Ottawa in the play-in round?
Old 06-08-2020, 07:51 PM   #1512
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsFaninCGY View Post
3 Canadian teams? What am I missing here? Aren't all but Ottawa in the play-in round?
The 3 teams being considered as hubs. Edmonton, Vancouver and Toronto.
The Following User Says Thank You to craigwd For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2020, 02:25 PM   #1513
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames making plans to hold training camp in U.S.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...ning-camp-u-s/

Quote:
Due to the Canadian federal government’s 14-day quarantine orders for those entering the country, the Calgary Flames are making plans to hold their training camp in the United States.

“We’ve been looking at that for quite a long time – we’re well down the path,” said Flames GM Brad Treliving Tuesday.

“The logistics have been worked on for a camp in the U.S., if need be. I don’t want guys coming back to Calgary and sitting on their butts for two weeks in their condos and being out of shape when it’s time to go again. It may make more sense for us to have camp in the U.S. so we can have guys together quicker and being productive. The quarantine issue is a big one.”
Quote:
”I think you can do it in a way where you’re not putting anyone in the public in jeopardy,” said Treliving. “One of the ideas that makes sense is you identify who the players are and, yes they would be quarantined, but we’re going to extend your quarantine between your home and the Saddledome. The only place you’re going is a bubble – it’s with a peer group, not the public. And it’s probably the safest, cleanest, most sanitized place in the city of Calgary right now. You’re being tested on a regular basis.

“I don’t want to be jumping out in front of the queue at all, but to me there’s some validity to that idea.”

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
The Following User Says Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2020, 02:30 PM   #1514
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice little queue reference from prior flames gaffes.
Old 06-09-2020, 03:02 PM   #1515
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
Flames making plans to hold training camp in U.S.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...ning-camp-u-s/
I'm not surprised -- heck, doesn't Johnny's dad operate an ice rink? Just send everyone to New Jersey and Guy will get them all the ice they need...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2020, 06:09 PM   #1516
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames should head straight to Vegas. Get climatized , and the best rooms before any body else. Granted Vegas knights would probably say no
Old 06-10-2020, 09:33 PM   #1517
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Sounds like Vegas is going to be one of the hubs.

https://twitter.com/RobFai/

Quote:
NHL: Not sure who the other hub cities are but Las Vegas is in. League has venue(s) financially secured as well as accommodation and transportation.

Las Vegas has been working around the clock on this and has every element prepared from 6-8 teams per hotel to where players will eat, get tested, travel for practices, etc. Four venues for ice time available.

NHL has financially committed to this.

Question is what team’s will be in Las Vegas as some suggestion Knights will NOT be part of this group.

TV/Radio crews in one hotel within proximity while players will be closest with limited elements available to them. Player Safety going to extensive lengths to ensure this “bubble” is air tight knowing what’s at stake.
https://coloradohockeynow.com/2020/0...-nhl-hub-city/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2020, 09:38 PM   #1518
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
As long as it isn't the Pacific that is fine. Maybe the Atlantic?
Old 06-10-2020, 09:41 PM   #1519
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vegas was always the obvious choice...Canadian media/fans are so gullible with this stuff (Edmonton lol)

Brad said today that teams wouldn't play in their own buildings...so I doubt Calgary is in Vegas.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:19 PM   #1520
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Vegas was always the obvious choice...Canadian media/fans are so gullible with this stuff (Edmonton lol)

Brad said today that teams wouldn't play in their own buildings...so I doubt Calgary is in Vegas.
Teams from the west playing in the east makes no sense for TV with the time change. The latest game starting at 8pm est is 5:00 pst. While games starting at 8:00pst is 11:00 est which is a bigger problem as a tape delay is no benefit. For tv reasons the teams have to align with the time zones don’t they?