Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2023, 06:55 PM   #14941
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
I think NDP are the ones in trouble. Does Notley go for the rare hat trick of defeat next time around?
Why are they in trouble? They made gains, not lost them like the UCP did. Your 'whataboutism' doesn't work here in the slightest.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 07:11 PM   #14942
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
You should be worried about the long-term trend of this. The UCP lost seats in the last election, and has now lost the vote of the majority in the two major cities, which is also the majority of Alberta's voting base. 2027 isn't trending in their favour. They may want to try governing a little more intelligently over the next 3.5 years, instead of placating to a red meat base that is shrinking and migration and demographics continue to change from what they used to be in this province.
That's not how this works. You just move slightly towards the middle for 3 months then announce some funding for an arena in a battleground a few months before the election. The rest of the term is for making your base happy by fishing for lib tears
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2023, 07:15 PM   #14943
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
That's not how this works. You just move slightly towards the middle for 3 months then announce some funding for an arena in a battleground a few months before the election. The rest of the term is for making your base happy by fishing for lib tears
Sadly you're right. And even still, they lost seats, and have now lost the majority of the two major cities. 2027 will be very interesting.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 07:25 PM   #14944
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Everything she does is a precursor to separation, and it's pretty wild people don't see that.

100%. Sell the APP really hard with optimistic numbers, get people excited, win a referendum, then guaranteed 7of10 provinces will not approve this. Bingo! Constitutional crisis! Must separate to satisfy the will of the people. It’s in their playbook.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 07:30 PM   #14945
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Always good to show how much of the bill is paid by who in any negotiation.

This is a brand new Alberta like it or not. No more lap dog.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2023, 07:58 PM   #14946
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:

Have we been a lap dog under previous conservative governments?
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 08:15 PM   #14947
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Wow you went from let’s see how potentially very poor decisions turn out to declaring us a brand new province based on them accomplishing nothing of substance to date.

Who’s being played worse, Yoho or the people who disagree with him but for some reason still support the same politicians he does?
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2023, 08:39 PM   #14948
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Saying you are an Albertan over a Canadian feels so small minded to me. Baby brained patriotism.
I am Calgarian way ahead of being Albertan…

But yes, a Canadian before Albertan, of course.
Old 09-21-2023, 09:20 PM   #14949
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

You're all wrong.

We're all O&G Riggers first and foremost.

And then 'Bertan. And then Western. And then and only then...'MURICAN.
Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2023, 06:29 AM   #14950
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This government is going to kick off a divisive campaign on a made up issue that nobody voted for. Even if it goes to a referendum it is going to distract the government from doing the work people actually care about. My brief read of the report is that it is written as a position paper to justify setting a separate pension plan up, and it will be widely misused by the UCP in a disinformation campaign to whip up pro Alberta anti Canadian sentiment.

She could only wait about 6 months before pulling this stunt. 4 plus more years of this.
Whynotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Whynotnow For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2023, 07:56 AM   #14951
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
“Working on Alberta Separating for 30 years “

I must have missed when Alberta was ever close to separating in the last 30 years

I’m not sure you know what leverage means . If the other side believes you aren’t serious you don’t have it ….
LOL...
do you know the definition of "working on"? That doesn't mean they have been successful. Smith has been bleating on about the APP since, oh, at least 20 years herself.

https://daveberta.substack.com/p/alb...an-games-begin

Do you think she is going to approach this conversation honestly and put it straight to Albertans, or do you think she is going to pick and choose what she likes to get what she has wanted for 20 years? I'm not really sure the level of dumb you would have to be to get your facts on this issue from Smith, but I can guarantee it's an amazingly high level of dumb.

And now you are getting it. That's exactly the issue, there is no leverage.

Side note, the last paragraph in that opinion piece us ####ing hilarious given how reality has played out. 20 years of Albertans being fooled, and some how they keep lining up for it.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2023, 07:58 AM   #14952
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

These sovereignty proposals are stupid and embarrassing. But frankly, the stupidest people in all this are the yokels in the UCP base who think there’s any chance of Alberta separating. If multiple Quebec sovereignty referendums have failed, there’s zero chance it would succeed here. The UCP leadership are tossing them red meat to keep them compliant and not go off in a huff and form their own party, yet again.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2023, 08:02 AM   #14953
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
These sovereignty proposals are stupid and embarrassing. But frankly, the stupidest people in all this are the yokels in the UCP base who think there’s any chance of Alberta separating. If multiple Quebec sovereignty referendums have failed, there’s zero chance it would succeed here. The UCP leadership are tossing them red meat to keep them compliant and not go off in a huff and form their own party, yet again.
I don't think they need to go and form their own party anymore, they already have one. The governing party. Smith isn't worried about them leaving, she's worried about them throwing her out. The nuts have already taken over the nuthouse.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2023, 08:04 AM   #14954
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think they need to go and form their own party anymore, they already have one. The governing party. Smith isn't worried about them leaving, she's worried about them throwing her out. The nuts have already taken over the nuthouse.
Yes, those nuts dominate the UCP at the nomination level. But they don’t make up anywhere close to half the population of the province. Any of these measures that go to a referendum will fail.
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2023, 08:09 AM   #14955
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Any of these measures that go to a referendum will fail.
I hope you are correct, but the last election told me that a lot of people will believe the "truth" they need/want to believe.

It's a stressor I don't need.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2023, 08:16 AM   #14956
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no confidence the Alberta rubes that voted in the UCP can't also be convinced of many other equally dumb ideas.

As a reminder, the popular vote
UCP:928,896
NDP:777,397

Still not worried?
Old 09-22-2023, 08:17 AM   #14957
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
This is right out of Quebecs playbook . Threaten and try to hold the country hostage with no real intention to leave .

And it has continually worked for Quebec to get some of the most politically favourable policy in the country

Trying to work at all with the East has never worked . So holding them hostage is the next step in the playbook

I can’t image any of these ideas ever reach execution , but the risk of a crazy tearing apart Canada and removing the economic powerhouse of the country may be enough to actually get some favourable policies for once
The threat of separation isn't Quebec's playbook, but too many Albertan's are too ****ing stupid to see that.
They think "Quebec gets what they want because the fight back and threaten to separate"

Quebec gets what they want because they change who they vote for, and have a huge say in what the governing party is going to be.

Meanwhile, we sit here in Alberta doing the same stupid thing over and over again and wonder why we don't get what we want despite "Fighting Ottawa"

"Fighting Ottawa" (which is basically Danielle Smiths, and the UCP's entire platform), is so short sighted and childish it's embarrassing.

Look at the $10 daycare issue. We dug in our heels like a child who didn't want to eat their dinner. The UCP complained that Quebec is having pizza for dinner so we should too (ignoring the fact, that no, they were not in fact having pizza for dinner) the and when mom and dad said, "Fine, don't eat, but I'm not making anything else" we knuckled under and took the deal.

We didn't even offer "how about I eat 5 bites, then I get dessert".

Yoho says all the time that the UCP are "The Adults in the room". Jesus, if he thinks this is how adults act, I feel sorry for him.
They are literally acting like children.

Last edited by Bring_Back_Shantz; 09-22-2023 at 08:23 AM.
Bring_Back_Shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 08:28 AM   #14958
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have no confidence the Alberta rubes that voted in the UCP can't also be convinced of many other equally dumb ideas.

As a reminder, the popular vote
UCP:928,896
NDP:777,397

Still not worried?
A great many people vote for UCP on the sole basis of paying lower taxes. They don’t follow politics closely and don’t know or care about the stuff that fills twitter and forums like this.

But sovereignty and separation are a whole other matter. Not just with average Albertans (half of whom weren’t even born here), but business leaders, banks, etc know what kind of an absolute ####-show it would be for the province’s economy if it even got to a referendum.
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2023, 08:30 AM   #14959
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Yeah, it’s be easier to buy the “stand up to Ottawa” “adults in the room” stuff if the UCP didn’t take so many more Ls than any government in history. Every time they try to “fight” Ottawa they end up taking a worse deal than they would’ve have gotten by just taking the deal offered from Ottawa, and a significantly worse deal than they would’ve gotten by actually negotiating a better one.

If for no other reason, that’s why I’m again an APP. UCP has shown zero ability to go to Ottawa and come out with an even half decent deal for Albertans. This is somehow going to cost us more money and reduce the benefits we get from it. That’s the UCP way.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 08:36 AM   #14960
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A great many people vote for UCP on the sole basis of paying lower taxes. They don’t follow politics closely and don’t know or care about the stuff that fills twitter and forums like this.

But sovereignty and separation are a whole other matter. Not just with average Albertans (half of whom weren’t even born here), but business leaders, banks, etc know what kind of an absolute ####-show it would be for the province’s economy if it even got to a referendum.
Well that's the concern, isn't it? Smith promises a bigger pension, less money to Ottawa for policing, taxes, etc. Doesn't matter if it is true or not, all she has to do is fool people into thinking they'll be better off financially. That's a pretty easy card to play.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: