Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2024, 07:10 PM   #1461
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
…and then when you have the star players, you don't have the support players, and you wind up being Edmonton.

You can draft skill. You can't draft experience.
You can easily acquire experience. I think the Flames would much rather have a young superstar because it wasn't too difficult for them to convince 2-time Stanley Cup champion, Blake Coleman, to sign.
keenan87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 08:11 PM   #1462
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
You can easily acquire experience. I think the Flames would much rather have a young superstar
It isn't an either-or proposition.

Quote:
because it wasn't too difficult for them to convince 2-time Stanley Cup champion, Blake Coleman, to sign.
Sure. All they had to do was give him more money than any other team would, and persuade him that they meant to compete. And they only got that chance because he wasn't picky about where he wanted to play.

But sure, let's get rid of him now because he's going to be so easy to replace after the young superstars we haven't got have learnt all the bad habits they'll get from not having decent role models.
Old 04-07-2024, 08:25 PM   #1463
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I actually like the Tampa strategy for support players, even if they whiff sometimes - Once you're in contention pay a draft pick price to acquire excellent support players on great contracts to support your elite core.

Don't be the next team that pays the UFA peremium for the same player after they help Tampa. I mean it wasn't horrible in the case of Coleman, but in general you want to pay for 3-5 elite players/stars and "make things work" in terms of supporting cast.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2024, 08:33 PM   #1464
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
You can easily acquire experience. I think the Flames would much rather have a young superstar because it wasn't too difficult for them to convince 2-time Stanley Cup champion, Blake Coleman, to sign.
You can convince a Coleman to sign when you are the highest bidder.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 08:36 PM   #1465
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
You can convince a Coleman to sign when you are the highest bidder.
He apparently had similar offers...liked the city and the style of team. He is the outdoorsy type
Old 04-07-2024, 09:19 PM   #1466
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I actually like the Tampa strategy for support players, even if they whiff sometimes - Once you're in contention pay a draft pick price to acquire excellent support players on great contracts to support your elite core.

Don't be the next team that pays the UFA peremium for the same player after they help Tampa. I mean it wasn't horrible in the case of Coleman, but in general you want to pay for 3-5 elite players/stars and "make things work" in terms of supporting cast.
If you look at teams like Tampa and Colorado it's still a rocky ride to finally get to the summit. So the first group of young star players may not work out and need to be replaced with a next wave. Colorado isn't the same without Makar and Rantanen being added and Duchene gone. Tampa isnt the same if they dont add Vasilevsky and Point go an emerging group.

Chances are early on they'll look to add vets to help younger guys and it might have mixed results at the first iteration. But that doesn't mean it was pointless. You can get back to the playoffs and even have a competitive team 2 to 4 years after a bit of a teardown. But it's tough to become that annual elite team without 8 years or so passing by and a few ups and downs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2024, 10:55 PM   #1467
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Leadership, work ethic, PK the list goes on with this guy, even at 15 goals Coleman is a very important player for this team.
Coleman is awesome, but what makes him "very important" on a team that's about to tank for a couple of years? Is it just so his compete can rub off on young guys? Because we have enough decent vets for that.

Coleman has earned the right to decide if he wants to stay or go. He's a competitor, and winning Stanley cups is what drives him. If he'd be happier doing that than staying in CGY, then moving him is going to be a win-win, both for the player and the team. Otherwise, I'd be happy having him around for the duration of his contract.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 11:06 PM   #1468
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
He apparently had similar offers...liked the city and the style of team. He is the outdoorsy type
Might be a problem go forward if we are fielding this roster next season.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 02:56 AM   #1469
TaranakiFlame
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Coleman seems like a real family man, so it would be no surprise to me if his wife had a say on where they should move to, probably a lot more than we all think. Afterall, wasn't Jonny Gaudreaus wife a factor in them moving to Columbus?
TaranakiFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 08:13 AM   #1470
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaranakiFlame View Post
Coleman seems like a real family man, so it would be no surprise to me if his wife had a say on where they should move to, probably a lot more than we all think. Afterall, wasn't Jonny Gaudreaus wife a factor in them moving to Columbus?
When you have done everything, I am pretty sure the family has a lot of say in where they want to be.
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 12:59 PM   #1471
CFO
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If Carolina are tight to extend certain players. Flames should push to take Jesperi Kotkaniemi off their hands. Potential Bennett style deal.
CFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 01:06 PM   #1472
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFO View Post
If Carolina are tight to extend certain players. Flames should push to take Jesperi Kotkaniemi off their hands. Potential Bennett style deal.
No thanks. Let them keep their one bad contract.
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Funkhouser For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 10:24 PM   #1473
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if you could get Kuzmenko to sign for the same salary on like a 5 year deal. I know people think we should flip him but man, the guy has the skills to be an absolute star offensively. That could be a hell of a steal for that money. Of course his agent should tell him to hold off until he gets a chance to inflate his numbers next year but even if you could get him to sign for 5 years at 6M AAV that would be a steal imo.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 10:26 PM   #1474
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I wonder if you could get Kuzmenko to sign for the same salary on like a 5 year deal. I know people think we should flip him but man, the guy has the skills to be an absolute star offensively.
If he were even a year or two younger, I would seriously favour that idea.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:28 PM   #1475
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFO View Post
Yep. Take that chance. Kotkaniemi and a 2nd to Calgary for Mangiapane.
Old 04-10-2024, 09:10 AM   #1476
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Surely we could find a 3rd line 10-15 goal scorer that is big, mean and angry on the free agent market for $5.5M per year.
Old 04-10-2024, 10:33 AM   #1477
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I wonder if you could get Kuzmenko to sign for the same salary on like a 5 year deal. I know people think we should flip him but man, the guy has the skills to be an absolute star offensively. That could be a hell of a steal for that money. Of course his agent should tell him to hold off until he gets a chance to inflate his numbers next year but even if you could get him to sign for 5 years at 6M AAV that would be a steal imo.
You might be right, he has looked very good lately.

But I'm betting that would be an exceptionally bad contract.

And I think he would jump at that contract.

But he's a very hard player to judge. He can look very good and very bad.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 10:08 AM   #1478
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Jakob Silfverberg to retire at the end of the season at 33 years old
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 01:29 PM   #1479
konradical
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I wonder if the Devls would give us their 2024 1st pick (unless they in the lottery) for Markstrom if we take a bad contract back like Haula back
konradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 01:56 PM   #1480
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

No way am I giving Kuzmenko 5.5x5 after next year.

that screams future buyout as we're trying to be competitive again
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good