Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2021, 01:27 PM   #14721
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
There are actually plenty of reasons. Nine million of them jump out right off the bat. Tkachuk's ego writing checks his talent doesn't seem able to cash is another. Let's not think for a second that Tkachuk is not a player the Flames could easily move to improve the team, and allow someone else to assume the risk. Frankly, if you can get a signed Forsberg at a reasonable price, and another player along with a pick or prospect, for Tkachuk and another asset, you jump all over it. Way too much risk with a player who essentially quit on his team this past season.

Not going to happen. Not after just hiring Sutter to a three year deal and there being another two years on that contract. If there is movement related to this contract, it will be Treliving sucking on the tailpipe, not Sutter. We're stuck in try and be competitive mode because of this signing. A rebuild is not a remote possibility for another two years.
Just enough time to ensure that we are out of the running for Wright, Bedard, Michkov, Lambert and Savoie. The largest phenom talent pool in a generation is coming up in the next 2 years and the much needed rebuild would have coincided with that perfectly, but the Flames are doing everything they can to take themselves out of it.
Old 07-03-2021, 01:37 PM   #14722
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Totally, but this is the Flames. Just not their style. I don't think this franchise has ever gone full rebuild. There is a reason why we've only ever had one top 5 pick and no picks in the top 3. I am not sure how many other clubs can say that, if any.

They went all in with Sutter and Treliving is fighting for his job now. We can look forward to some ridiculous future mortgages I think.
How's that been working out for them?

This team isn't close to a roster that would make past the first round, much less win the Stanley Cup.

Signing overpriced UFA and trading draft picks or what little prospects we have has gotten them no where but for the one year of Peters, but clearly that was an aberration.

I agree that the Flames won't do what is necessary, which means, what, another 15 years of mediocrity?
Old 07-03-2021, 01:51 PM   #14723
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Flames should sign Laurent Broissoit as the backup goalie.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2021, 02:04 PM   #14724
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkknight View Post
PNot sure if the Predators would have any interest in this, but with Forsberg clearly being dissatisfied with the recent moves I would consider him likely available.

Calgary receives
Forsberg
18 oa 2021

Nashville receives
Tkachuk
77 oa 2021

Flames may need to add something else minor but I think the value is there for both teams.
I like your line of thinking, but I think it gets us the lesser player, but the higher draft pick. IMHO the Flames need to set the bar much higher if they are going to trade Tkachuk. This is our asking price...and force teams to meet that requirement. There are teams out there willing to offer a lot more for Tkachuk if we are patient and create the market. Buffalo put Eichel out there awhile ago and sat back so that they can gauge the best offers and drive up the price. Calgary acts a bit like the small market team taking what they can get. That needs to change if we are going to be play in the big leagues one day.

Does Forsberg move that needle, or is he another just complementary piece? What happens if we acquire him but still need a stronger center down the middle? What do the Flames really need?

Maybe packaging Monahan for Forsberg and then trading Tkachuk for a decent center and draft pick would be a better way to go? I am tired of watching this team pick up players that don't fit, letting them go while still spinning it's wheels.

Brad was willing to admit he needed an experienced coach after watching this team keep underachieving. The Flames have to do better and pay attention to to the details and stop relying on fillers. Tampa obviously sets the bar much higher, they do whatever it takes to win; It is one valid way you can compete in this league. The idea anything can happen if you get in is setting the bar too low. Trade Monahan and Tkachuk for some quality pieces we we need and do some damage with any extra cap space. The players we bring in have to be good players not reclamation projects or poor quality fillers.

Flames need to get out of small minded thinking, and reach a lot higher. Experience and quality counts, we need these in spades.
Old 07-03-2021, 02:14 PM   #14725
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I think the Flames should sign Laurent Broissoit as the backup goalie.
James Riemer
Old 07-03-2021, 03:45 PM   #14726
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
James Riemer
Maybe. When it comes to backups, I don't care about age (unless the position is being used for development purposes).

Reimer: 33 years old, 384 games, career 91.3%
Markstrom: 31 years old, 313 games, career 91.0%

He's basically just two years ahead of Markstrom. Both of them are good at have decent season at-minimum.

It's actually a fine UFA market for free agent backup goalies. It'll be interesting to see what the Flames do.
Of course maybe bringing Rittich back is an option as well.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2021, 04:53 PM   #14727
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Just enough time to ensure that we are out of the running for Wright, Bedard, Michkov, Lambert and Savoie. The largest phenom talent pool in a generation is coming up in the next 2 years and the much needed rebuild would have coincided with that perfectly, but the Flames are doing everything they can to take themselves out of it.
Even if we finish 32nd next year we have a 25% chance at 1st overall.

Sucking does not equate to winning. If it was the Oilers would be celebrating their 4th straight cup.

While I will concede that sucking increases your chances of getting Shane Wright or Connor Bedard, it is not guaranteed.
The Following User Says Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2021, 04:56 PM   #14728
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1411364593771986944

https://twitter.com/user/status/1411365321714323459
Old 07-03-2021, 05:42 PM   #14729
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post

Sucking does not equate to winning. If it was the Oilers would be celebrating their 4th straight cup.

While I will concede that sucking increases your chances of getting Shane Wright or Connor Bedard, it is not guaranteed.
We already suck. Might as well increase your odds.
Old 07-03-2021, 05:44 PM   #14730
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the rumours are true of what Buffalo is asking for Eichel , I don’t think there is a team in the nhl willing to give them what they want right now . Buffalo will be decreasing that price in the next couple of weeks.
Old 07-03-2021, 05:52 PM   #14731
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
If the rumours are true of what Buffalo is asking for Eichel , I don’t think there is a team in the nhl willing to give them what they want right now . Buffalo will be decreasing that price in the next couple of weeks.

Agreed. If there was, the deal would have been done already.

Will one of those teams bite the bullet and give the Sabres what they want?

I doubt it. The offer many are prepared to make here of Tkachuk, Zary and our 1st is perhaps even more than I would give. And I expect a better offer value wise than the Sabres have received so far. I just don’t think Tkachuk is a great match for Buffalo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2021, 05:57 PM   #14732
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post

It’s still a better chance than being a bubble team that misses the playoffs or gets ousted in the first round. It also helps the odds if you acquire more 1st rounders.

The good thing is that you don’t need the 1st OA in either draft to pretty much be guaranteed a franchise defining player. Top 3 in 2022 or top 2 in 2023 ought to do it.

If the Flames were trending toward being a contender, then that would be different, but right now there is nothing to lose. If I was down to my last dollar, I wouldn’t have any issue spending it on a lotto ticket if I had a 25-50% of winning. The worst case scenario is that you lose a dollar, but the possible positives outweigh that. When I look at the Flames right now, I see a team that bottoms out anyway in the next few years, so it might as well happen in 2022 and 2023.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 07-04-2021 at 02:03 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2021, 06:36 PM   #14733
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

You all seem to blithely assume that a team can just decide to finish dead last. There is always more than one club doing a tear-down and rebuild. The bottom of the standings is just as crowded as the top.
Old 07-03-2021, 06:55 PM   #14734
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sure the bottom is just as crowded but you have a better chance at falling down than falling up. The Flames have a better chance at finishing dead last than making the playoffs let alone become contenders.
Old 07-03-2021, 07:17 PM   #14735
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Sure the bottom is just as crowded but you have a better chance at falling down than falling up. The Flames have a better chance at finishing dead last than making the playoffs let alone become contenders.
This is just not true. From a basic logic standpoint (16 teams make the playoffs, one team is dead last), but also from the perspective that if you trade away your big guns and go for the rebuild you inevitably give younger guys and guys who haven’t had great opportunities bigger roles and opportunities. At that point, you really have no idea how it’s going to go. A backup goalie could breakout, your young 3rd line RW could find himself top 10 in scoring. This stuff happens all the time. Look at a team like Ottawa this year which everyone pegged as an easy opponent. Look at Vegas in their first year.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2021, 07:30 PM   #14736
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

The flames should have made the playoffs over the habs.

The habs are in the final.

It’s not that bad.

You are NOT getting Eichel
Old 07-03-2021, 07:33 PM   #14737
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am looking forward to the playoffs being over soon so we can start seeing some player movement and more rumours.

That being said, I look forward to being disappointed when the hardest working GM in the league plays bridesmaid again.
Old 07-03-2021, 07:35 PM   #14738
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
I am looking forward to the playoffs being over soon so we can start seeing some player movement and more rumours.

That being said, I look forward to being disappointed when the hardest working GM in the league plays bridesmaid again.
Oh he will make a trade for sure. I just dread the results
Old 07-03-2021, 08:20 PM   #14739
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Jesus, your outlook is bleak. You think we have a better chance at finishing dead last in the NHL than making the playoffs? Really? The team massively underachieved last year.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2021, 08:30 PM   #14740
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

no idea who this is but it showed up on my feed....as accurate as anything Eklund has ever thrown against the wall at least.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1411467049394606080