Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 09:19 PM   #14101
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
So the team comes in first in the West.
Gio playing with Brodie doubles his production to become point per game and the Norris favourite.
Meanwhile, Brodie himself gets almost the same number of points Gio got last year, good for 34 (43rd in a 31 team league, without PP1 time. Tied for 22nd in even strength points) and is +29 (good for 9th in the league).
28 years old, in his prime, and a friendly 4.65 M cap hit

And he is going to get only a 3rd or 4th?

Tre should back up his truck full of lower round draft picks, find a few other Brodies out there, and build the best blue line in the league.

Everything you said is true, but I don’t thing I want a truck load of Brodie’s manning the blue line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 09:26 PM   #14102
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
That last paragraph is a nightmare.

I don't understand, was there something wrong with my writing of the last paragraph?
Old 05-22-2019, 10:29 PM   #14103
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I hope the rumours around Monahan aren't true. He's not a perfect hockey player but he's pretty good as far as 1st line centers go.

Monahan had his struggles down the stretch but I think that just showed how much we depended on him as our only offensive C. I hope Backs remains a Flame for his entire career but ideally he's a 3rd line C. I'd like Tre to package some combination of Brodie, Frolik, Janko, the 1st round pick and maybe several prospects for a line driving offensive C to support Monahan, not replace him.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RedHawk12 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 10:43 PM   #14104
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Yeah it is.

He’s young, signed to a great contract, has back to back 76 point seasons and is elite defensively.

He’s everything we dreamed Monny would be and is the Philly’s best player.

He is their Toews, Bergeron or Kopitar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gaudreau and Monny have better numbers than him...points and much better plus minus. They are also both YOUNGER so I'm not sure what you mean the guy we dreamed about. Mony is two years younger, when Couturier was 24 (Monahan's age this season) he had 34 points. A guy with 76 points and +2 rating is elite defensively?

Seems like a grass is greener thing to me. No way I trade Gaudreau for him straight up.

I am not arguing that Couturier is a bad player but to say he is worth more than anyone on the Flames roster? nope.

Last edited by dino7c; 05-22-2019 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:04 PM   #14105
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Monahan is a fine player and a very good goal scorer, but that being said he isn't a player I can see leading this team to a Cup.

His skating is below average already and he mostly likely isn't going to get better. He has size but he doesn't use it, I am not saying that he needs to go out and hit everything that moves, but he rarely engages physically in puck battles. He isn't great defensively, partly because he doesn't engage in puck battles, and partly because he is slow and often lazy on the back check.

I wouldn't just trade Monahan just for the sake of trading him, but I would definitely explore trading him, because we need a better number 1 center to take the next step with this team.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:21 PM   #14106
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post
Monahan is a fine player and a very good goal scorer, but that being said he isn't a player I can see leading this team to a Cup.

His skating is below average already and he mostly likely isn't going to get better. He has size but he doesn't use it, I am not saying that he needs to go out and hit everything that moves, but he rarely engages physically in puck battles. He isn't great defensively, partly because he doesn't engage in puck battles, and partly because he is slow and often lazy on the back check.

I wouldn't just trade Monahan just for the sake of trading him, but I would definitely explore trading him, because we need a better number 1 center to take the next step with this team.

^I agree with this. I think one solution if we keep them Monahan and Gaudreau together is to add someone in the top 6 with some decent skills, size and speed. This way come playoff time we can make adjustments. I think Monahan and Gaudreau have the skill but not enough other assets to carry the team.

Either we upgrade the top line or we rebuild the second line adding more toughness and speed. I have to agree exploring trade options, "or what Flash suggested in another post"; Flames should examine options to upgrade our top 2 centers.
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 11:27 PM   #14107
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Gaudreau and Monny have better numbers than him...points and much better plus minus. They are also both YOUNGER so I'm not sure what you mean the guy we dreamed about. Mony is two years younger, when Couturier was 24 (Monahan's age this season) he had 34 points. A guy with 76 points and +2 rating is elite defensively?

Seems like a grass is greener thing to me. No way I trade Gaudreau for him straight up.

I am not arguing that Couturier is a bad player but to say he is worth more than anyone on the Flames roster? nope.
Couturier was playing lesser minutes in a shutdown role and was developing his two-way play until two years ago when he was finally used on the top line... he was already shutting down guys like Malkin in the playoffs (very effectively too) in his rookie season. I wouldn't trade Gaudreau for him, but he's a better two-way player than Monahan right now.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:26 AM   #14108
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk12 View Post
I hope the rumours around Monahan aren't true. He's not a perfect hockey player but he's pretty good as far as 1st line centers go.

Monahan had his struggles down the stretch but I think that just showed how much we depended on him as our only offensive C. I hope Backs remains a Flame for his entire career but ideally he's a 3rd line C. I'd like Tre to package some combination of Brodie, Frolik, Janko, the 1st round pick and maybe several prospects for a line driving offensive C to support Monahan, not replace him.
I doubt they are. I have yet to see one credible source say that Monahan is on the block.

The only people that want to trade him are the irrational people that are still angry he played bad for 5 games in April and for some reason expect him to be Sidney Crosby.

I saw Monahan and a 1st for Larkin proposed seriously in here a few pages back and I almost spit out my drink at how absurd that proposal was.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 12:43 AM   #14109
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

No trading Monahan, instead improve the players around guys like Monahan and become a deeper team upfront.

That is the key to improving.

