Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #1381
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
Some of the NCAA guys I have on twitter think the Award will go to LeBlanc because the voters generally show a bias for older players.
I think having the nickname Gaudreaubey Baker would even up that pesky bias.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #1382
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brossoit will be on the fan at 525 and gaudreau at 325 today
jg13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:05 AM   #1383
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Some of the NCAA guys I have on twitter think the Award will go to LeBlanc because the voters generally show a bias for older players.
That makes no sense.

If it was me the bias would be towards the younger players. It is much more impressive for a younger player to put up more points in less games in his second year, than a older player putting up less points in more games in his 4th year.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:05 AM   #1384
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
I think having the nickname Gaudreaubey Baker would even up that pesky bias.
I would love that, just don't see it happening.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #1385
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The voters definitely give the edge to seniors because they assume underclassmen will have another chance to win, but I'd be shocked if LeBlanc gets it. I haven't seen him as much as the other 2 guys (until recently, I lived within walking distance of Quinnipiac's campus, and I'm a BC alum, so I've seen a lot of Gaudreau and Hartzell), but I really think those two are on a different level than LeBlanc. I don't know how you compare a forward to a goalie, but they usually seem to have a slight preference for forwards, so there's a very good chance the Gaudreau takes it.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gargamel For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #1386
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargamel View Post
The voters definitely give the edge to seniors because they assume underclassmen will have another chance to win, but I'd be shocked if LeBlanc gets it. I haven't seen him as much as the other 2 guys (until recently, I lived within walking distance of Quinnipiac's campus, and I'm a BC alum, so I've seen a lot of Gaudreau and Hartzell), but I really think those two are on a different level than LeBlanc. I don't know how you compare a forward to a goalie, but they usually seem to have a slight preference for forwards, so there's a very good chance the Gaudreau takes it.
I hope you are right
Old 04-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #1387
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brossoit stops 21 of 22 and is named 2nd star (.966 SV% through 6 games)
Wotherspoon picks up an assist (7 points through 7 games)
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #1388
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not to take anything away from Wotherspoon but in the post season the Winterhawks have scored 5.57 goals per game, if he wasn't a point per game I would be concerned.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #1389
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well Jones only has 5 points.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #1390
Redmonster
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Found this on twitter:

Szymon Szemberg @Sz1909_Szemburg
Exciting for @NHLFlames fans; prospect G Reto Berra turns away 37 shots in Swiss' 2-1 pre worlds exh. win vs Russia in Fribourg.
Redmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Redmonster For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #1391
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmonster View Post
Found this on twitter:

Szymon Szemberg @Sz1909_Szemburg
Exciting for @NHLFlames fans; prospect G Reto Berra turns away 37 shots in Swiss' 2-1 pre worlds exh. win vs Russia in Fribourg.
yeah, he also saved a penalty shot in the 3rd period. Swiss media says he was great and that without him it could have been ugly for Switzerland.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #1392
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Not to take anything away from Wotherspoon but in the post season the Winterhawks have scored 5.57 goals per game, if he wasn't a point per game I would be concerned.
Agreed, but if you look at the team's playoff stats, he's playing a big role, which is what I'm looking for.

StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #1393
Knut

Exp:

Only a plus 3 though. That is worrisome as there are some +4's and a +5 on the team.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #1394
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Agreed, but if you look at the team's playoff stats, he's playing a big role, which is what I'm looking for.

Haha looking at that list is goin to piss off all those fans who wanted Rattie and Pouliot as returns in the Bouwmeester and Iginla deals.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #1395
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Calgary Flames possess variety of talent in NCAA and Europe
Quote:
The Calgary Flames have a good mix of talent amongst their prospects playing in the NCAA and Europe. The organization has eight forwards and one defenseman that possess varying degrees of speed, skill, character, physicality, size, and grit. The two goalies play the butterfly style with very different attributes to their games. These young prospects have shown improvement in their development this year and could add good overall depth to the Flames' organization in the very near future.
New article posted today, has some great updates on Flames prospects.

Last edited by StrykerSteve; 04-06-2013 at 11:12 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #1396
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Here's a guy that gets almost no press, but seems to fit the bill of precisely what this team needs right now.

Quote:
Bill Arnold, C, Boston College Eagles (Hockey East)
Drafted 4th round, 108th overall, in 2010

Arnold had a very good junior season for the Boston College Eagles and put up even better offensive numbers than last year. The quick skating centerman collected 17 goals (five on the power play and one shorthanded) along with 18 assists in 38 NCAA games. He is an excellent two-way player that has the game to be a scoring playmaker. The big centerman's strengths are his hockey IQ, defensive awareness in his end of the rink, and terrific work ethic.

Arnold has been the Eagles' shutdown center and top penalty killer for the last two seasons while also seeing time on the power play. The reliable centerman was used by his coaches in all of the important game situations this season. The 20-year-old needs to play with more physicality, shoot the puck more frequently, and work on a quicker release. The fourth round pick has the potential to be a solid second line center at the NHL level for the Flames in the very near future.
6'0, 218lb reliable shutdown Center that specializes in PK'ing while contributing 17g, 18a, 35p in 38 games. Can't wait for he and Gaudreau to hit the AHL level.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #1397
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I like the information you get from hockeys future. But they are usually out of date, and prospects can progress/regress quickly. I think you kind of have to combine the HF profile with current stats to get a full picture.

I'm not sure about Arnold from what Ive heard. He is still to far away to know if his game will translate.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #1398
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Re: Wotherspoon by Alberta Beef. Don't expect offence from him as he turns pro. He's not that, the fact he's putting up ppg in playoffs is an amazing it might give him more confidence in trying to jump up.

Last edited by Da_Chief; 04-06-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #1399
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post

I'm not sure about Arnold from what Ive heard. He is still to far away to know if his game will translate.
Two 35 point seasons for a guy who is projected as a 3rd line two way centre is pretty good. Shows that he may have greater potential than what he was projected to be.

I think he might be one of the safer prospects the Flames have. He looks to have the size, and the two way game to at least play in the bottom 6, but also has the potential, if he continues to develop to maybe play in the top 6.

His game is exactly the type of game that SHOULD translate to the pros, but we will see.

He's going back to BC for another year, but I think he and Gaudreau will turn pro the year after. It'll be easier for both of them to turn pro together as they'll have each other for support.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #1400
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Arnold is very good defensively and alway seems to be in the right place at the right time to score goals, but I don't think he has the skill to be a top 6 guy in the NHL. Its not that he's unskilled, but I expect future top 6 guys to look like men among boys at the college level, and Arnold doesn't. He might top out as a poor man's David Moss, but there's certainly a place for guys like that on the 3rd and 4th lines if they can stay healthy. If he wants to slot into that role fairly quickly as a pro, he needs to focus on getting more physical during his senior season at BC.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 , 2013 , heat , prospects , statistics