Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 01:38 PM   #14201
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
I want to get rid of Lucic really bad, but not by taking on the worst contract in professional sports. Six more years of Jeff Skinner's $9M salary? Hard no.
Why? Lucic has been an amazing mentor.

I follow him on IG. He seems to like being here. He never left Calgary during the pandemic and is here for the offseason too.

Why do we want to trade guys that want to be here? Strange. The contract is not that big of a deal, IMO.
Old 06-22-2021, 01:38 PM   #14202
browntrout
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Looks like Skinner might need hip surgery, it's the Tampa way...
Old 06-22-2021, 01:40 PM   #14203
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

If acquiring Eichel means taking on Skinner as well I think you take a hard pass.

I’d rather give up more for just Eichel.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2021, 01:54 PM   #14204
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Tampa Bay has established that the league is ok with teams using LTIR to circumvent the cap.

So, hypothetically, could a team like Calgary - or anyone really - trade for eichel without having to send back salary in the form of a good player (like Tkachuk) and just put eichel on IR for the season until playoffs?

I’m never certain on this because people always mention that teams have to be cap compliant for the start of the season. But that doesn’t seem to matter with players who are on LTIR but have really just been retired (gaborik for example).

Following Tampa’s method allows a team to stack themselves specifically for a playoff run… and to keep all their top talent around. It also allows the team to have talented players on reserve if injuries happen during the season. Imagine if Stamkos and Point got injured over the span of a couple games half way through the season? I would bet kucherov would have been off LTIR and back playing for them within a week.

People love to use the example of “how many teams could keep a guy like kucherov off their line up and still make the playoffs/be near the top of the league?” A team that has spent so much money on talented players that they are a good team even before having a $10 million dollar player - that’s who. You could say that about lots of teams that could spend to the cap to be a great team and then also add a $10 million superstar that you can’t afford and just use him for the playoffs. Teams could take this even farther and decide to put their players on LTIR right before the trade deadline to stack the team for the playoffs: It’s 3/4 of the way through the season, you’re in a comfortable playoff spot, you really want the cup so you say to your top paid players: “We need you to sit for the next 2 months and rest up so any slight pain you feel is now a serious issue that needs months of recovery time.” Meanwhile, the GM goes and gets two more $8 million+ top six forwards that can fill in for you till you’re magically healed just in time to join the team + two more star players for day one of the playoffs.

I know the flames would not have the picks/prospects to trade for eichel without sending a skilled roster player back. It just seems like any team could go get eichel and not have to send salary back if they do exactly what Tampa has done. It would work well for a team that’s already loaded up front and want to be even more of a powerhouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2021, 02:06 PM   #14205
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also no way Lucic waives his ntc to go to buffalo
Old 06-22-2021, 02:09 PM   #14206
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntrout View Post
Looks like Skinner might need hip surgery, it's the Tampa way...
The Tampa way is having one of the best players in the league dodge cap. Not Jeff Skinner lol
Old 06-22-2021, 02:12 PM   #14207
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The Flames need to be able to make the playoffs without sweating if they were to hide their top player on LTIR..........There will be no playoffs for Eichel to return to.
Old 06-22-2021, 02:20 PM   #14208
browntrout
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If you can get buffalo to eat 1.5 million each year, the buyout is around 2 million per year for taking on the Skinner contract
Old 06-22-2021, 02:35 PM   #14209
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niemo View Post
The Flames need to be able to make the playoffs without sweating if they were to hide their top player on LTIR..........There will be no playoffs for Eichel to return to.

That could be true, but the flames could bring in other talent using the added cap space if giordano is claimed by Seattle. This could help the team improve enough to be a playoff team. I look at it this way: the flames are/have been a bubble playoff team for the last few years and I believe they still are. Adding another talented player (say someone like Taylor hall for example) could help them solidly a playoff spot. Then eichel joins the team at full health and with lots of rest in April could make the flames a strong playoff team that is $10 million+ over the cap. Or if some high-paid player on the team got injured two months before playoffs, eichel could possibly join the team early.

Again, this is all a moot point since the flames do not have the assets to acquire eichel without sending an established, talented player with salary the other way. This example could probably work better with other teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2021, 02:46 PM   #14210
hillspeak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Could the Flames or rumoured team trading for Tkachuk not negotiate an 8 year extension now which then negates the $9M qualifying offer? If you offer him 8 years times $7.75M right now does he take it ?
Old 06-22-2021, 02:47 PM   #14211
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
Why? Lucic has been an amazing mentor.
Amazing. The team is really taking amazing strides in a positive direction. Amiright?

Quote:
I follow him on IG. He seems to like being here. He never left Calgary during the pandemic and is here for the offseason too.
Good, maybe he can be an Instagram star, because he sucks at the hockey.

Quote:
Why do we want to trade guys that want to be here? Strange. The contract is not that big of a deal, IMO.
Because he should be paid league minimum for what what he brings to the table, not a cap hit of $5M+. And yes, that contract is a big problem. Imagine how much better this team would have been if we had an extra $5M to spend on a top six RW last off season. Yes, Lucic's contract is an albatross for a team that needs more money to bring more skill to the lineup.
Old 06-22-2021, 02:47 PM   #14212
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

When Skinner signed I think I called it the worst contract in the league apart from
Lucic.

Skinner doesn’t add anything when not scoring and it’s not like he’s awesome at that either.
Old 06-22-2021, 03:13 PM   #14213
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was thinking a few days ago that if TBL wins the cup this year, they'd have nothing to lose by trying the ultimate heel move of acquiring EicheLTIR. They need to shed salary anyways, so get returns that will interest BUF.

Cernak + Cirelli would be pretty enticing...
Old 06-22-2021, 03:28 PM   #14214
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntrout View Post
If you can get buffalo to eat 1.5 million each year, the buyout is around 2 million per year for taking on the Skinner contract
Yeah 2 million for eternity.
Old 06-22-2021, 04:02 PM   #14215
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I was thinking a few days ago that if TBL wins the cup this year, they'd have nothing to lose by trying the ultimate heel move of acquiring EicheLTIR. They need to shed salary anyways, so get returns that will interest BUF.

Cernak + Cirelli would be pretty enticing...
Why would Tampa need to shed salary? I'm sure they can figure something out.
Old 06-22-2021, 04:03 PM   #14216
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Yeah 2 million for eternity.
It's only 12 years.
Old 06-22-2021, 04:09 PM   #14217
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

There's gotta be something to this Tkachuk rumor. Every sports blog, site etc. Is posing potential offers, etc. If he does want out and it's due to the lack of support he got after the Muzzin incident, shame on the entire team.
Old 06-22-2021, 04:13 PM   #14218
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
There's gotta be something to this Tkachuk rumor. Every sports blog, site etc. Is posing potential offers, etc. If he does want out and it's due to the lack of support he got after the Muzzin incident, shame on the entire team.
Or it is way to drive clicks to their sites. So far I haven't seen anything besides SOBs report. If LeBrun says it then I will think it is real
Old 06-22-2021, 04:26 PM   #14219
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Its clickbait and nothing more.
Old 06-22-2021, 04:53 PM   #14220
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I keep seeing this, has anyone looked at it from the other side of “Matty the clown show can’t go on every night”? If he’s this great amazing leader and teammate would he have shut it down after the perceived slight or would he have focused his efforts and been a more impactful player on the ice? The narrative that he’s the player who “drags his team to the fight” rings a bit hollow if being told to knock off the constant theatrics was enough for him to pack it in.

Not that I know one way or the other but it feels like it has become accepted fact that the everyone else is a lame-o and Tkachuk is the only one who cares because of this vague story of his feelings getting hurt.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread