Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2024, 04:09 PM   #14701
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Bottle drives don’t bother me

I take the time to chat with the young athletes about their sport before giving them bottles if we have some.

In fact if the athlete is really engaging and I don’t have bottles I’ve actually given them cash before.

Expect soccer, #### that #### sport and those that play it
Coaches too. You forgot to say #### coaches and their helicopters.
Old 04-21-2024, 05:08 PM   #14702
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

People that pull up to a house/apartment and honk their horns several times. Shut up. Text them or go knock on the door. Don't annoy the whole neighborhood because your fat ass doesn't want to get out of the vehicle. People who do this, especially for a period of a few minutes, are pieces of ####.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2024, 09:56 PM   #14703
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Today I'm changing the oil in our car. I have a history of making a mess with the used oil. Today I think I take all the precautions when draining the pan to make sure the catch is in the right spot, newspaper around it in case of overflow. Everything goes well for once. Slide the catch pan out without spilling. Get in the car to back it off the ramps, and the ramp slides forward and hits the catch pan and splatters oil everywhere. Dummy didn't brace the ramp. Maybe next time.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2024, 11:25 PM   #14704
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Today I'm changing the oil in our car. I have a history of making a mess with the used oil. Today I think I take all the precautions when draining the pan to make sure the catch is in the right spot, newspaper around it in case of overflow. Everything goes well for once. Slide the catch pan out without spilling. Get in the car to back it off the ramps, and the ramp slides forward and hits the catch pan and splatters oil everywhere. Dummy didn't brace the ramp. Maybe next time.
My history of changing my own oil is littered with "if only" and "maybe next time."

Each time I learn a new and calamitous lesson.

I imagine that if I worked at a Mr. Lube or whatever the conversation would go something like:

"Locke. We have to let you go. You have screwed up, in what could only be considered wonderous and unfathomable ways, in its own way its actually rather impressive. And yet here we are."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 08:13 AM   #14705
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

What is the cost savings these days to changing your own oil? The convenience and extra effort they put into the oil change makes me not even think twice about hitting the local change shop over trying to DIY.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 08:15 AM   #14706
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Yea I swap my own tires because it's easy and quick, but changing oil is neither, unless you go to a dedicated shop. I have no issues spending a few extra dollars for that
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 08:21 AM   #14707
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I had a coupon once for an oil change so decided to use it, they took so damn long that I was going crazy sitting there waiting. I would have been done at home just in the time it took to drive there and back. Plus there was some charge that wasn't covered by the coupon, complete waste of time.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 08:23 AM   #14708
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Yea I swap my own tires because it's easy and quick, but changing oil is neither, unless you go to a dedicated shop. I have no issues spending a few extra dollars for that
It does depend on the vehicle. My truck is super easy so I do it, but I'd need ramps for my wife's car, so it goes in.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 08:28 AM   #14709
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Showing my ignorance here - all I know about cars is one pedal means go, one means stop - but are oil changes not part of regular servicing?
Old 04-22-2024, 08:33 AM   #14710
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do my own oil changes.

Oil is like $35-40 for full synthetic so around $50 all in compared to a hundred at an oil change place.

And it’s faster just doing it yourself
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 08:35 AM   #14711
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It does depend on the vehicle. My truck is super easy so I do it, but I'd need ramps for my wife's car, so it goes in.
Curious, why does it need ramps? I have considered one of those in garage ramps but no way to justify the cost/space. I need to buy a new jack because the one I have doesn't go high enough for my SUV but works fine for my wifes car, I still do my SUV with some sketchy wood hackery but I just need to stop being so lazy and get a proper jack.
Old 04-22-2024, 08:37 AM   #14712
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I do my own oil changes.

Oil is like $35-40 for full synthetic so around $50 all in compared to a hundred at an oil change place.

And it’s faster just doing it yourself
I would argue its not faster when you factor in everything but I think its more towards $130 for full synthetic so its definitely a nice cost savings. What do you do with your oil?
Old 04-22-2024, 08:41 AM   #14713
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Curious, why does it need ramps? I have considered one of those in garage ramps but no way to justify the cost/space. I need to buy a new jack because the one I have doesn't go high enough for my SUV but works fine for my wifes car, I still do my SUV with some sketchy wood hackery but I just need to stop being so lazy and get a proper jack.
It's too low to the ground to get under it, and I could jack it I guess. I could also get an oil extractor kit, just haven't bothered yet.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 08:43 AM   #14714
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah its about half the price when I do my own oil changes. But I kinda like doing stuff like that anyways.

Usually I pay about $120-130 at the local oil change shop, for full synthetic. Oil and a filter runs me around $60 at Canadian Tire. And thats full synthetic too, they always have it on sale it seems.

Though I generally only do it in the summer, if I'm due for a change in the winter I just take it in. My garage isn't heated and I just cant be bothered to do it in the cold.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 08:49 AM   #14715
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's too low to the ground to get under it, and I could jack it I guess. I could also get an oil extractor kit, just haven't bothered yet.
I never realized you could get something like this for a decent price, https://www.babco.ca/Peak-MRL-4000
Old 04-22-2024, 08:53 AM   #14716
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just always hated the prospect of having to dispose of the old oil.

Although, a customer I once had at Canadian Tire came up with a pretty ingenious solution.

He just poured the used oil into the now empty bottles of new oil and then tried to return them and get his money back.

So he'd have gotten some real cost savings there.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 08:55 AM   #14717
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
I would argue its not faster when you factor in everything but I think its more towards $130 for full synthetic so its definitely a nice cost savings. What do you do with your oil?
It's faster, much faster to do it yourself. So much faster.

Used oil sits in the corner of the garage until I have a few, put in a cardboard box to not get the truck dirty and drop off at the fire station.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 09:00 AM   #14718
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

On Saturday morning the city had the traffic lights off at Shaganappi Trial and 32 Ave and a bunch of guys were working in the control box. They must have screwed with the light timing because traffic at the intersection was insane today and the light going north/south was extremely short. On a normal day I can get through the light at 32 Ave from 40 Ave if I hammer the gas or it becomes a one light wait to get through that intersection. This morning it was a 5 light wait and traffic was backed up well north of 40th. Hopefully someone fixes this ASAP because it is not cool. I might have to start cutting through the Market Mall parking lot or going around the mall.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 09:02 AM   #14719
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I just always hated the prospect of having to dispose of the old oil.

Although, a customer I once had at Canadian Tire came up with a pretty ingenious solution.

He just poured the used oil into the now empty bottles of new oil and then tried to return them and get his money back.

So he'd have gotten some real cost savings there.
You've been doing it wrong.

I can't be bothered to change my own oil these days, It is a messy job and my time is more valuable.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 09:13 AM   #14720
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
You've been doing it wrong.

I can't be bothered to change my own oil these days, It is a messy job and my time is more valuable.
And we wonder why the earth is dying?