Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 10:22 AM   #14021
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

The cynic in me feels that Hoffman was the Flames plan 'A' this summer and now thats gone to hell.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2018, 10:23 AM   #14022
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

@Textcritic

That's another way to balance the offense which would be fine.

I just don't see Hamilton as off limits if the return is right.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:24 AM   #14023
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's no way I want Hoffman near this team now. Way too much baggage. It'll be interesting to see where he goes. Voynov would also be an interesting target for some teams. Does anyone even take the risk of signing him?
Old 06-13-2018, 10:30 AM   #14024
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
There's no way I want Hoffman near this team now. Way too much baggage. It'll be interesting to see where he goes. Voynov would also be an interesting target for some teams. Does anyone even take the risk of signing him?
If the NHL clears Voynnov to play next year I will assume someone will pick him up.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:31 AM   #14025
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
@Textcritic

That's another way to balance the offense which would be fine.

I just don't see Hamilton as off limits if the return is right.
Nobody if off limits if someone wants to overpay. That being said I would want an overpayment to move Hamilton.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:33 AM   #14026
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
No. No team will be coveting Lucic's five-year cap hit. That contract is completely toxic: it won't yield on-ice results, it can't be bought out, it can't be traded.

Milan Lucic is an Oiler. He will remain an Oiler.
It's a virtual guarantee that the Oilers will eventually put Lucic on LTIR permanently, citing Scheuermann's Disease.

It's just going to happen a lot sooner than I thought.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:35 AM   #14027
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But the most glaring hole up front on this team is not on the top line, it is in the bottom-nine. I don't think the Flames need a 60–70 point forward as desperately as they need more players to produce 15–20 goals in lines 2 and 3 especially. This does not require the acquisition of a top-30 scorer.

The Flames would be much improved by adding a player who can drive a second scoring line. A secondary-offensive forward of this sort is the kind of player that they realistically could acquire by moving Brodie.
Careful. This line of thinking seemed to lead to Sutter's famed acquisitions of former 20 goal scorers. A top 30 scorer would certainly help this team more than a 15 goal scorer IMO. Granted such players are harder and more expensive to acquire.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2018, 10:50 AM   #14028
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
It's a virtual guarantee that the Oilers will eventually put Lucic on LTIR permanently, citing Scheuermann's Disease.

It's just going to happen a lot sooner than I thought.
The question is will the NHL doctors agree. I don't think they will. There are articles only a few months old saying he is in great shape. The problem is he is a square peg trying to fit into the the new NHL.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:51 AM   #14029
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
The question is will the NHL doctors agree. I don't think they will. There are articles only a few months old saying he is in great shape. The problem is he is a square peg trying to fit into the the new NHL.
Hossa is on LTIR for a rash. There's little doubt this will be an easy ask by the Oilers.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:53 AM   #14030
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Careful. This line of thinking seemed to lead to Sutter's famed acquisitions of former 20 goal scorers.
Sutter never seemed to figure out that a former 20 goal scorer (who did so while getting top 6 minutes with good PP time) would not produce the same when relegated to the bottom 6 without PP time.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:59 AM   #14031
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Careful. This line of thinking seemed to lead to Sutter's famed acquisitions of former 20 goal scorers. A top 30 scorer would certainly help this team more than a 15 goal scorer IMO. Granted such players are harder and more expensive to acquire.
In my estimation the flames are short a 25 goal winger or a 40 assist center, which is ostensibly a top line talent.

Hard to understate just how good the top line played for Calgary last year. If they get the same production from that line next year they will likely finish 30-50 goals back of the top 10. If the top line has any kind of drop off or injury that gap will widen.

The flames are in the unenviable position of needing both top end as well as depth forwards. If backlund doesn't score 20 goals next year the flames are probably in tough to make the post season. The team needs to acquire another winger to help boost his production or another centre to push him down the lineup.

Considering the needs and the lack of organizational assets I could see a Hamilton trade being used to acquire those pieces.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:00 AM   #14032
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Hossa is on LTIR for a rash. There's little doubt this will be an easy ask by the Oilers.
I don't think it will be that easy. It is easy to say sitting here behind a keyboard, but only a few know the medical history of the players and what is going on. In regards to Hossa, for all we know the treatments got to the point where Hossa would have to take some items from a banned list. It became public that what was working before wasn't working any longer. I will let the doctors deal with that and if the NHL doctors agree when then it is what it is.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:01 AM   #14033
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default 2017/2018 Trade Speculation and Rumors

Quote:
The cost for a top line player is simply too high, and would create another hole in the lineup. Moreover the acquisition of an established or emerging second-line scorer is not remotely comparable to D. Sutter’s collection of reclamation forwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2018, 11:05 AM   #14034
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
The cynic in me feels that Hoffman was the Flames plan 'A' this summer and now thats gone to hell.

Maybe a potential trade between the Flames and Sens could play out like this scene from Star Wars where:
The Jawas are the Senators
Uncle Owen is Brad Treliving
Luke is Craig Conroy
C-3PO is Michael Stone
R5-D4 (the red astromech) is Mike Hoffman
R2-D2 is Mark Stone

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2018, 11:08 AM   #14035
MikeMc
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
No. No team will be coveting Lucic's five-year cap hit. That contract is completely toxic: it won't yield on-ice results, it can't be bought out, it can't be traded.

Milan Lucic is an Oiler. He will remain an Oiler.
If Seattle comes on board shortly and the expansion rules remain the same, he would be a mandatory protected player i believe as well. Or am i out to lunch?
Old 06-13-2018, 11:09 AM   #14036
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
In my estimation the flames are short a 25 goal winger or a 40 assist center, which is ostensibly a top line talent.

Hard to understate just how good the top line played for Calgary last year. If they get the same production from that line next year they will likely finish 30-50 goals back of the top 10. If the top line has any kind of drop off or injury that gap will widen.

The flames are in the unenviable position of needing both top end as well as depth forwards. If backlund doesn't score 20 goals next year the flames are probably in tough to make the post season. The team needs to acquire another winger to help boost his production or another centre to push him down the lineup.

Considering the needs and the lack of organizational assets I could see a Hamilton trade being used to acquire those pieces.
I am prioritizing the playmaking center personally, in the hopes that a scoring winger can magically appear among the prospect ranks. And also that the right center can make his wingers better players.

But there are also these rumors that Treliving is looking to get back into the draft this year. Which maybe was the plan all along with the Hamonic trade? Maybe he realizes this team is not a trade or UFA away from contending and wants to continue to build the organization so that some of these answers can eventually come from within.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:09 AM   #14037
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc View Post
If Seattle comes on board shortly and the expansion rules remain the same, he would be a mandatory protected player i believe as well. Or am i out to lunch?
Correct! But not that this matters much: the Oilers have virtually nothing worth protecting beyond their top line, their goalie and a few defensemen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 06-13-2018, 11:12 AM   #14038
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hamilton for Subban make sense to anyone?

Gio - brodie
Valimaki - Subban
Andersson - Stone

Pretty good vets for Valimaki and Andersson to learn from
Old 06-13-2018, 11:16 AM   #14039
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Or the price just got a hell of a lot cheaper.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:17 AM   #14040
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I am prioritizing the playmaking center personally, in the hopes that a scoring winger can magically appear among the prospect ranks. And also that the right center can make his wingers better players.

But there are also these rumors that Treliving is looking to get back into the draft this year. Which maybe was the plan all along with the Hamonic trade? Maybe he realizes this team is not a trade or UFA away from contending and wants to continue to build the organization so that some of these answers can eventually come from within.
I would also be more inclined towards the playmaking C, but that is likely a more expensive asset to acquire.

If you can get a 25 goal winger and a 15 goal winger for the same price as a 65 point C I think the flames need to take the wingers.
Closed Thread