Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 10:10 AM   #14161
Drunk Uncle
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
This isn't really possible unless Gio is claimed or the Flames trade a core piece to a team without taking any contracts back.

The Flames can barely sign a backup goalie, Dube, the bottom pairing defensemen, and the 4th line, as is.
It is possible (this is $80M):
Gaudreau (6.75) - Lindholm (4.85) - Tkachuk (7.00)
Magiapane (2.425) - Monahan (6.375) - Hyman (5.75)
Lucic (5.25) - Backlund (5.35) - Dube (2.5)
Scrub or kid (0.8) - Ruzicka (0.8) - Ritchie (0.75)
Robinson (0.75), Froese (0.725)

Giordano (6.75) - Tanev (4.5)
Hanifin (4.95) - Andersson (4.55)
Valimaki (0.925) - Stone (0.75)
Mackey (0.75)

Markstrom (6.0)
Domingue (0.75)
Old 06-22-2021, 10:13 AM   #14162
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
I'm torn on whether Sutter is a good or bad thing going forward.

When they hired him at first I was like "yes! kick 'em in the butt, establish an identity and let's go!"

But now I'm a little more concerned about what his style of play/system will actually look like in a 82-game season, and his impact (good or bad) on roster changes.
Well, the current roster has won one playoff round and one play-in round, so roster changes are pretty likely to be positive
Old 06-22-2021, 10:14 AM   #14163
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
If the Tkachuk wants out rumour is true or not, the Flames better be exploring all options when it comes to him. If the Flames are not going able to re-sign him to a long-term deal, then the sooner they trade him the better value they will get back in trade.

I would love a Tkachuk + for Eichel return. However, am I the only one that thinks that would be idiotic for Buffalo? They have trouble keeping players - why would they want Tkachuk's looming contract issue - one more year + a potential QO acceptance?
You are not the only one.

The best approach would be to ask BUF what their ideal [but realistic] wishlist is, and then see who of Gaudreau/Monahan/Tkachuk you could move for the best value, and checks those boxes if possible.

If I'm BUF:
1. Blue-chip or established young goalie with high chance of starting for 5-10 years (Ukko is a strong prospect, but they should be betting on a tandem)

2. Blue-chip or established young RD who would compliment Dahlin or Power

3a. High upside forward prospect(s), ideally with C potential

3b. Picks

Andersson might check box 2 (but we'd need a replacement). Or a guy like Cernak, Carlo, Hronek, Pesce, Severson (only 2 to UFA), Weegar, Fabbro (or even Ellis despite his age), etc. Quite a range here and some of these are unlikely to be available.

Wolf might check 1, but I think they'd want someone ready to play now.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:14 AM   #14164
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shane O’Brien loves to stir the pot. I am sure when it comes to Tkachuk, he was just putting 2 and 2 together. His family is from St.Louis, his father is part of that organization, and he hasn’t been easy from a business perspective. It doesn’t take a genius to figure that he would like St. Louis, they would like him, and the Flames are likely looking at options. He probably didn’t realize that Tarasenko has fallen off so much when he threw his name out there.

O’Brien loves creating a ruckus and doesn’t exactly love the Flames after he got called fat and was demoted.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 06-22-2021 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:18 AM   #14165
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

I get that its in vogue to rag on the Flames all day every day on here but I don't understand the Sutter hate. For years it was complaining on here about how this team doesn't spend on coaches, now they have a proven cup winning coach and yet its still not good enough. How many coaches have a better track record than Sutter right now?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2021, 10:22 AM   #14166
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Uncle View Post

Mackey (0.75)

Markstrom (6.0)
Domingue (0.75)
I'd like to see a better back up personally. One injury for Markstrom and boom. Seasons lost. Which is fine in the old "Shane Wright" side of things. But if their aim is to be competitive, you can't leave the back up goaltending too weak. And Domingue is a pretty large question mark.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2021, 10:22 AM   #14167
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Well, the current roster has won one playoff round and one play-in round, so roster changes are pretty likely to be positive
Sure, we presume...guess we'll wait and see
Old 06-22-2021, 10:24 AM   #14168
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I'd like to see a better back up personally. One injury for Markstrom and boom. Seasons lost. Which is fine in the old "Shane Wright" side of things. But if their aim is to be competitive, you can't leave the back up goaltending too weak. And Domingue is a pretty large question mark.
Plus it would leave less money for the Gaudreau and Mangiapane extensions. And these are way more important than anything looming this season.

Not to mention, I doubt Valimaki and Ritchie sign for that little.

As for Sutter, a lot of have reservations about him. But I think most would agree that his floor better than Ward.

Last edited by 1qqaaz; 06-22-2021 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:25 AM   #14169
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
I get that its in vogue to rag on the Flames all day every day on here but I don't understand the Sutter hate. For years it was complaining on here about how this team doesn't spend on coaches, now they have a proven cup winning coach and yet its still not good enough. How many coaches have a better track record than Sutter right now?
I don't see Sutter hate on here. Maybe some doubts about things here n there but overall I agree it's the best coach we've had in a long time.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:26 AM   #14170
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Uncle View Post

Mackey (0.75)

Markstrom (6.0)
Domingue (0.75)
I don’t think Tkachuk is accepting $7M - it woul require a long term contract which I’m not sure he wants, and they also also have to ensure they have cap for the next year for Mangiapane. Anyway, Hyman’s not bad but I don’t think me moves the bar that much.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:26 AM   #14171
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Backup will be an interesting position this off season. After the expansion draft some guys will shake loose but how much do they spend on a guy who will play what, 20 games? Markstrom is going to get the lions share and then some under Sutter. Do they spend a little bit more and try to get a guy like Ullmark or make trade for someone cheap but capable like Forsberg from Ottawa? Or is it a veteran like Dell?
Old 06-22-2021, 10:28 AM   #14172
Drunk Uncle
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
That is possible with the cap being 81.5M. You could afford a 2.25M backup and Jack Campbell cost the Leaf's 1.65M last year.

I purposely left 1.5M of room because everyone will see a different opportunity with where they think the extra 1.5M should go.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:29 AM   #14173
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Backup will be an interesting position this off season. After the expansion draft some guys will shake loose but how much do they spend on a guy who will play what, 20 games? Markstrom is going to get the lions share and then some under Sutter. Do they spend a little bit more and try to get a guy like Ullmark or make trade for someone cheap but capable like Forsberg from Ottawa? Or is it a veteran like Dell?
I’d be much more comfortable if we could find a goalie that can play 1/3 games or 2/5 games. That would give us a better chance of Markstrom not getting injured (hopefully) and also give him the rest needed for the playoffs. Price is in the conference finals largely because Allen was able to step in when Price was either injured or struggling mightily during the reg season.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:31 AM   #14174
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Ullmark is an interesting thing. Can be worked into a "big trade" with Buffalo. I think he could actually be a great fit under Markstrom.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:31 AM   #14175
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I’d be much more comfortable if we could find a goalie that can play 1/3 games or 2/5 games. That would give us a better chance of Markstrom not getting injured (hopefully) and also give him the rest needed for the playoffs. Price is in the conference finals largely because Allen was able to step in when Price was either injured or struggling mightily during the reg season.
I agree that would be ideal but given Sutter's reliance on his starter and Markstrom's insistence on playing its going to be tough for a backup to get a lot of games in I think. So do they spend a little on a guy that won't see a lot of time or spend a bit more in case an injury does occur and then you have that capable 1B on hand?
Old 06-22-2021, 10:34 AM   #14176
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Plus it would leave less money for the Gaudreau and Mangiapane extensions. And these are way more important than anything looming this season.

Not to mention, I doubt Valimaki and Ritchie sign for that little.

As for Sutter, a lot of have reservations about him. But I think most would agree that his floor better than Ward.
If we are looking big picture. I don't think the Flames really have a choice but to cut a bunch of money out this off season. Flat cap has really put the pinch on the long term Outlook of the cap structure.

Like I'm really okay losing two or three of anyone not named Lindholm when it comes to core players. It's better for the long term health of the organization.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:45 AM   #14177
Drunk Uncle
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I don’t think Tkachuk is accepting $7M - it woul require a long term contract which I’m not sure he wants, and they also also have to ensure they have cap for the next year for Mangiapane. Anyway, Hyman’s not bad but I don’t think me moves the bar that much.
Tkachuk's contract isn't up this year and neither is Mangiapane's. Gio comes off the books next year and won't be getting anywhere near 6.75M if he's on the roster at all. There is lots of room to sign Mang, Tkachuk and Gaudreau long term if that is a possibility with the rumours.

Lucic's contract is up the year after and as long the deals for Valimaki and Dube are 2 years then there is room to sign them too.

I tend to agree that Hyman doesn't move the bar that much offensively and honestly I think 5.75 will be an overpay for the points he puts up. However, when I weigh that against what our team is missing in the top 6 (work ethic, speed, grit, size-210lbs, can play PP and PK) while keeping our first rounder this year, I think it's worth it.

The worst case scenario is you have an aging asset that you got for free to trade as you enter into a rebuild.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:49 AM   #14178
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Flames need an offensive PP defenseman way more than they need a second line RW. Someone who can skate the puck in the zone, shoot well, and then keep it in the zone during powerplays.

The Flames tends to invest way too much money into the wings, which are the least important positions on the team. Adding 5.75 mill to the wing doesn't really help that.
However, there aren't really any good PP options in free agency this year other than Hamilton and Barrie who are overbudget.

Last edited by 1qqaaz; 06-22-2021 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:53 AM   #14179
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think the Flames need an offensive PP defenseman way more than they need a second line RW. Someone who can skate the puck in the zone, shoot well, and then keep it in the zone during powerplays.

The Flames tends to invest way too much money into the wings, which are the least important positions on the team. Adding 5.75 mill to the wing doesn't really help that.
If you don't think the RW depth is the biggest problem on this team, I'm not sure what to say.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:53 AM   #14180
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I kind of agree with this, altho it would be nice to have a RH winger, but yea we could use a legit offensive D-man that doesn't suck defensively.
Closed Thread