Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2011, 02:16 PM   #121
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Well I was upset that people were getting into the Battlefield 3 alpha and I wasn't but now I don't have to be upset.

That is all.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:46 PM   #122
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

When should we expect the full report?
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #123
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasa View Post
When should we expect the full report?
Probably not until the NDA is lifted.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #124
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Well I was upset that people were getting into the Battlefield 3 alpha and I wasn't but now I don't have to be upset.

That is all.
You and me both
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #125
photon

Exp:

*forum air guitar riff!*
Old 08-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #126
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
*forum air guitar riff!*
I want to be happy for you but I just can't...
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #127
PowerPlayoffs06
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Got my beta invite yesterday too. So stoked for Tuesday night.
PowerPlayoffs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #128
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wanted to bump this to see what the impressions are from those that got the beta. It seemed to have a ton of hype early but for some strange reason (who am I kidding it is star wars and that is why I am still interested) it is something I might try.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:27 PM   #129
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Wanted to bump this to see what the impressions are from those that got the beta. It seemed to have a ton of hype early but for some strange reason (who am I kidding it is star wars and that is why I am still interested) it is something I might try.
AFAIK, the beta is still under NDA, so anybody currently testing it are not yet permitted to share their impressions.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:58 PM   #130
photon

Exp:

I can say that it's a game though.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:09 PM   #131
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
I can say that it's a game though.
reported
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:19 PM   #132
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
reported
I've heard it may be a movie.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:07 PM   #133
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
AFAIK, the beta is still under NDA, so anybody currently testing it are not yet permitted to share their impressions.
Well that sucks. I thought it would be a little closer since I was told some places are taking pre-orders. Thinking I might have been given some false info as I couldn't find any release date and thought it was odd they are taking orders.

Hope you all are having fun
Old 09-19-2011, 10:24 PM   #134
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
I've heard it may be a movie.
Maybe it's an interactive movie, kind of like Rebel Assault 2!
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:54 PM   #135
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Release Date annouced - December 20th, 2011.

Pre-order gets early access.

Is it going to be worth getting? I haven't played yet.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #136
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post

Is it going to be worth getting? I haven't played yet.

All signs point to no. Vanilla WoW clone that does not take advantage of any innovation that Blizzard has made to help remove the feeling of needless grinding, such as gimmick quests (fly that rocket, boy!) and area phasing.

The one big selling point to separate it from WoW or Rift that is being hammered home by EA is the voice acting. When a game costs about the same as a major motion picture to develop (Between 120 and 150 million depending who you ask, about the same as the first Transformers movie) I would hope they would have something more to sell me on than the sound.

That being said, I will play the game and I will be a Jedi, like my father before me.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 09-24-2011, 01:38 PM   #137
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think it will be good, but I'm still getting it to try it.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:34 PM   #138
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll play it, I just wish I didn't have to interact with other people in the game to do so.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:07 AM   #139
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
All signs point to no. Vanilla WoW clone that does not take advantage of any innovation that Blizzard has made to help remove the feeling of needless grinding, such as gimmick quests (fly that rocket, boy!) and area phasing.
Ugh, if I put all that $$$ into a game, I'd try to make it a much different experience than WoW. I get that they have a successful model, but copying it isn't the right thing to do and it won't win you subs.

Give me dynamic (and working) PvP or Realm vs. Realm.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:43 AM   #140
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
Ugh, if I put all that $$$ into a game, I'd try to make it a much different experience than WoW. I get that they have a successful model, but copying it isn't the right thing to do and it won't win you subs.

Give me dynamic (and working) PvP or Realm vs. Realm.
This is the thing. It will get them subs. The problem with a game like Conan being a WoW clone is that there just isn't a ton of interest in the Conan mythos. So when many had the choice of exploring the lore of Conan which was from way before the average player's time other than a few AHHHHNULD! movies or the the Warcraft lore which many players have been immersed in since what? 1994? Right in the wheelhouse for the average gamer who would have been between 5 and 19 when that dropped. Factor in the fact that almost all of the major lore in WC is game based which is easier to access and it was just a lot simpler to learn about what you were playing as opposed to going back and finding out more about Conan. It didn't help that most people who Conan was vying for were already level 70 and in raiding/pvp epics with WotLK on the horizon.

TOR will not have that problem. Not only is the Star Wars lore easily accessed, but the lore that is pertinent to TOR doesn't even require you to listen to one poorly timed or poorly added "NOOOOOOOOOO!" The Knights of the Old Republic games are all you need, but if you're an eagre beaver then there are books, if you're so inclined, or an even easier read in comics.

How many people will sub both or drop WoW simply because the preamble is a yellow lettered scroll? Christ, even I'm gonna play another MMO, even though I really really don't want to, because I get a lightsabre and can run around in character being an annoying ####. Copying WoW will essentially give them the ability to advertise to players by saying "We have a new fancy shoe that is custom fit to you whether you know it or not."

EA saw the writing on the wall even before development on this game began. WoW had created a game model that was both enticing for new players but challenging enough to old players all while preventing people from losing interest in the in-between. How many MMOs failed because they changed it up? Warhammer, Matrix, a few others. If you're a major company sinking as much money as EA is the game cannot fail. If it fails there are a lot of things that can suddenly go south. To expect the game to start off as anything other than a WoW clone is naive and that's what major content patches are for. To start deviating as you build player base and get the warm to the idea. What has bugged a lot of the non-NDA binded reviewers that got to play and is bugging myself is not that it's a WoW clone that deviates very little from the template set. Most of us expected as much at the start. It's bugging us that it's a VANILLA WoW clone. It's cloning a game from 2004, a 7-year-old game taking no advantage of anything that has been gift wrapped to them to make a game that eases the grinding and fetch quests or increases the "wowzer" factor with changing visuals and a sense of your actions having an affect on the environment.

It's a mistake that will cost them players who played WoW and know that there's a game that makes it funner and easier, especially Vanilla WoW players who remember waiting an hour to kill one mob with a long re-spawn and a line up of players there to kill it who don't want to group and high level griefers who kill it just to laugh at you.

Then there's a concern of no real end-game content at the drop which will also hurt.

That all being said. Still gonna play it. Be a Jedi etc. Father before me etc.

Edit- Another thing I forgot to mention is that TOR also has a huge opening because WoW is considered to be at an all time low as far as end-game content and Lore which is huge. A lot of players (such as myself) felt closure when they killed Arthas as he had been the antagonist most players had wanted to get to since the end of the first act in WCIII back in 2002. There is another big fish out there that players would like to face (Sargeras) but currently it's meh. While Blackwing is a nice villain, he's not a villain I feel I have any vested interest in killing since I wasn't playing the books, I was reading them. He didn't cause me any grief. He didn't kill an Uther, as it were. So there is a huge sea of players who are actively looking for something new, and with no WoW expansion even announced as far as I know, TOR has the perfect window but risk ####ing it up with their poor decision making.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver

Last edited by Blaster86; 09-25-2011 at 01:19 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post: