Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the trade after a week of getting your head around it?
Love it, think Lucic is an upgrade 109 16.80%
Like it, clears some cap space even if Lucic is no better 197 30.35%
Indifferent, both teams getting a failed project 187 28.81%
Dislike it, Neal needed another year to bounce back 107 16.49%
Hate it, Neal will be better in Edmonton 49 7.55%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2019, 09:37 AM   #1441
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
What are you talking about? We added a NMC to our roster that requires protection which is something we didn't have before. Pretty simple. It is one extra player to protect that we didn't have to. Ya....no #### we have two years to maneuver around. You want to hide your head in the sand for two years.....have at it.
There's a pretty good chance Lucic wants to go the west coast. But that aside, two years is a long time to see how the two Feds you mentioned pan out. I'd be more concerned about losing a D frankly, given Francis' preferences and their current play. Namely Kylington.

And even if you get to expose Lucic, one of those forwards is still at risk.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:39 AM   #1442
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Why does Lucic have "less chance of bouncing back" than Neal? He is younger than Neal and going to a better team.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:39 AM   #1443
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Why does Lucic have "less chance of bouncing back" than Neal? He is younger than Neal and going to a better team.
Because it’s been certain people’s narrative all season
CanadaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:41 AM   #1444
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Two bad seasons in a row, the second one worse than the first. Neal's just had one so if you'd put money on who bounces back I'd bet Neal.

Though if the bet was "will Neal bounce back" by itself, I'd bet against him. He looked so bloody terrible last year. His show went from absolute cannon to lower end super soaker.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:42 AM   #1445
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
After sleeping on it, I see this as a loss from both teams.

Why would Edmonton do this? They are essentially paying 6.5 million for the next 4 seasons for James Neal.....

Why would Calgary do this? They get a guy making 500k less that has a less chance of bouncing back, but I guess he brings a physical presence if he's not contributing on the scoresheet? With a NMC..... I guess if they trade him again and retain salary, it's cheaper than a buyout with less of a cap hit.

I don't know who lost more. Weird trade.
Flames lost biggest hitter in Hathaway (200 hits last year) and we’re already soft.

Lucic had 275 hits last year. He may also be useful in playoffs where speed becomes less important.

Neal was useless and seemed ok that he was useless.

Look at it if we had traded James Neal for Ryan reeves and retained $2.5mm of NealI think we’d all be happy at getting out from under Neal’s anchor contract. That’s kind of what we did. Lucic has similar offence and physicality.

Neal may work out in Edmonton, but I don’t think we had a need for a slow, non-physical, perimeter winger.

Flames may be only team where lucic can be an improvement.
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marsplasticeraser For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 09:46 AM   #1446
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Condescension noted, and you are always screaming at others for proper discourse. Hilarious. Of course when you do it...no problem. Hypocrisy is fun.

You are right, I did not calculate that correctly, I should be made fun of and admonished for it. Saturday morning fuzzies for sure, but an unacceptable mistake.

However, either way...thats a WHOLE lot of cap space that could be used to get and or help keep really good players. Better?

This is all minutiae to distract from the actual results from this deal however...and the reality is that this looks like it will be the single most monumental mistake of the Treliving legacy with the Flames.

Realllly hope i am wrong on that as well, but unfortunately using recent data sets and even the eye test, this is very unlikely.
Yeah it’s a lot of cap space.

Not enough to sign star players like 19-point 5.75M James Neal, but we’ll have to manage.

The “reality” is only a reality in your head, which seems like it’s full of that aforementioned fuzziness. Even if everything goes south (and hell, it might) it’s pretty hard to believe this is any way monumental or franchise crippling. Unless you believe Neal was suddenly going to rebound playing on Calgary’s third line again, where he was oh so happy and full of effort all season. And if you believe that, more power to you, but the “reality” is, that it was a long shot.

The only mistake made was signing Neal in the first place, and that’s on Neal. If you can’t come to the rink prepared and can’t bother to show up for your team and put effort in, that’s on you. I’d rather have an overpaid player who cares while putting up 20 than one who doesn’t while putting up 20.

Neal wanted out. Peters didn’t trust Neal. He wasn’t turning back into the “real deal” any time soon.

As far as me being “condescending” or “screaming at others” relax man. You made a silly mistake and I told you to use your brain. It’s Saturday morning and the rain has stopped. Hockey forums ain’t serious business

You’re running around calling everything “spin” and saying nobody should think this is anything less than horrible. Time to breathe..
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:47 AM   #1447
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

It's raining again

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:48 AM   #1448
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Two bad seasons in a row, the second one worse than the first. Neal's just had one so if you'd put money on who bounces back I'd bet Neal.

Though if the bet was "will Neal bounce back" by itself, I'd bet against him. He looked so bloody terrible last year. His show went from absolute cannon to lower end super soaker.
Yeah but youre not considering the Edmonton is no good factor.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:50 AM   #1449
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even after sleeping on it I'm really not too upset. We traded a crappy player for a slightly cheaper crappy player. Big whoop
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 09:51 AM   #1450
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think this is solely based on Neal having one bad year and Lucic having had two.

On the eye test, though I'd never have admitted it last year, Lucic looked to be more engaged. I think he is actually faster than Neal. And a few of Neal's points were pretty lucky (off his butt). I didn't watch Lucic enough to say the same.

Here's something else to give optimism. Lucic played just under 20% with Kassian and Brodziak. Yet he scored just one point of his 20 with them. In particular he only had the one point with Brodziak centring him. He had better success with RNH (naturally). Any one of Backlund, Ryan, Bennett or Jankowski is better than Brodziak.

In other words, Lucic on a third line with better linemates might be way more productive. All of Backlund, Jankowski and Ryan play games much more similar to RNH than Brodziak.

Treliving is pretty good at identifying trade targets that are "about to pop". Lindholm, Hanifin, even Hamilton when he got him. I also think he tends to identify players that aren't fitting in with the team - Hamilton, Sven, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 09:53 AM   #1451
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Did we ever find out if his NMC was kept by the Flames?
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:57 AM   #1452
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Pedro View Post
Apparently it was, according to the agent. There's a smaller debate on the effect on expansion. Of course, once a player waives once, it's pretty likely he waives again. It's just a question of the player wanting more control over where he goes. And avoiding demotion, in the case of an NMC. It wouldn't surprise me at all of there's some handshake deal about it.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:57 AM   #1453
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Pedro View Post
It's remains on the Capfriendly website. They aren't always right, but they usually are.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:57 AM   #1454
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I was hoping this trade was a bad dream when I woke up this morning.
That's pretty much me.

So having let this digest for 20 hours I'm at this point.
  1. I never wanted Lucic on the Flames, yuck
  2. I have to keep reminding myself that Neal has left as well, which removes some of the yuck
  3. Lucic has the worse contract so you knew Edmonton had to kick something in
  4. What Edmonton kicked in doesn't balance this for me so I don't get it
  5. I wonder still if the Flames insisted Lucic waive his NMC, but havne't heard so and I'm nervous
  6. They do have time to sort that out though including a buy out in two years
  7. Lucic is a better fit of two players that don't fit because of physical play and not needing to play top six minutes to contribute
  8. Guys like Gaudreau calling Lucic tells me the Flames top to bottom really wanted Neal gone
  9. Which certainly pushes me to think it's more than the coach that had a problem with the guy
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:57 AM   #1455
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I think this is solely based on Neal having one bad year and Lucic having had two.

On the eye test, though I'd never have admitted it last year, Lucic looked to be more engaged. I think he is actually faster than Neal. And a few of Neal's points were pretty lucky (off his butt). I didn't watch Lucic enough to say the same.

Here's something else to give optimism. Lucic played just under 20% with Kassian and Brodziak. Yet he scored just one point of his 20 with them. In particular he only had the one point with Brodziak centring him. He had better success with RNH (naturally). Any one of Backlund, Ryan, Bennett or Jankowski is better than Brodziak.

In other words, Lucic on a third line with better linemates might be way more productive. All of Backlund, Jankowski and Ryan play games much more similar to RNH than Brodziak.

Treliving is pretty good at identifying trade targets that are "about to pop". Lindholm, Hanifin, even Hamilton when he got him. I also think he tends to identify players that aren't fitting in with the team - Hamilton, Sven, etc.
I agree with you here. While Lucic only has Lucic to blame for not producing up the lineup, he has some excuses for his production down the lineup. Here, with the soft comp our 4th and 3rd lines often get, and the quality of Bennett, Mangiapane, and Ryan at the very least (and to a lesser extent Czarnik, Dube, and Jankowski) he will be more setup to succeed as a bottom sixer.

In particular I'd like to see Peters test out a Lucic-Bennett-Czarnik line. Size, speed, and balance all represented in different areas IMO.

I also think a Lucic-Ryan-Mangiapane line could replicate the success of our 4th line in the second half of last year. I was never really sold on Hathaway being a driver on that line... he's a better skater than Lucic but overall i feel we upgraded the skill here.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 07-20-2019 at 10:01 AM.
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:58 AM   #1456
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
What are you talking about? We added a NMC to our roster that requires protection which is something we didn't have before. Pretty simple. It is one extra player to protect that we didn't have to. Ya....no #### we have two years to maneuver around. You want to hide your head in the sand for two years.....have at it.

You do realize Lucic waiver his NMC to get traded here. Why wouldn’t he waive it to potentially go to Seattle?

If you want to run around in a manic hysteria for something two years away that will undoubtedly be a non-factor...have at it.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:58 AM   #1457
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Even after sleeping on it I'm really not too upset. We traded a crappy player for a slightly cheaper crappy player. Big whoop
That's pretty much it.

The reason for the emotional red-lining, IMO, has a lot to do with the fact that it's Edmonton, and Lucic is a player that we have enjoyed trashing on for the last couple years. If it were Philly that he was coming from, I imagine most people would simply be saying "one bad contract for another"
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 10:00 AM   #1458
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can see Neal getting some pp time with mcdavid but five on five he’s way too slow
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:01 AM   #1459
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Degenerative back disease
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:02 AM   #1460
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
That's pretty much me.

So having let this digest for 20 hours I'm at this point.
  1. I never wanted Lucic on the Flames, yuck
  2. I have to keep reminding myself that Neal has left as well, which removes some of the yuck
  3. Lucic has the worse contract so you knew Edmonton had to kick something in
  4. What Edmonton kicked in doesn't balance this for me so I don't get it
  5. I wonder still if the Flames insisted Lucic waive his NMC, but havne't heard so and I'm nervous
  6. They do have time to sort that out though including a buy out in two years
  7. Lucic is a better fit of two players that don't fit because of physical play and not needing to play top six minutes to contribute
  8. Guys like Gaudreau calling Lucic tells me the Flames top to bottom really wanted Neal gone
  9. Which certainly pushes me to think it's more than the coach that had a problem with the guy
Pretty much exactly where I am.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote