Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #1441
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Once Airdrie's 100,000 strong... it'll be nice to have that go up and meet up with QE2 near Crossfield.
That was my thought as well, and the only reason you would need a new freeway. But given Airdrie is primarily growing west, your better option there is to convert Centre Street N/Range Road 13 into a highway. But even to the east, a simple bridge overpass with lights would be sufficient. No harm in planning for a full-speed interchange though.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #1442
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
That was my thought as well, and the only reason you would need a new freeway. But given Airdrie is primarily growing west, your better option there is to convert Centre Street N/Range Road 13 into a highway. But even to the east, a simple bridge overpass with lights would be sufficient. No harm in planning for a full-speed interchange though.
I'm going to disagree on the westward trend observation. The bulk of Airdrie's most recent annexation was on their east side. The Airdrie Airport is now within Airdrie City limits.

The Balzac road (HWY 566) is to be twinned from QEII to the Conrich road. the Balzac over pass is to be twinned by Alberta transportation with in the next 10 years.
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to para transit fellow For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #1443
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Deerfoot/22X interchange is getting very close... here's an update on it (and the widening project in the NW) I just posted on SSP.

Spoiler!
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #1444
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coming from Saskatoon on thursday, will I be able to take the Ring road down to Cranston? I know it's not open yet today, but with Acey saying imminent, does that mean by Thursday night I should be able to at least make it to the Stoney Trail/22x intersection before getting into construction?
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #1445
TheGrimm
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J epworth kendal View Post
Coming from Saskatoon on thursday, will I be able to take the Ring road down to Cranston? I know it's not open yet today, but with Acey saying imminent, does that mean by Thursday night I should be able to at least make it to the Stoney Trail/22x intersection before getting into construction?
If it were me I'd take the 901 from just before Gleichen as it turns into 22x and would be the most direct route to south Calgary.
TheGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #1446
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrimm View Post
If it were me I'd take the 901 from just before Gleichen as it turns into 22x and would be the most direct route to south Calgary.
Ya I usually take that route, come South on the 36 to the Trans Canada, just wanted to use the ring road if I could just to try it out.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #1447
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Is there an update anywhere on when Stoney will open from Peigan to 22x?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #1448
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Is there an update anywhere on when Stoney will open from Peigan to 22x?
CP and SSP seem to be the place thanks to Acey.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #1449
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should be any day now. A bunch of bureaucratic stuff getting in the way it seems; the audit, and whatever other safety checks they're doing. The contractor has paid $420,000 for being late so far, so I'd think they're doing everything in their power to get it open. They're tearing up old detours at Deerfoot/22X and around McKenzie/Cranston at the moment. 26 of the 27 bridges are done, and the last one isn't critical to opening. Best case scenario - it opens at the end of this week cause then you've got a long weekend... fingers crossed.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:41 PM   #1450
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

So, am I reading the maps wrong, or is there absolutely no way to get from Stoney heading WB into Cranston? I assumed you could take the fly-over to SB Deerfoot and just exit, but it appears that the fly-over doesn't join up to Derfoot until after the Cranston exit.

Am I missing something?
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:57 PM   #1451
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
So, am I reading the maps wrong, or is there absolutely no way to get from Stoney heading WB into Cranston? I assumed you could take the fly-over to SB Deerfoot and just exit, but it appears that the fly-over doesn't join up to Derfoot until after the Cranston exit.

Am I missing something?
Nope, you are reading correctly.

You would have to exit on 52nd street, head south to Setin Blvd, then across DF,

Or

NB on DF, u turn at Mckenzie Towne blvd, and head south on DF, or wind through McKenzie Lake.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to You Need a Thneed For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2013, 06:47 AM   #1452
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
NB on DF, u turn at Mckenzie Towne blvd, and head south on DF, or wind through McKenzie Lake.
Yeah this way is going to end up being faster for a lot of people, based on what I'm seeing. The WB-SB loop at McKenzie Towne is fairly underutilized. Seton Blvd is quickly going to become the McKnight Blvd of the SE.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:23 AM   #1453
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by para transit fellow View Post
I'm going to disagree on the westward trend observation. The bulk of Airdrie's most recent annexation was on their east side. The Airdrie Airport is now within Airdrie City limits.

The Balzac road (HWY 566) is to be twinned from QEII to the Conrich road. the Balzac over pass is to be twinned by Alberta transportation with in the next 10 years.
Granted, my 'westward trend' observation is based on past history... Airdrie has grown rapidly from a western outskirt at 8th Street W to 24th Street while the eastern edge has remained fairly static. Eastern development seems focused on growing north of 567 and south of Yankee Valley, but there has not yet been any noticeable push east.

That said, the existence of CrossIron Mills and the plans to twin 566 (which I did not know about, thank you) would add pressure to build that way. In either direction, I think a second solid access between the two cities would be desirable.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #1454
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last week I drove south on 52nd, and couldn't figure out how to get westbound on 22x as the old temporary 'exit' was closed, so ended up cutting through Auburn Bay back to Deerfoot. At the time, I assumed I missed an exit before the bridge, but when I was dirving on 22x later on I realized there is no exit at that point either.

Is there a way to do this now, or is it impossible?
Old 10-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #1455
Pontine
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

It's a left turn if you're going south on 52nd. Most people seem to miss it because they assume that the exit would be on the right. Have to really pay attention to the signs, but I missed it too the first time I drove that way.
Pontine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pontine For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #1456
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is it open at Glenmore yet? Access to and from Stoney?
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #1457
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontine View Post
It's a left turn if you're going south on 52nd. Most people seem to miss it because they assume that the exit would be on the right. Have to really pay attention to the signs, but I missed it too the first time I drove that way.

Just posting to confirm this. If you're going SB it's a left turn before you get to the top of the bridge. You're taking the same exit on to WB Stoney as the NB traffic.

It's also a left hand turn to go EB if you're southbund on 52nd. The NB rraffic gets right hand exits for both directions at Stoney.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #1458
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post
Is it open at Glenmore yet? Access to and from Stoney?
not yet.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #1459
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Any idea why? Is it to prevent excess traffic on the 22X portions that are still under construction?

That had been my speculation; that the portion from 88 street to 17 ave would be open even if the 22X/ Deerfoot portion was not 100% complete.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #1460
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

How many more days till it ends up being free?
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote