Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 11:45 PM   #1441
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How are people getting downtown from SE Calgary? With the path washed out just south of Glenmore (as of last Tuesday June 3rd) I've been going parallel to deerfoot, east over glenmore, along the path, 62nd ave, millican road, ogden road, then the ogden road bridge and along the tracks through to Inglewood.

I can see path across the river but have no idea how to get there or if it would get me anywhere I want to go. I'm guessing it used to connect to the path under ogden road bridge prior to it being washed out.

Any other routes from 24th street or around southcentre Volkswagen/woodridge ford?

Also my gears keep slipping. I'll be riding and go to peddle hard to get through an intersection, or after gently/slowly passing someone I'll hammer the pedals to get up to speed and the chain seems to slip out of gear and into a lesser gear or another spokey thing (what ever the chain travels along). I had it in for a tune recently but it's always seemed to do this. Actually come to think of it my road bike (I'm talking about a mountain bike) does it too. I've almost bailed because of it, slipped on my handle bars, it's worse if I'm standing, or acutally riding a trail and need the pedal stroke, if it slips I lose all power and sometimes can't climb the steep incline I was about to go up, or corner, or embankment etc. It's also a little embarrassing.

Last edited by ranchlandsselling; 06-10-2014 at 11:50 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:19 AM   #1442
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
Well I completely took the bike apart, getting the bottom bracket off was a complete nightmare. Got it undone eventually and put in a new bottom bracket as it was completely shot, unbelievable how dirty the inside of the bracket hub was, dozens of towels and it just kept being dirty.

Cleaned up the whole thing, put on new brakes and new pedals. Going to get a new fork in a week or two, disc breaks, paint it and then it's good to go. I know a new bike is tempting but I've spent $200 on all the tools and pieces so far and another $500 to get the exact bike I want is worth it if it gives me another decade or two of transportation. Don't know if it's possible to get as durable a bike for the same $500 as a new fork and discs. Thanks for the help guys. I'll post a picture of the fork, stem and headset I have when I get them together to see what I need to do. Cheers
Right on man. If the Frames solid no need for a new bike. In the end you'll spend the same but now you'll have something different than everyone else on the road. And you have All the tools on top of that and the knowledge/satisfaction of having tore down and built something special. Its like buying and restoring an old car.Also always remember that pedels and the bottom bracket are reverse threads in the left hand side. They need to be tighten left and lossened right .

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 06-11-2014 at 03:50 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:48 AM   #1443
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
If the Frames solid no need for a new bike. In the end you'll spend the same.......
i disagree with this completely - upgrading an older bike to run new technology will always be more expensive in the long run.

the OP has said he wants to upgrade to disc brakes - assuming he means hydraulic ones - to do this he must get a new fork (which he is going to do anyways), new hubs, rotors and the brakes themselves and possibly new shifters depending on what he is currently running and maybe new skewers if you opt for the new "Maxaxles", - plus somewhow set up for discs on the back end.

To me this is easily going to run him $500 plus the cost of the fork if he goes for low end stuff. if he opts for middle of the road then it will likely be $1,000 or more.

If he opts to build up the bike and just upgrade his parts (iei go for a set of XTR/XT level v-brakes, XT/XTR shifters etc) then it is likely a better value rather than trying to fit new technology on an old bike.

building up a bike can be fun, but it can also get expensive and frustrating quickly............i am just rying to urge him to really think about how he goes about this project.

good luck to the OP on whichever route he selects. i get the cachet of having a unique bike, but even though there are lots of rocky Mountains on the showroom floor of local shops, i have yet to come across one like mine while on the trail......
Old 06-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #1444
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

I am not 100% set on the discs, what it really boils down to is durability. Is there a bike that I can ride in the mountains and the city for 15 years and still have a perfectly straight frame? If I could find one equally as durable for a comparable price I'd consider it, going to go check out the bikes they put together at the co-op tomorrow to see if they have any good deals. As I see it there's 3 options;

i)new fork, discs, repaint
ii)new fork (that uses v-brake)
iii)new bike

I think option 1 is possible for under $500 with average parts
Old 06-11-2014, 11:22 AM   #1445
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post
How are people getting downtown from SE Calgary? With the path washed out just south of Glenmore (as of last Tuesday June 3rd) I've been going parallel to deerfoot, east over glenmore, along the path, 62nd ave, millican road, ogden road, then the ogden road bridge and along the tracks through to Inglewood.

I can see path across the river but have no idea how to get there or if it would get me anywhere I want to go. I'm guessing it used to connect to the path under ogden road bridge prior to it being washed out.

Any other routes from 24th street or around southcentre Volkswagen/woodridge ford?

Also my gears keep slipping. I'll be riding and go to peddle hard to get through an intersection, or after gently/slowly passing someone I'll hammer the pedals to get up to speed and the chain seems to slip out of gear and into a lesser gear or another spokey thing (what ever the chain travels along). I had it in for a tune recently but it's always seemed to do this. Actually come to think of it my road bike (I'm talking about a mountain bike) does it too. I've almost bailed because of it, slipped on my handle bars, it's worse if I'm standing, or acutally riding a trail and need the pedal stroke, if it slips I lose all power and sometimes can't climb the steep incline I was about to go up, or corner, or embankment etc. It's also a little embarrassing.
I'd send Pylon a PM so he comes here to look - he seems pretty savvy with repairs/tuneups.
The Following User Says Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2014, 11:32 AM   #1446
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

how old is your chain? Your cog set? They could be worn out.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:36 AM   #1447
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
how old is your chain? Your cog set? They could be worn out.
Bike is 3 years old, haven't used much and had tuned in April at bow cycle. I've now ridden to and from work 5 times since having it tuned, you'd think the shop would have jumped to replace parts that were near expiration (they might have, I can't remember what was done, but I paid about $350 to tune two bikes).
The Following User Says Thank You to ranchlandsselling For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2014, 12:41 PM   #1448
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am not 100% set on the discs, what it really boils down to is durability. Is there a bike that I can ride in the mountains and the city for 15 years and still have a perfectly straight frame? If I could find one equally as durable for a comparable price I'd consider it, going to go check out the bikes they put together at the co-op tomorrow to see if they have any good deals. As I see it there's 3 options;

i)new fork, discs, repaint
ii)new fork (that uses v-brake)
iii)new bike

I think option 1 is possible for under $500 with average parts
I wonder what your fork options will be like given you need brake bosses.

durability is a long term question, so for a frame, that is hard to answer. to me hydralic brakes have been around long enough that there should be no question about durability especially if you are going with shimano slx,xt or xtr......

I'd imagine for a new bike you'd have to look in the $1,200 range to get a nice mix of components and a solid frame. that price range would be for a hardtail though. To go F/S you are likely looking at $1,800.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:17 PM   #1449
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
I'd send Pylon a PM so he comes here to look - he seems pretty savvy with repairs/tuneups.
Take out a few links off your chain to add some tension. If its skipping gears the derailuer limiters need to be adjusted.
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2014, 03:24 PM   #1450
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
i disagree with this completely - upgrading an older bike to run new technology will always be more expensive in the long run.

the OP has said he wants to upgrade to disc brakes - assuming he means hydraulic ones - to do this he must get a new fork (which he is going to do anyways), new hubs, rotors and the brakes themselves and possibly new shifters depending on what he is currently running and maybe new skewers if you opt for the new "Maxaxles", - plus somewhow set up for discs on the back end.

To me this is easily going to run him $500 plus the cost of the fork if he goes for low end stuff. if he opts for middle of the road then it will likely be $1,000 or more.

If he opts to build up the bike and just upgrade his parts (iei go for a set of XTR/XT level v-brakes, XT/XTR shifters etc) then it is likely a better value rather than trying to fit new technology on an old bike.

building up a bike can be fun, but it can also get expensive and frustrating quickly............i am just rying to urge him to really think about how he goes about this project.

good luck to the OP on whichever route he selects. i get the cachet of having a unique bike, but even though there are lots of rocky Mountains on the showroom floor of local shops, i have yet to come across one like mine while on the trail......
I disagree you can easily get that bike running for $500 with new tech. I would say Hydro's are over kill for commuting. Amazon is a great place to shop for bike parts.My rear was going to be over $200 if I got it from any shop. Got it for $70 with next day shipping. You just have to be willing to hunt the deals down.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:29 PM   #1451
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post
Bike is 3 years old, haven't used much and had tuned in April at bow cycle. I've now ridden to and from work 5 times since having it tuned, you'd think the shop would have jumped to replace parts that were near expiration (they might have, I can't remember what was done, but I paid about $350 to tune two bikes).
Sounds like you had the complete over hauls done. Usually $180 per bike for a shop to do it.
Which would of been complete tear down , degrease , regrease , built back up and wheels trued. Does sound like the shifting limiters just are a little off and chain tightened.
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2014, 05:38 PM   #1452
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
I disagree you can easily get that bike running for $500 with new tech. I would say Hydro's are over kill for commuting. Amazon is a great place to shop for bike parts.My rear was going to be over $200 if I got it from any shop. Got it for $70 with next day shipping. You just have to be willing to hunt the deals down.
As I understand the situation, his bike currently has v-brakes/cantilevers.....to upgrade to hydro he will need:

. Brake assemblies -$100 each x2 for something equal to slx, could go with avid elixir 3 for somewhere around $35 x 2
. Rotors $20 to $50 each depending on make model x 2
. New hubs or wheel set because the old one were not built for hydros
. New fork to support hydro's
. Whatever to mount hydros in rear

Might be able to go with a mix of used and low end stuff to make this happen for less than $500 - but then why do it.........
Old 06-11-2014, 08:24 PM   #1453
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't played around with disc brakes, but is it worth it for a bike? I am pretty satisfied with the simplicity of v-brakes. I guess the advantage would be your rims getting banged up a bit doesn't affect your braking.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:34 PM   #1454
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

or the thought gnawing at you that the pads are rubbing against the rim ever so slightly
Old 06-11-2014, 08:40 PM   #1455
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I haven't played around with disc brakes, but is it worth it for a bike? I am pretty satisfied with the simplicity of v-brakes. I guess the advantage would be your rims getting banged up a bit doesn't affect your braking.
For me... It came with the bike I purchased and I like them. They work very well when I apply one or both in a quick stop situation. Better than the disks I had on my entry/mid level 2006 Mountain bike however I have much better components.
2014 Kona Jake the Snake

Is it worth it... well IMO you can have just as much fun on a bike with them as one without them. I am a recreational cyclist and I am sure cantilever brakes would still serve me proper.
If you are high performance... they might mean more of a difference.

Last edited by Timbo; 06-11-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:02 PM   #1456
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hydros are far more powerful, of corse they are more complicated internally, so a trail side repair would be difficult. Changing the pads is about the same amount of effort, although pads for discs are more money.

Disc brakes are far better in wet conditions, and if you go biking at a ski resort, then hydros are pretty much a must....
Old 06-11-2014, 10:14 PM   #1457
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Disc brakes are the standard for off road rides. You can get away with mechanical discs for light trail riding. Hydro's are for medium/ hardcore trails. If your riding roads to commute mechanical discs/u brakes/ v brakes are just fine. After all when's the last time you saw a top of the line road bikes with discs?

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 06-11-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:17 PM   #1458
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
or the thought gnawing at you that the pads are rubbing against the rim ever so slightly
You still have that with disc brakes. Rotors get hit from falling or peoples tires at bike racks nailing them. Fixing a rotor is harder than just taking a spoke wrench and trueing your wheel.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:27 AM   #1459
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm 563km into what will likely be a 2000km trip to Saigon.

I've Averaged about 80km a day which I think is good for me. Cycling has been great. Road has been great and the people are friendly.

Sorry for large pics.

Spoiler!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2014, 04:43 AM   #1460
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I envy you.
Closed Thread