Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2020, 08:58 AM   #1501
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a problem with my natural gas bbq not turning on.

Turns out it's because I always left the valve on. Now I turn the valve on and off every time I grill, and I haven't had a problem in a year.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:06 AM   #1502
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nope stays open all summer. We don't really bbq in the winter, so ill close it when we cover it up for the winter.

Unimportant side story. Last spring I think it was somehow a thunderstorm managed to blow my bbq off the deck. It got all bent and busted up, except for the internals. It pissed me off that, that could actually happen, and I was also annoyed that the cast iron grates on the Broil Mates were really crappy and started to rust within a couple months. I spent all winter trying to decide if I wanted a Weber, traegar or Egg or even a charcoal sidekick to replace that stupid thing. Then covid hit and we lost 75% of our household income so I didn't think dropping 1000$ plus into a bbq was the greatest idea so I spent 50$ on some new porcelain covered stainless steel grates and kept using the thing. Turned out to be a great decision. Those bbqs are made of cast aluminum so they don't really rust, so I don't even cover the stupid thing. Plus with the porcelain covered grates as long as your not using a metal brush and piercing the coating, they won't rust either. It gets great heat and pretty even heat too. It also turns out the idea of cleaning a pellet or charcoal grill after each use isn't really my style. It cooks 90% of what we want to and we'll throw a smoker box on if we want some smoked fish or something. So ill stick with that ugly but useful hunk of junk until it dies and probably replace it with something similar.

/End, boring bbq story.
sa226 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:17 AM   #1503
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I had a problem with my natural gas bbq not turning on.

Turns out it's because I always left the valve on. Now I turn the valve on and off every time I grill, and I haven't had a problem in a year.
That doesn't seem real, seems like a coincidence, what was the issue?
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:45 AM   #1504
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Usually it's reported as in the valve, but I don't get how that causes the BBQ not to turn on or gas not to come out.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 11:03 AM   #1505
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
Nope stays open all summer. We don't really bbq in the winter, so ill close it when we cover it up for the winter.

Unimportant side story. Last spring I think it was somehow a thunderstorm managed to blow my bbq off the deck. It got all bent and busted up, except for the internals. It pissed me off that, that could actually happen, and I was also annoyed that the cast iron grates on the Broil Mates were really crappy and started to rust within a couple months. I spent all winter trying to decide if I wanted a Weber, traegar or Egg or even a charcoal sidekick to replace that stupid thing. Then covid hit and we lost 75% of our household income so I didn't think dropping 1000$ plus into a bbq was the greatest idea so I spent 50$ on some new porcelain covered stainless steel grates and kept using the thing. Turned out to be a great decision. Those bbqs are made of cast aluminum so they don't really rust, so I don't even cover the stupid thing. Plus with the porcelain covered grates as long as your not using a metal brush and piercing the coating, they won't rust either. It gets great heat and pretty even heat too. It also turns out the idea of cleaning a pellet or charcoal grill after each use isn't really my style. It cooks 90% of what we want to and we'll throw a smoker box on if we want some smoked fish or something. So ill stick with that ugly but useful hunk of junk until it dies and probably replace it with something similar.

/End, boring bbq story.
So, you have a beat up BBQ with new grates sitting on your deck? My imagination is a bit more active than most, but I didn't find your BBQ story boring.

Since it's usable, I'm more imagining your BBQ has patina character than looking like hunk of scrap metal.

On a different note, has anyone ever charcoal grilled a fish before? Anything to pay attention to?

And I forgot to mention (cool story bro, plus no pics), but I was grilling pork with my dad over the weekend and he was like, "Gotta slather liquid honey on it." and he was right as it was damn tasty pork.

Then my wife asked if we needed carbs to keep from getting hungry later, so I pulled out the only carb I had on hand which was frozen pre-made naan bread from Superstore. I made one and it was very good and we were all satisfied with the meal. Charcoal was far better than heating it up on a pan.

My dad then looks at the leftover liquid honey from the pork and the remaining pack of naan bread and says, "I'm going to experiment." We finished the entire pack of naan bread with his successful experiment and food coma'd for the rest of the evening.

Man, I never thought I'd have so much fun with this cheap portable charcoal BBQ. I'm basically looking at everything and wondering if it will taste better grilled with charcoal than other cooking methods. God forbid I run out of things to try and I decide to grill a solid block of tofu or something.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2020, 12:04 PM   #1506
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post

/End, boring bbq story.
You using natural gas or propane? Natural gas will cause grates to rust much faster, as it has water in it.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:09 PM   #1507
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Long shot, but here goes:

I bought a Weber Genesis II 4-burner natural gas grill. Wow, what a great grill. I've had it about 1.5 years.

My problem is it only works sometimes. I'll grill something for dinner, preheat the grill full blast no problem. Turn it down to desired temp then grill.

I'll go back a few days or a week later, turn it on and, nothing. No gas is getting to the burners. There's no smell and no distinct but subtle hissing of the gas entering the burners. I try full blast, medium, minimal, nothing. I disconnect the hose from the house, and I use a tool or my finger to press down on the stopper and gas comes out. I killed the pilot light on my gas fireplace incase there wasn't enough gas pressure or something, and the grill still doesn't get any gas. Super frustrated, I have to think of something else for dinner.

I go back a week later, and the damn thing works again.

Does anyone have any ideas? I gotta think there's a blockage or something in the hose (it's not kinked anywhere) but it doesn't explain why it works 50% of the time. I plan on calling Weber, but I thought I'd poll the horde here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
When you turn the grill off after making your dinner, do you turn the knobs to OFF position and then turn gas off at the "floor" or wherever your gas line is or do you turn the gas off at the floor first with your knobs in the ON position?

I believe you should always shut the gas source off before touching the knobs.
What you describe sounds a lot like air in the gas line.
Quote:
I had the problem and someone earlier in the thread suggested the valve. I tried that method and haven't had a problem since.

Not sure what to think now...
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:57 PM   #1508
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
You using natural gas or propane? Natural gas will cause grates to rust much faster, as it has water in it.
lol, wut?
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2020, 05:20 PM   #1509
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Am I the only one who just leaves the natural gas valve/propane tank open all the time?
yup, we always leave it on, never had an issue.

I do know a lot of people who always close it though.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:06 PM   #1510
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Am I the only one who just leaves the natural gas valve/propane tank open all the time?

Username checks out.

I do too. Our BBQ is on the balcony and it’s not practical to walk around behind it to turn the knob on/off.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:08 PM   #1511
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any good marinades for just vegetables on skewers? Been mostly doing mushrooms, eggplant, zucchini, peppers with the sesame dressing from Costco, but wouldn’t mind some variety. We usually eat the grilled vegetables on rice after. We tried just olive oil once and it was kind of bland.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:18 PM   #1512
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get Nona's balsamic reduction from Costco, it's delicious, and works great on grilled veggies with a little oil, S&P.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2020, 08:00 PM   #1513
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

My favorite for veggies has always been olive oil and garlic plus. In fact you can put that on almost anything before grilling and it's delicious.
indes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:05 PM   #1514
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Any good marinades for just vegetables on skewers? Been mostly doing mushrooms, eggplant, zucchini, peppers with the sesame dressing from Costco, but wouldn’t mind some variety. We usually eat the grilled vegetables on rice after. We tried just olive oil once and it was kind of bland.
Seasoning is the key. Olive oil with the right amount of salt will make incredible veggies.

Salt/pepper, fresh garlic/shallots/onions/ginger/any fresh herbs you like. Find your jam.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:17 PM   #1515
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I had the problem and someone earlier in the thread suggested the valve. I tried that method and haven't had a problem since.

Not sure what to think now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
yup, we always leave it on, never had an issue.

I do know a lot of people who always close it though.
Quote:
Username checks out.

I do too. Our BBQ is on the balcony and it’s not practical to walk around behind it to turn the knob on/off.
I leave my gas valve open all the time. It has never even occurred to me that I should turn off the gas at the valve. I have had a natural gas grill for about 15 years now and the valve is always open, unless I need to disconnect the hose or something, and I have never had any issues.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 07-30-2020 at 08:54 PM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2020, 08:44 PM   #1516
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not marinades, but for Eggplant, I like slicing it into wide flat wedges, dipping it in olive oil and adding salt, pepper and Parmesan before grilling it. For other veggies, olive oil, salt and cumin skewer style.

A little bit of sesame oil into the mix also adds a nice extra bit of fragrance.

Rice wise, try getting some rice vinegar and adding some salt and pepper per the rice vinegar bottle instructions (I only usually do half the requested amount of each per the instructions) to basically make sushi rice. Works better with Calrose rice than Jasmine if you have the option of choosing rice types. Honestly speaking, I tried Calrose rice and I'm perfectly fine paying the premium over jasmine rice going forward. Better flavour and texture.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/99...ct-sushi-rice/

After making this rice, I also like to combine it with seaweed and avocado to make basic avocado rolls.
It's kinda insane how much sugar goes into the rice.

Also, TIL that grilling fish will attract wasps. They don't give a damn about honey, s'mores etc. But grill a fish and a party of wasps show up.

Last edited by DoubleF; 07-30-2020 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:05 PM   #1517
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Get Nona's balsamic reduction from Costco, it's delicious, and works great on grilled veggies with a little oil, S&P.
Most grocery stores carry Nona's balsamic reduction.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2020, 06:53 PM   #1518
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

I need a brisket for Thursday. Going to try the sous/vide smoke approach. Any suggestions where to find a good specimen?
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:00 PM   #1519
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
I need a brisket for Thursday. Going to try the sous/vide smoke approach. Any suggestions where to find a good specimen?
Master Meats
Old 07-31-2020, 07:41 PM   #1520
Biff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Sav-on foods has triple A brisket on sale for under $8/kg ($3.99/lb)
Biff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biff For This Useful Post:

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber