Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 01:20 PM   #14461
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I think you are completely overlooking the economics of the league and ignoring the horrible play and injuries of Monahan in recent years if you think he can have his entire cap moved out without taking salary back while also getting amazing value.

Monahan can be moved in a hockey trade but what teams are lining up to shell out assets to take him on when they could sign Nuge for a smaller cap hit with no assets going the other way?
Teams that miss out signing RNH. In the athletic article earlier this month, they talked about a top six forward/a top 4 Dman and a prospect/pick.

The thing that intrigues me about an other sheet scenario, is if the cost is a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Treliving has grabbed an extra 3rd this year, and extra 2nd and 3rd next year. Add whatever assets you can get from Monahan and it doesn't leave the Flames severely depleted. Bonus would be taking an asset from a rival.
Old 06-28-2021, 01:25 PM   #14462
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there any expansion draft rule that would prevent the Kraken from taking Gio, then flipping him back to the Flames with salary retained?
Old 06-28-2021, 01:27 PM   #14463
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Teams that miss out signing RNH. In the athletic article earlier this month, they talked about a top six forward/a top 4 Dman and a prospect/pick.

The thing that intrigues me about an other sheet scenario, is if the cost is a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Treliving has grabbed an extra 3rd this year, and extra 2nd and 3rd next year. Add whatever assets you can get from Monahan and it doesn't leave the Flames severely depleted. Bonus would be taking an asset from a rival.
I definitely think Monahan has a market out there but I think the Flames need to take some salary back. That whole Ottawa talk has the Flames taking a roster player in return.

Back to the offer sheet. I don’t see it as likely but if the Flames could steal Pettersson or force the Canucks to overpay to keep him it would take last summers troll job of Markstrom, Tanev, Leivo, Doningue to a new level
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2021, 02:15 PM   #14464
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Makar is the #1 target if you're going to offer sheet anyone.
Actually I may be wrong on that. Fan650 mentioned Hughes Makar and Heiskenen and said Hughes is the only one that can’t be offer sheeted.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2021, 02:33 PM   #14465
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
31 thoughts
https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...t-allegations/

Summary:
Simmonds will be back in TOR

Firm denials that Tkachuk wants out of Calgary, unlike when Seth Jones wanting out of Columbus leaked
Flames refused to include Tkachuk in PLD trade talks

Flyers are definitely working on acquiring Seth Jones

Eichel talks have quieted down for now but may pick up again when they hire a coach

Has heard Arvidsson is available

Speculates that Kraken might take Giordano in the expansion draft and flip him while retaining salary

offer sheet compensation:

Thinks Devils would move 4th OA for a a good young dman

Both Foegele and Canes appear to want a change.

Can't find anyone who doesn't believe Ovechkin's next contract is "in the drawer" until after the expansion draft

If gio gets claimed I think it should be tanev to wear the C. Normally you could dangle the captaincy in front of a star player during extension negotiations, however I could never see them extending the captaincy to Johnny. Lindholm maybe? Monahan?

is your cat doing singing?
Old 06-28-2021, 02:35 PM   #14466
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Is there any expansion draft rule that would prevent the Kraken from taking Gio, then flipping him back to the Flames with salary retained?
I would love to know this too, I’d happily pay a pick/prospect for them to eat some of the salary and traded back to us. I feel like you can’t just flip them back to the same team if I had to guess.
Old 06-28-2021, 02:38 PM   #14467
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Actually I may be wrong on that. Fan650 mentioned Hughes Makar and Heiskenen and said Hughes is the only one that can’t be offer sheeted.
Makar played 10 playoff games his first season, so it counts as an accrued season (minimum 10 games required). Hughes only played 5 games in his first season, so it doesn't count as an accrued season.

That's why Makar is an RFA and Hughes is not.
Old 06-28-2021, 02:39 PM   #14468
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

From 50.5.e.iii.C.4
“Reacquire as part of a Retained Salary Transaction the SPC of a Player who was on that Club's Reserve List within the past calendar year;

Illustration: If Club A Trades the SPC of a Player to Club B (the "Initial Trade"), Club B cannot subsequently Trade an SPC of such Player back to Club A within one (1) calendar year from the date of the Initial Trade and retain a portion of the Averaged Amount of that SPC pursuant to a Retained Salary Transaction. However, Club B may Trade an SPC of the Player back to Club A within one (1) calendar year from the date of the Initial Trade if Club B does not retain any portion of such Player's SPC.”

However, Seattle wouldn’t be taking Gio in a trade. So I dunno.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2021, 02:46 PM   #14469
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard for us to know in the locker room what player makes for best captain if Gio departs. Tanev sounds logical given his experience and play but is he a quiet guy in the locker room? Has he been around the Flames long enough to be able to be the rah rah guy or crack the whip if he sees work ethic sliding?
Old 06-28-2021, 02:54 PM   #14470
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll go out on a limb and say they e pose Tanev and protect Gio. Answers are in the room, part of the solution not the problem...
Old 06-28-2021, 03:10 PM   #14471
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'll go out on a limb and say they e pose Tanev and protect Gio. Answers are in the room, part of the solution not the problem...
That is not happening.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2021, 03:11 PM   #14472
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That would be so Flames to do. Tanev better be protected.
Old 06-28-2021, 03:12 PM   #14473
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
The issue there is that there would be more teams than just the Flames interested in Gio with salary retained. I wouldn't want to see the Flames get into a bidding war for a 38 year old Gio on an expiring contract.
Old 06-28-2021, 03:50 PM   #14474
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
The Nets analogy is pretty terrible. Offer sheets are for young players who can be part of a team for the long term. Pettersson is 22, Hughes is 21 those could be core pieces for a long time.

The Nets traded a ton of futures and pick swaps to get players well past their prime with only 1-2 years left in the league. It would be like the Flames spending a boatload of futures on Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci. 2 great players part of a top team but clearly near the end of their careers.

On a side note I wonder if pick swaps will ever catch on in the NHL like they have in the NBA. I believe the CBA in basketball limits the amount of consecutive 1st round picks a team can trade so a popular think these days is giving the team swap rights for their pick. For instance say the Flames and Jackets did an Anderson for Monahan and pick swap in 21. Flames would then obviously take the option of swapping 12th overall for 5th overall but if the Flames finished worse they would not be obligated to make the swap
The Nets analogy is meant to highlight how hamstrung the franchise was without picks while the experiment did not go as well as expected, not the age of the players in question.

Acquiring a 22 year old elite player for 4x 1st's, with I would say equal risk of this team being a lottery contender vs a playoff team, is foolhardy. Especially with the status of our prospect pipeline. It would be ludicrous asset management.
Old 06-28-2021, 03:58 PM   #14475
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Honestly I don't think it's that black and white.

Remember this site went pretty dark the day he signed the deal with even the most optimistic worrying that it was a four year deal, and not say two.

If his injuries catch up to him, or he loses a step, or reverts to his caved in numbers babysitting Hughes you may want out of that contract in 18 months or so.

At least with Giordano it's only one year and you're off that hook as well.

So yeah Tanev was great, and you kind of want to keep him, but I honestly don't think it's an open and shut issue, or at least I can understand the alternative thinking.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2021, 03:58 PM   #14476
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
The Nets analogy is meant to highlight how hamstrung the franchise was without picks while the experiment did not go as well as expected, not the age of the players in question.

Acquiring a 22 year old elite player for 4x 1st's, with I would say equal risk of this team being a lottery contender vs a playoff team, is foolhardy. Especially with the status of our prospect pipeline. It would be ludicrous asset management.
As long as the AAV is below 10.276M it's only 2 firsts, 1 second, and 1 third. So obviously you keep the offers below that. Sad to think that compensation is barely more than Treliving paid for Hamonic...
The Following User Says Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2021, 04:02 PM   #14477
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
What are the prior examples that make you think this? Treliving is pretty unsentimental when it comes to vets: Glencross, Hudler, Frolik.
Old 06-28-2021, 04:03 PM   #14478
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post

There isn’t a single RFA this summer worth the 4 1sts. There is also almost no way the Flamea carve out the cap space where they could offer a player a 10.3M cap hit so it is a moot point.

My argument to your analogy was comparing 22 year old RFA’s to a trade in another league where a team mortgaged the future for a bunch of 35 year old players. This is very different in my opinion as the Flames would be adding a potential decade+ piece to their lineup.

It is all fantasy talk anyway as the cap really limits their ability to pull it off
Old 06-28-2021, 04:05 PM   #14479
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
What are the prior examples that make you think this? Treliving is pretty unsentimental when it comes to vets: Glencross, Hudler, Frolik.
Anything that is a bad move is “such a flames move” been reading it all season no matter how true or out to lunch the claim may be. The haters follow with their thanks just to pile on
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2021, 04:09 PM   #14480
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There isn’t a single RFA this summer worth the 4 1sts. There is also almost no way the Flamea carve out the cap space where they could offer a player a 10.3M cap hit so it is a moot point.

My argument to your analogy was comparing 22 year old RFA’s to a trade in another league where a team mortgaged the future for a bunch of 35 year old players. This is very different in my opinion as the Flames would be adding a potential decade+ piece to their lineup.

It is all fantasy talk anyway as the cap really limits their ability to pull it off
Makar wouldn’t need that much. It would be the highest RFA contract ever (for a D) by $1.6M. I think you can probably offer him Chabot plus $500K.

Now the Flames can’t afford that now either but with Gio and some other some moves - maybe.
Closed Thread