I think the biggest disappointments last year were Neal, Jankowski and Frolik.. Now before you get all reactionary hear me out..

Frolik and Neal were disappointing in that neither one could fill a 2nd line role thorughout the year. I think Frolik had spurts of being effective in that role but he isn't consistent enough to warrant full time duty. Neal was even more disappointing because he was barley 3rd line calibre whereas Frolik is easily a Top 9 forward.

Jankowski was a beast on the PK as he was 2nd in the league, to only Grabner, in PK points. I think that is a major positive for him but I also don't think he provided us with a reliable 4th option up the middle from a 5v5 standpoint. Peters referenced as much, it seems, when commenting about Lindholm moving to center. Unfortunately a dearth on RW limited that as a viable option this past season.

The goal should be to find a couple RWers or one RWer and a C to compliment the top 4 forwards we already have in place.

Bennett-Backlund-Dube
Mangiapane-Ryan-Hathaway
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 09:26 AM   #14110
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I saw Monahan and a 1st for Larkin proposed seriously in here a few pages back and I almost spit out my drink at how absurd that proposal was.

I don't think Monahan for Larkin is spit out your drink crazy. I haven't watched much of Larkin but isn't he supposed to be a good 2 way guy?
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 09:30 AM   #14111
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love Monahan, but Detroit isn't trading Larkin for him. He's the next Captain and hometown boy to boot. A late first isn't going to entice Detroit to trade him for Monahan.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 09:34 AM   #14112
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I doubt they are. I have yet to see one credible source say that Monahan is on the block.

The only people that want to trade him are the irrational people that are still angry he played bad for 5 games in April and for some reason expect him to be Sidney Crosby.

You can call it irrational if you want, but outside of being a very good goal scorer what does Monahan bring to the table? He isn't good defensively, he is average in the dot, he can't carry the puck, he can't create his own shot, he provides zero physicality.

If you look at the Bruins and the Blues, Bergeron, Krejci, O'Reilly and Schenn all provide the things above.

I just think if we want this team to get to the next level we need to upgrade Monahan.

I also realize that that is easier said than done, there are what like 20-30 centers in the league that are an upgrade on Monahan and teams will be very reluctant to just hand over number 1 centers.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:36 AM   #14113
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Schenn sucks at faceoffs...
Old 05-23-2019, 09:47 AM   #14114
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I love Monahan, but Detroit isn't trading Larkin for him. He's the next Captain and hometown boy to boot. A late first isn't going to entice Detroit to trade him for Monahan.
Agreed.

Personally, I think people who would be "spitting out their drinks" would be showing complete homerism.

1. Dylan Larkin is 2 years younger than Sean Monahan

2. Both players have 4 years left on their contract but Larkin is ~300k cheaper

3. Over the past 4 seasons, both players are playing about 80 games a season, which is a wash.

4. Both players are approximately the same height and weight, although I would say that Larkin is a lot better skater.

5. Over the course of his career, Monahan has hovered around 30 goals a season. Larkin got 2 less goals than Monahan last season, which both players highest goals total (32 vs. 34)

5. Over the past 2 seasons, Larkin has 63 and 73 points while Monahan has 64 and 82 points. I think this is where there is a big difference.
--->The second highest point producer this past season for Detroit was Athanasiou with 54 points (almost 20 points less than Larkin). This makes it pretty evident that Larkin produces his own offense and is capable of running his own line. In comparison, Monahan has been playing with a PPG player and someone who scored 99 points this past season. Monahan is a great complimentary player but I personally don't think he would be even close to 80 points if he was playing on Detroit.

I am not saying that Monahan should be traded for scraps (although, I have no issues trading him if the right deal is on the table). However, I think it would be Detroit who rejects Monahan and the 26th overall pick for Larkin.

Last edited by keenan87; 05-23-2019 at 09:55 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 09:53 AM   #14115
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post

4. Both players are approximately the same height and weight, although I would say that Larkin is a lot better skater.

Skating wise it's not even a competition, Larkin is one of the fastest skaters in the nhl.

https://www.si.com/nhl/2016/01/30/nh...-skater-record
The Following User Says Thank You to Saqe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 10:30 AM   #14116
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thoughts on a deal around:

Rask + Zucker for Frolik + Neal
Old 05-23-2019, 10:31 AM   #14117
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

Plus/minus???? You are using that in isolation to look at a players defensive ability. Tsk, tsk.

You obviously know little about Couturier. He generally shuts down the other teams best player. He's only been used in any kind of offensive role for the last two years. Johnny is a different type of player, so they are hard to compare. But Couturier is so much better than Monny it's not debatable.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:34 AM   #14118
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetric View Post
Thoughts on a deal around:

Rask + Zucker for Frolik + Neal
Think again.

Rask is a better bet than Neal to rebound and his contract is better..

Rumoured trade before was Zucker for Frolik and a first.

So, you added the Neal/Rask downgrade and left off the first round pick LOL.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:35 AM   #14119
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Think again.

Rumoured trade before was Zucker for Frolik and a first.

So, you added the Neal/Rask downgrade and left off the first round pick LOL.
Cost was higher at the deadline, there's no way Zucker is worth Frolik at a first this time around. I wouldn't give that up for a 20g Zucker, I'd prefer we flip Frolik for picks if that's the case.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:59 AM   #14120
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Think again.

Not sure I buy that. He hasn't been that great for two seasons now.

Think we are stuck with Neal though.
Closed Thread