Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2024, 08:21 PM   #121
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Andersson, Weegar, Hanifin is a good trio to build a D-core around for many years, so a re-signing wouldn't be the worst thing.

But that Lindholm return was juuuuuicy. I'd love to double that up.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 08:29 PM   #122
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
I don’t. And I don’t think Hanifin does either. He won’t accept 2x$8M which I’d be fine with since he’d still have value at the end of it. They want to be paid for their decline years which I don’t want any part of.
lol if Hanifin didn’t think he was a top pairing guy then he would have jumped all over the initial Flames number. We just disagree, it’s like the ECHL goalie thing, I think you are underestimating how hard it is to find quality NHL players and that is basically impossible to have an ever flowing pipeline of top line/top pairing guys.
Continually turning over every guy who isn’t Bedard at 27 would have a team stuck in the bottom tier of the league continually.
I think the Flames need to focus on drafting/trades, committing to the guys who earn it, and staying away from the UFA market. I’ll take signing Hanifin to 8 years than ever having to watch a guy like Brouwer or Neal again.
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2024, 08:31 PM   #123
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Andersson, Weegar, Hanifin is a good trio to build a D-core around for many years, so a re-signing wouldn't be the worst thing.

But that Lindholm return was juuuuuicy. I'd love to double that up.
I’d keep Hanifin and trade Andersson. I feel like Andersson will return more and he’ll have a steeper regression because of fitness levels
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2024, 08:32 PM   #124
DylanScores
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I don’t know but I have this gut feeling that Noah just played his last game as a Flame. I hope I am wrong and happy to be wrong!
DylanScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 08:35 PM   #125
Press Level
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanScores View Post
I don’t know but I have this gut feeling that Noah just played his last game as a Flame. I hope I am wrong and happy to be wrong!

Everyone scores in their final game...
Press Level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 08:35 PM   #126
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
lol if Hanifin didn’t think he was a top pairing guy then he would have jumped all over the initial Flames number. We just disagree, it’s like the ECHL goalie thing, I think you are underestimating how hard it is to find quality NHL players and that is basically impossible to have an ever flowing pipeline of top line/top pairing guys.
Continually turning over every guy who isn’t Bedard at 27 would have a team stuck in the bottom tier of the league continually.
I think the Flames need to focus on drafting/trades, committing to the guys who earn it, and staying away from the UFA market. I’ll take signing Hanifin to 8 years than ever having to watch a guy like Brouwer or Neal again.
I really don’t think we are that far apart in our opinions.

I said it’s fine to pay someone like Hanifin, let’s say, a 4 year deal if you have something cooking on the ice. Which, sadly, we don’t. So I’d rather just hit reset and get another haul.

The reluctance to hand out max term deals to ELC players because it’s too risky is hilarious precisely because of people like Brouwer and Neal (who is guaranteed to score 20 goals). There’s risk in both but at least with kids, they are still at their peak physically and can learn a few things.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 08:36 PM   #127
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa GM View Post
Jersey won’t part ways with Nemec. A retained Markstrom and signed Hanifin may return, Holtz + Casey + 2024 1st
If Jersey is getting a starting goalie and a top-4 D who scores 40 points with minimal powerplay time while never missing games, it’s gonna cost Nemec. Maybe not much more, but if they’re getting two, Calgary needs that one.

I doubt they part with Nemec but I’m so much more interested in a decade plus of him than another eight of Hanifin.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 08:36 PM   #128
Cortez
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hoping he signs. It’s fun thinking about the draft picks he could bring in but Hanifin is solid and still young. Good D to build your back end around.
But thinking he won’t sign if it’s taken him this long to decide
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 08:38 PM   #129
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
I really don’t think we are that far apart in our opinions.

I said it’s fine to pay someone like Hanifin, let’s say, a 4 year deal if you have something cooking on the ice. Which, sadly, we don’t. So I’d rather just hit reset and get another haul.

The reluctance to hand out max term deals to ELC players because it’s too risky is hilarious precisely because of people like Brouwer and Neal (who is guaranteed to score 20 goals). There’s risk in both but at least with kids, they are still at their peak physically and can learn a few things.
Yeah, I won’t be sad if he is traded but I’d be fine if he re-signs. A player like Hanifin will never sign a four year deal though. He’ll get 7 or 8 from whoever he ends up with and that’s just the market.
Old 02-06-2024, 08:43 PM   #130
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
If Jersey is getting a starting goalie and a top-4 D who scores 40 points with minimal powerplay time while never missing games, it’s gonna cost Nemec. Maybe not much more, but if they’re getting two, Calgary needs that one.

I doubt they part with Nemec but I’m so much more interested in a decade plus of him than another eight of Hanifin.
Nemec looks like he could be a true #1D. Markstrom and Hanifin won’t get that return. Players like Nemec don’t get traded especially for an older goalie and a guy about to be an UFA
Old 02-06-2024, 08:46 PM   #131
browntrout
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
No way the Devils trade Nemec. He has a legit shot at being a #1D

Perhaps, or you ask for Luke Hughes, new jersey has alot of young talent, they can afford to part with one, hanifin improves their D now, for the next 3 -4 years, plus a starting goaltender that they need. I don't think New Jersey benefits by having more 1st rounds, there opportunity to compete is getting close if not already here

I have heard Holtz mentioned, but Calgary needs a good prospect d-man
browntrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 08:49 PM   #132
browntrout
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntrout View Post
Perhaps, or you ask for Luke Hughes, new jersey has alot of young talent, they can afford to part with one, hanifin improves their D now, for the next 3 -4 years, plus a starting goaltender that they need. I don't think New Jersey benefits by having more 1st rounds, there opportunity to compete is getting close if not already here

I have heard Holtz mentioned, but Calgary needs a good prospect d-man
I would even retain 2 million on Markstrom, maybe squeeze a 2nd round pick out of them
Old 02-06-2024, 08:56 PM   #133
browntrout
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Nemec looks like he could be a true #1D. Markstrom and Hanifin won’t get that return. Players like Nemec don’t get traded especially for an older goalie and a guy about to be an UFA
You could be right....but look at what this give New Jersey, if they have Markstrom and Hanifin at the beginning of the year, I like their chances better of making the playoffs....if that is a consistent theme for they next 3-4 year, that is worth a young developing defence who won't be nearly as consistent as hanifin for at least the next 3-4 years. Yeah I get he is a high pick, but New Jersey has a deep talent pool to overcome

Hamilton, Hanifan, Hughes would still be a very solid blue line
Old 02-06-2024, 08:57 PM   #134
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

You aren’t getting Hughes or Nemec
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2024, 09:00 PM   #135
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’d keep Hanifin and trade Andersson. I feel like Andersson will return more and he’ll have a steeper regression because of fitness levels
I'm coming around to this way of thinking. They are both above average 2nd pair guys IMO but Hanifin might be better all around player.

Maybe this summer you can make the dreaded "hockey trade" with Rasmus. Although I'd miss that guy, he's a competitor.

Still you have to stay firm on contract talks with Hanifin. 8 years is a lot of term, so he has to bend a little to get that kind of security.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 09:05 PM   #136
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trade Hanifin now and then sign him in the off-season, because no one is offering him 8 x $7.5M IMO. Win-win.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 09:24 PM   #137
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
Trade Hanifin now and then sign him in the off-season, because no one is offering him 8 x $7.5M IMO. Win-win.
Hanifwin
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2024, 09:27 PM   #138
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do a sign and trade with the Bruins for an even bigger return. Tell Noah drink too much at a team function... then sign him to 8x7.5! If other teams (and I mean team, Edmonton) can take advantage of this loophole, then why can't we?
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 10:22 PM   #139
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Conroy imposing a Tre Tax on all Leafs/Flames transactions.
You gotta pay the tre toll if you wanna get into that boys soul.

TRE TOLL
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2024, 10:48 PM   #140
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

I think we'll see both Hanifin and Tanev in New Jersey by Thursday
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to calf For This Useful Post: