Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2023, 04:42 PM   #1501
Redlan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It was disparaging to initially see all the anti-agreement rhetoric, cheap shots and personal attacks. I am glad to see some more level headed discussion instead of the “I can yell the loudest until everyone conforms to my opinion” strategy.
Redlan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Redlan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2023, 05:05 PM   #1502
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
All 14 councilors give their reasons on why they support the deal:

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...ing-arena-deal

Encouraging words. It will be interesting to see the full proposal.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2023, 05:13 PM   #1503
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

If anyone wants to vomit in their mouths this afternoon, have a listen to Eric Francis on Steinberg today. And I say that as someone who doesn't mind this deal. Woah Nelly what a sycophant.
Major Major is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2023, 05:39 PM   #1504
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
If anyone wants to vomit in their mouths this afternoon, have a listen to Eric Francis on Steinberg today. And I say that as someone who doesn't mind this deal. Woah Nelly what a sycophant.
Eric knows where his bread is buttered.
Old 04-28-2023, 05:40 PM   #1505
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
The last 3 NHL arenas that were built (T-Mobile, UBS and Climate Pledge) were each privately financed.

While they are bigger markets, I still think we're being fed a bunch of nonsense about how it's impossible for do this without taxpayer dollars.
New York 9X Calgary, Seattle 4X Calgary, Las Vegas is the entertainment capital of North America. So you can't just brush this aside like it doesn't mean anything when it means everything.

Quebec City, Edmonton, and Winnipeg are our comparables.
DiracSpike is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2023, 05:48 PM   #1506
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I can't wait for all of your taxes to go up.
Our taxes always go up.

At least this time, we get an arena.
Old 04-28-2023, 06:16 PM   #1507
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieuwy-89 View Post
I’m kind of disgusted that a forum of Calgary Flames fans can’t get behind this. This deal will keep the Flames in Calgary for the long term, make us competitive with other Canadian franchises, and breathe new life into a tired downtown core. For the first time in a year, my kids are excited about the future of the Flames.

This thread is a total downer at a very low point in the “hockey” part of the franchise. A new arena anchoring an entertainment district in the heart of your city is something to be excited about. The proof is in the pudding - look at any major new sports development in North America. This will be amazing for the Flames and for Calgary.

Agreed!

The franchise was already taking a decent hit with how dated and decrepit the Dome is, so having a modern event center along with the outdoor practice facility is a huge positive to look forward to seeing and experiencing.

The redevelopment and revitalization of the area adjacent to the event center will be a huge boost for the local community for a long time to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2023, 06:46 PM   #1508
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
listened briefly while driving , sort of gave up after he called our current Premier the 'smartest person he knows', which upon further reflection is both fascinating and also as good a summary of our current woes as any I've heard
looooob is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2023, 06:53 PM   #1509
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can't wait for all of your taxes to go up.

What a stupid statement, our taxes go up you gain nothing. And this contribute nothing to the discussion. As Flames fan, we are happy to have a new arena. Some of us might not like the $$ contribute to it but for someone doesn't live in the city to say something like that? What the purpose? Just eff off.
midniteowl is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midniteowl For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2023, 06:57 PM   #1510
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
New York 9X Calgary, Seattle 4X Calgary, Las Vegas is the entertainment capital of North America. So you can't just brush this aside like it doesn't mean anything when it means everything.

Quebec City, Edmonton, and Winnipeg are our comparables.
For comparison, Scotiabank is paying $40mil a year for 20 years for naming rights of the Leafs arena. I'm pretty sure if the Flames had an 800mil naming rights agreement waiting in the wings we would have a new stadium right now. As you suggest market size matters for many things.

Seattle used the arena to get an expansion team and it also trying to get an NBA team back.

Vegas was getting an expansion team and the arena will be full 365 nights a year.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 09:46 PM   #1511
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
What a stupid statement, our taxes go up you gain nothing. And this contribute nothing to the discussion. As Flames fan, we are happy to have a new arena. Some of us might not like the $$ contribute to it but for someone doesn't live in the city to say something like that? What the purpose? Just eff off.
I really had to use the green text hey? Must’ve been a long week, have a beer or a joint and relax, you’ll feel better!
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2023, 11:55 PM   #1512
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I really had to use the green text hey? Must’ve been a long week, have a beer or a joint and relax, you’ll feel better!

I'm 15 years sober, thanks.
midniteowl is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to midniteowl For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2023, 05:49 AM   #1513
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Our taxes always go up.

