Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2023, 07:30 PM   #14941
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camm13 View Post
Blurb from the athletic in Sept by Pierre Lebrun:

Kadri, meanwhile, is believed to have turned down a six-year offer from another club worth $8.5 million AAV pretty early in free agency. The fit obviously wasn’t right for him.

I also think given Kadri’s relationship with his old GM in Toronto, Lou Lamoriello, that some of the wait-and-see approach was seeing if the Islanders would be able to move cap space and make Kadri a contract offer. There was definitely interest in Kadri from the Islanders.

Ferris, when contacted this week, would not disclose what other teams were in on Kadri, beyond saying it came down to three clubs before his client chose the Flames. Once Treliving realized he had a real shot at Kadri, he dug in hard.
I would expect nothing less than lies from scum like Ferris.
Spurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 07:33 PM   #14942
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs View Post
I think expecting Kadri to be a PPG player is expecting way too much. He has done that once in 11 NHL seasons.
I think you’re right but I don’t think the Flames expect him to be a ppg player. They probably see h as a 65-70 point guy who is a fierce competitor. We didn’t see that later part of that expectation in the last half of the season and there’s probably a few contributing factors at play.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2023, 07:37 PM   #14943
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
I think you’re right but I don’t think the Flames expect him to be a ppg player. They probably see h as a 65-70 point guy who is a fierce competitor. We didn’t see that later part of that expectation in the last half of the season and there’s probably a few contributing factors at play.
I don’t think (hope) they see him as a PPG player either but even 65-70 is a wildly high expectation for his age/history. I think the biggest contributing factor is his lack of ability to reach those numbers.
Old 05-14-2023, 07:54 PM   #14944
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like there is always talk about Avs trading Girard.

Kadri for Girard? What would we have to add or retain?
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 07:55 PM   #14945
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post

Kadri makes 2 million more I think an additional 2 years? Retain and add a 2nd IMO
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 08:36 PM   #14946
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

To save on cap, not to increase it.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 08:39 PM   #14947
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I haven’t looked at the Avs cap space but isn’t a big reason they want to move Girard is his salary? I can’t imagine they would want to add long term cap like Kadri has.
Old 05-15-2023, 07:46 PM   #14948
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1658157566436818944

https://twitter.com/user/status/1658154209202647071
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 07:48 PM   #14949
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought wingers like that want to be the 4th guy rather than the main guy.
Means they're on a better team and they have less pressure.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 07:49 PM   #14950
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh ok Colorado that's nice.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 07:52 PM   #14951
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

He doesn't want to be the 4th guy, so send him to Colorado?

Okay then.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2023, 08:14 PM   #14952
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
He doesn't want to be the 4th guy, so send him to Colorado?

Okay then.

If he truly believes he's better than the 4th guy his ego is simply inflated. On a cup contender he may be a 3rd option, but 4th seems perfect for him. He's a skilled north-south skater. You make him your 1st or 2nd option there's a huge chance defenders just shut him down with his smaller stature.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 12:25 AM   #14953
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Nylander doesn't want to be #4 on the Leafs forever, Colorado likely won't float his boat either, where he would be at the most, #3. Of course, if it was a trade, he wouldn't have a say in it anyway since I don't think he has any clauses.

I know one team where he would be a #1 though...
Old 05-16-2023, 01:13 AM   #14954
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t think (hope) they see him as a PPG player either but even 65-70 is a wildly high expectation for his age/history. I think the biggest contributing factor is his lack of ability to reach those numbers.
Agreed. I doubt he ever sniffs 65-70 points during his tenure with the Flames. Heck, even when he signed, I figured he’d be a 55-60 point centre for the Flames and I was ok with that. So long as he played a good 200ft game. The PPG was an outlier in Colorado.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 06:17 AM   #14955
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do think Kadri has a 70+ point season in him, simply because scoring has increased tremendously and it's way easier to get 70 points than it has been for the majority of Kadri's career.

I still think the contract is an anchor though.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 07:24 AM   #14956
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nylander would be a great fit. I dunno how they fit him in contract wise and he’s a pending UFA just like Backlund and Lindholm (and will ask for more than those guys).

If Toronto thought Markstrom could rebound there and wanted Tanev as a Gio replacement - maybe something could be done.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 07:28 AM   #14957
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

hard to see us having any pieces that would interest the Leafs if they were to trade Nylander and as mentioned above with our contract situations not sure it would be easy to fit him in and keep the players that we would need to make a move like that make sense.
Old 05-16-2023, 07:45 AM   #14958
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
hard to see us having any pieces that would interest the Leafs if they were to trade Nylander and as mentioned above with our contract situations not sure it would be easy to fit him in and keep the players that we would need to make a move like that make sense.
I think it depends what the market is and who is available. With Knies knocking on the door of a top 6 role and the Leafs inability to take a run, it wouldn’t be surprising if one of Nylander or Marner is moved. If they do make that move it seems reasonable that they would want to bolster their D. like the flames, there’s an opportunity to deal from a position of strength.

I could see the Leafs having interest in Hanifin. It would take more than Hanifin, I believe, to land either one of the two. Who knows have the other pieces sort themselves out but I don’t think a Hanifin - Nylander deal, as the primary pieces, is out of question.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 07:54 AM   #14959
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
First of all I don't understand why the Flames would be trading for Nylander unless it's a sign and trade. The Leafs badly need to improve their defense group and the Flames have plenty of players that will help them. Anderson's probably the one they would covet most but he's probably the lone untradeable player on the Flames roster. Tanev and Hanafin would be clear upgrades for the Leafs but I really don't see a lot the Leafs have to offer that's intriguing outside of maybe Knies but he wouldn't be enough as you need to get more for Hanafin for sure.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 08:10 AM   #14960
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Nylander is a fine player, but I feel like we'd be running into the same issue as we already are with Lindholm. We would have a good few years out of him and then we'd have yet another 30's player on our team when we need to start getting youth in this lineup and hopefully someone down the road pops. Acquiring Nylander (assuming at the expense of Lindholm/Hanifin/Tanev+) is only a lateral move, and also taking away a potential top 6 spot from Coronato if Toffoli is staying.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post: