Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2017, 02:38 PM   #1501
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have seen a lot more concrete basements needing massive repairs than wood. Of all the wood foundations I've seen not one was compromised in any way.

Cracks, bows, heaves. So many ways for a foundation to fail but it all boils down to proper construction.

Even if a wall is having issues there are better options than replacing the entire foundation. It is pretty rare to have to replace an entire foundation of any material.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:19 PM   #1502
d00little
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
I have seen a lot more concrete basements needing massive repairs than wood. Of all the wood foundations I've seen not one was compromised in any way.

Cracks, bows, heaves. So many ways for a foundation to fail but it all boils down to proper construction.

Even if a wall is having issues there are better options than replacing the entire foundation. It is pretty rare to have to replace an entire foundation of any material.
Yeah, my only reasoning for considering this option was if a new foundation costs (let's say) $50K and it would get you a resale price $75K higher (in addition to selling in a fraction of the time), it would seem like it would be a good investment.
d00little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:37 PM   #1503
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I have a jackass neighbour who has been "renovating" his house and yard just down the alley from me. Started in July. Looks like it's just him and his Bobcat and his buddy. Thus far he built a new deck (whatever, that part looks nice) but now he's put up an eyesore of a 3'+ concrete pony wall (built the forms himself out of old fence boards) with about an 8' fence on top to separate his yard from the alley. Built himself a pad in the alley out of left over concrete for his bins too. Did I mention the doorway in the fence that drops 3' down? I don't see how a monstrosity like this project could not contravene a bylaw or two.

This guy has never been one to have friendly interactions with the neighbourhood, but now he's taken pissing off the neighbourhood to a whole new level. Always starts after 7:00am and ends right at 10:00, so he's not technically breaking any noise laws, but we've been listening to this amateur show for 8 weeks now. Forget sleeping in a bit, going to bed early with the window open, or enjoying your deck.

My wife thinks we should just call by-law on him. Is there actually a way to have those boys casually happen to come by and check this thing out?
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:42 PM   #1504
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That fence is probably illegal height and he can't pour concrete in the alley, unless it is inside his property line. Call 311. Unfortunately it will probably lead to a longer period of noise as he fixes all of it.

And now you made me feel guilty for my garage build...though I'm usually done by 7:00pm because I'm worn out by then! I don't use noisy stuff until 9:00am.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:11 PM   #1505
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d00little View Post
Yeah, my only reasoning for considering this option was if a new foundation costs (let's say) $50K and it would get you a resale price $75K higher (in addition to selling in a fraction of the time), it would seem like it would be a good investment.
If your willing to sink 50K into reno's to flip a house you would be much better off updating something from the 80's (kitchens and baths) then replacing a foundation that is structurally sound.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:40 AM   #1506
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
If your willing to sink 50K into reno's to flip a house you would be much better off updating something from the 80's (kitchens and baths) then replacing a foundation that is structurally sound.
When someone giving advice randomly uses apostrophe s, doesn't understand the difference between "then" and "than", and "your" and "you're"...

Let me break down what you just said as the receiver of your advice: "If my willing to skin 50k into reno (possessive) to flip a house I would be much better off updating something from the 80's. Afterwards, replace a foundation that is structurally sound."

Last edited by jwslam; 08-30-2017 at 06:44 AM.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:16 AM   #1507
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd rather take renovation advice from someone in the industry that sucks at English than an English major who knows nothing about foundations...

Maybe he is on his phone, maybe in a rush, maybe had a Pilsner or 15...doesn't mean his advice is bad.

...and you spelled "sink" wrong...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 07:22 AM   #1508
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
When someone giving advice randomly uses apostrophe s, doesn't understand the difference between "then" and "than", and "your" and "you're"...

Let me break down what you just said as the receiver of your advice: "If my willing to skin 50k into reno (possessive) to flip a house I would be much better off updating something from the 80's. Afterwards, replace a foundation that is structurally sound."
When someone is a dink.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 07:30 AM   #1509
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Is this necessary?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 08:02 AM   #1510
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

You got me on the bad grammar but my opinion still stands.

Thanks for the defense Fuzz, I don't think I should be considered exactly in the industry, I've just done a lot of renos, and have been subcontracting on the side for a few years. I have owned houses with structural issues, and built a couple basement suites in houses with foundation issues (which we resolved).

I have a lot of connections in town in real estate and construction, and have dealt with engineers to repair, replace, and shore up foundations, but I wouldn't consider myself an expert. Just a handyman who will tackle almost anything.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:14 AM   #1511
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
You got me on the bad grammar but my opinion still stands.
I'm not picking on you for bad advice, I'm just saying that the way it's written says to do the kitchen/bathroom, followed by doing the foundation after. That's the difference between 'then' and 'than'.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:29 AM   #1512
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

It seems to me that you are just being pedantic about grammar when it was pretty clear what he was getting at.

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:32 AM   #1513
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not picking on you for bad advice, I'm just saying that the way it's written says to do the kitchen/bathroom, followed by doing the foundation after. That's the difference between 'then' and 'than'.
Now if you could just figure out periods and commas we could build a decent basement at a good price.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:37 AM   #1514
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
It seems to me that you are just being pedantic about grammar when it was pretty clear what he was getting at.
Tell that to the guy who reads that and goes to do a bathroom/kitchen reno, followed by fixing the foundation.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:44 AM   #1515
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Tell that to the guy who reads that and goes to do a bathroom/kitchen reno, followed by fixing the foundation.
That will never happen now because of you. You're a hero, pat yourself on the back.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 08:54 AM   #1516
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Read his post again, he is advocating spending that money on a kitchen or bathroom instead of fixing something that isn't broken.

It is obvious that you completely overlooked that to jump on a guy about his grammar. Now you won't back down from your position by going Kayne West on him.

"I respect your opinion and imma let you finish but before you give advice make sure that your grammar is correct."

Keep that up, it's a great way to earn respect around here.

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:51 PM   #1517
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know what the rules are for running construction equipment at night in a residential neighborhood? Ass-hat neighbor is at it again in the back alley with his bobcat at 9:30pm, and the kids can't sleep because of the constant scraping and beeping.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:56 PM   #1518
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Does anyone know what the rules are for running construction equipment at night in a residential neighborhood? Ass-hat neighbor is at it again in the back alley with his bobcat at 9:30pm, and the kids can't sleep because of the constant scraping and beeping.
He's good until 10PM
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:59 PM   #1519
s_procee
Backup Goalie

Exp:

He is permitted to until 10, he is just not constructing by "good neighbour" standards.

You should check to see if he has a permit or if there are safety violations.

Had to edit before Mr. Grammer show's up
s_procee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:55 PM   #1520
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_procee View Post
He is permitted to until 10, he is just not constructing by "good neighbour" standards.

You should check to see if he has a permit or if there are safety violations.

Had to edit before Mr. Grammer show's up
Did you mean: Grammar
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote