Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2024, 11:35 AM   #14981
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry, I should clarify for some that dont understand the terminology.

"Deemed Sold" doesnt mean "Actually Sold."

You're just re-adjusting the Adjusted Cost Base to the more current time.

Its like selling the shares, but only selling them to your wife at that price at that moment.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2024, 11:36 AM   #14982
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
They were willed to my mother, so no, they weren’t sold.
Uh. They technically were. Thats Taxes.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-06-2024, 11:37 AM   #14983
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Why, because they're black?

Jesus fotze can we go one page without this!
I love flavour flave.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2024, 11:47 AM   #14984
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They were willed to my mother, so no, they weren’t sold.
Oh. And if this is your understanding, it is entirely possible your Accountant doesnt know jack about Estate Taxes. You might want to look into that.

Old 05-06-2024, 01:11 PM   #14985
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

People and phones. If I haven't answered your previous ten phone calls or four voicemails, I'm probably not going to.

Also, if I don't answer your call, what makes you think that if you call back again immediately I'm going to answer it?
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2024, 01:22 PM   #14986
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Hi, my name is Blaster86. First time poster in this thread, but long time reader. I finally got something.

It's some of the boomerest #### that can ever be boomered too. So for those that don't know, I work in retail management running a chain of liquor stores. In the lower mainland we've got that lovely mandatory charge for a bag thing. So all my staff are trained to make sure they ask the customer if they'd like a bag as a part of their initial greeting.

Older folks will always say no, some will make a snide remark about paying for a bag. Then after the payment is processed, some think they're clever and ask for the bag after the transaction is done. They will then get offended when they're still charged the quarter. It's not a one off thing. It's not more in one particular place or the other. It's like some sort of universal boomer bag con that they all have built in.

Just really annoying.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2024, 01:37 PM   #14987
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Oh. And if this is your understanding, it is entirely possible your Accountant doesnt know jack about Estate Taxes. You might want to look into that.
I know a guy
Old 05-06-2024, 01:52 PM   #14988
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Uh. They technically were. Thats Taxes.
Well, spousal rollover though?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 02:09 PM   #14989
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Erm, I'm pretty sure there's a spousal rollover available isn't there?

EDIT: Damn Slava beat me to it. But hey, for completeness' sake:

Spoiler!
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 05-06-2024 at 02:14 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 02:29 PM   #14990
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So my dad has a RIF. Its been sold according to Locke. Strike price has happened. Is there no reason to just move it to an accessible account. Right.

GIC's mature in a few months, how the hell does that work. Interest up to death date on the dad and then what about interest after that? Things TD Bank should be able to answer but can't.
Old 05-06-2024, 02:41 PM   #14991
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My sister is her accountant, she knows plenty, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Exactly. She sold none of them. The bank manager apologized to my mother when the person she was dealing with kept insisting that she needed to sell. She does get taxed on them, yes, she pretty much lives off the dividends.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 03:12 PM   #14992
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Hi, my name is Blaster86. First time poster in this thread, but long time reader. I finally got something.

It's some of the boomerest #### that can ever be boomered too. So for those that don't know, I work in retail management running a chain of liquor stores. In the lower mainland we've got that lovely mandatory charge for a bag thing. So all my staff are trained to make sure they ask the customer if they'd like a bag as a part of their initial greeting.

Older folks will always say no, some will make a snide remark about paying for a bag. Then after the payment is processed, some think they're clever and ask for the bag after the transaction is done. They will then get offended when they're still charged the quarter. It's not a one off thing. It's not more in one particular place or the other. It's like some sort of universal boomer bag con that they all have built in.

Just really annoying.
Plastic bags at a liquor store has always seemed non-sensical to me. I'm not trusting more than one bottle or sixer to a bag (and even then I don't really trust it)...in which case I could just carry that in my hands anyways.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 03:15 PM   #14993
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post

Just really annoying.
Old people..........

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 03:16 PM   #14994
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Quote:

Exactly. She sold none of them. The bank manager apologized to my mother when the person she was dealing with kept insisting that she needed to sell. She does get taxed on them, yes, she pretty much lives off the dividends.
Sorry, I thought these were being rolled to you or other recipients rather than a spouse, if it was just a Spousal roll-over this should have been effectively effortless.

Old 05-06-2024, 03:33 PM   #14995
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I thought they were considered sold on death day, but I have no idea.
Old 05-06-2024, 03:39 PM   #14996
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
I thought they were considered sold on death day, but I have no idea.
If they go to another beneficiary, but not if they're rolled over to a Spouse.

Old 05-06-2024, 05:05 PM   #14997
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Sunrise Records are such rip off merchants. A few years back, I got into vinyl and shopped there often. Their jazz albums were always nicely priced between $22-27 and I picked up a bunch as was just getting into the genre. My music buying dropped off for a few years but I'm getting back into it recently and decided to pop in. The exact same albums (same pressings) I bought are now doubled in price. Likewise a Max Richter double LP that I would've paid no more than $35 for when I bought it is now $72! They literally must just have doubled the price of everything once they noticed vinyl becoming more and more popular.

I managed to snag one jazz album today for $22 but only because it had found its way into the regular rock/pop section and must've been missed in their price hike.
The Following User Says Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2024, 05:20 PM   #14998
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
Sunrise Records are such rip off merchants. A few years back, I got into vinyl and shopped there often. Their jazz albums were always nicely priced between $22-27 and I picked up a bunch as was just getting into the genre. My music buying dropped off for a few years but I'm getting back into it recently and decided to pop in. The exact same albums (same pressings) I bought are now doubled in price. Likewise a Max Richter double LP that I would've paid no more than $35 for when I bought it is now $72! They literally must just have doubled the price of everything once they noticed vinyl becoming more and more popular.

I managed to snag one jazz album today for $22 but only because it had found its way into the regular rock/pop section and must've been missed in their price hike.
Every business run by Sunrise Records’ parent company is basically synonymous with shady/manipulative pricing practices.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2024, 05:42 PM   #14999
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My sister is her accountant, she knows plenty, thanks

Estate Taxes are getting harder every year. Its like Banks have never dealt with people who have died before, its unreal.

And they take longer and longer and longer...its ridiculous.

This stuff isnt that hard but Executors are put through the wringer and Banks take EONS to get this stuff done. Its getting beyond ridiculous.

Old 05-06-2024, 07:47 PM   #15000
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So, I’m learning that the only way two parents working households work is that it doesn’t. There’s no ####ing way to meet the demands of parenting and of a half-decent career that I can see.

All I heard for years was I need to make more money. Finally get the more money job which comes with way more responsibility and wouldn’t you know it, doesn’t mean #### how important it is because my kids gotta get dropped off and picked up. And it’s so goddamn aggravating having a partner who makes more because you know damn well whose schedule gets trumped.

It’s brutal man. Like, the most important week that probably makes or breaks my career trajectory and does anyone give a ####? No, because we sure as hell can’t afford to lose her income if she can’t meet her demands.

Guess I could find a 12hr daycare and spend ALL the money and then some to lose all the time with my kid.

Sometimes man I could just cry. How the #### do you guys do it?