At least this time, we get an arena.
No you don't, you will be granted the option to pay (top dollar) to temporarily access the arena

YOU get sweet #### all

Unless the city gets revenue from concerts or at the VERY least from parking this is nothing but corporate welfare
Scornfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 07:41 AM   #1514
GeeYYC
Draft Pick

To say it is corporate welfare is simply not correct. Area redevelopment/revitalization is what all cities have to do to keep modern and increase tax generation.
GeeYYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 07:56 AM   #1515
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Corporate welfare happens all the time. The amount of tax breaks and benefits given to attract and retain business is something people just aren't aware of, and those numbers can be staggering. You don't get head offices to relocate to your city without throwing them an extremely lucrative bone. My god, if the usual pearl clutchers had been around to see what the CoC did to bring CP Rail to town back in '96 it would have been mayhem. You have to make it worth the interest's while to come here and then keep them happy. That comes through tax breaks and subsidies to get things done, like build infrastructure and lease over-priced office space in the glass towers of the downtown core.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 08:11 AM   #1516
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Everyone knows corporate welfare happens all the time, the issue is that this specific instance of corporate welfare is especially silly.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2023, 08:26 AM   #1517
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post
No you don't, you will be granted the option to pay (top dollar) to temporarily access the arena

YOU get sweet #### all

Unless the city gets revenue from concerts or at the VERY least from parking this is nothing but corporate welfare
Don’t really agree with this line of thinking. If the expectation is one only ‘gets something’ when their dollars goes to an institution or public amenity that is free to use, how do you reconcile that with other aspects of commerce? Is there no enjoyable aspect whatsoever to be taken into account here? Absolutely nothing gained from the redevelopment of Victoria park and the entertainment district this will push forward? Do those potential hotel/multi-family/retail/hospitality developments that will follow not pay taxes as well?

When you purchase an airline ticket to go on a holiday, what tangible good do you receive? Nothing. Actually that’s not fair, you get a bag of pretzels and a nonalcoholic beverage. It’s about the experience of going somewhere enjoyable. What happens when airlines raise ticket prices? Do you write sharply worded letters to WestJet? What about tipping your server when you go out to a restaurant? What about paying for parking? People spend money every day, multiple times some days, that you can question whether there’s a tangible benefit or not. You pay for the experience.

I’ll acknowledge these things aren’t exactly the same but it strikes me as curious people get so bent out of shape about where their tax dollars go, especially when it’s a relative small amount. I think I saw a quick calculation earlier that said this deal effectively means each albertan will pay ~$7.78/year for 35 years. That’s about half the cost of a Bigmac Meal. What do we get for that? The community rink and infrastructure to help support revitalization of Victoria Park.

I attended a real estate conference earlier this year where Dashpreet Bahdi, who is leading the development of the Green Line spoke. Calgary’s population is now over 1.6 million and is forecasted to be 2.5 million in 10 years. This City is on an upward trajectory and, I don’t think I’m alone here, would like nice things to enjoy. I like things like the river walk, peace bridge, central library, east village, and many other things public money has contributed to. These things are necessary for the community. And I’m betting that once this project is complete, most will see this as a benefit to it.

We will get much more than ‘sweet #### all’.

Last edited by TOfan; 04-29-2023 at 08:31 AM.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2023, 08:28 AM   #1518
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post

YOU get sweet #### all

Sweet #### all? As a taxpayer I get:

a revitalized lower east village (desperately needed)
a new event centre (desperately needed), catching us up with every other city in NA
more events, concerts, etc here every year (very welcome)
a renewed 35 year contract with the team, to stay here

People talk like the only thing that will happen in the building is Flames games. But the event centre, and the surrounding developed area, will be here the other 250 days a year also, and I am willing to bet that every single (local) person that has said on here that they will never step into it, will have attended something there, within a year or two of it being built (unless they stay away, purely out of spite).

People are very welcome to say that they don't want to spend a nickel going to a game - and that's fine, you do you. You are free to not like the deal, but the crap that gets made up in here is pretty ridiculous.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 08:31 AM   #1519
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Everyone knows corporate welfare happens all the time, the issue is that this specific instance of corporate welfare is especially silly.
Is it? Or is this just the one that people are actually aware of, because it is completely public in detail. Lanny_MacDonald is right, this is how things get done. And for the people saying some arenas have been built with no public money, there may be a few in the very largest cities, but otherwise, they almost invariably include tax breaks, free land, promotional rights, and/or other incentives.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2023, 08:34 AM   #1520
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
listened briefly while driving , sort of gave up after he called our current Premier the 'smartest person he knows', which upon further reflection is both fascinating and also as good a summary of our current woes as any I've heard
He’s met Murray Edwards who, despite everything else, is hella smart. I assume he’s met his own mom, and Diane Francis is smarter than Smith.

Hell, my mom is smarter than Smith.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote