Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2022, 08:18 PM   #121
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
...so you're saying I shouldn't be currently looking at flights to Toronto to visit my buddy who recently moved there?

Would it greatly change things if I just brought a carry-on bag and avoided the complete gong show that is their baggage issues it seems, or is security really that bad that a personal trip there should currently be avoided at all costs, even with just a carry-on bag?

Glad I checked this thread first!
If you’re not connecting there it should be okay. Just arrive early for your departing flight as security is brutal, and assume your departure will be delayed unless it’s a morning flight. With Air Canada cancelling a ton of flights over the next two months things should improve.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2022, 11:32 PM   #122
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://calgaryherald.com/pmn/travel...f-ffd96c241b45

For travellers flying with Air Canada on Monday, the odds were their flight was delayed; 63 per cent of the carrier’s trips landed late, the most of any large airline across the globe, according to tracking service FlightAware.

Some 52 per cent of all flights out of Toronto’s Pearson airport were held up, more than any other airport in the Western Hemisphere, and No. 3 worldwide after Sydney and Frankfurt.

Travellers are owed up to $2,300 from airlines for costs incurred due to baggage delays or lost items under Canada’s passenger rights charter and the Montreal Convention, an international treaty.

“They may typically tell you that we are going to reimburse you only $100 or $250 for the first 48 hours, which is a lie,” said Gabor Lukacs, president of the Air Passenger Rights advocacy group.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 11:48 PM   #123
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was out camping with my friend who works for WestJet's lost baggage call center, and they said that before they left they had an entire day without connection shutlers at Pearson. And since the connection runners aren't airline specific, this meant no one had them.

The reason for the staff-shortage wasn't hiring, it was because everyone was out sick.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 06:47 AM   #124
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post
I was out camping with my friend who works for WestJet's lost baggage call center
Could not pay me enough to do that job right now.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 06:55 AM   #125
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

My daughter flew back to visit family in Montreal July 4. Initially the flight went almost exactly as schedule, until it hit the ground in Montreal where the plane sat loaded for 75 minutes because no staff was available to run out the walkway bridge thing.
Direct flights only right now. Connections raise complications exponentially right now.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 06:56 AM   #126
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I flew back into Pearson early Saturday and it was baggage chaos. Too many people for one, all with stupid carts, which I guess is normal, but the baggage was not coming into the turnstile it was supposed to. So randomly it would come in another flights turnstile. That’s purely avoidable. Maybe I’m out to lunch but that’s a performance issue. Secondly, is the job market really that amazing where airport workers, typically paid handsomely, can’t be hired? It seems like the higher ups haven’t approved budget or something and they’re blaming it on other conditions.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 07:41 AM   #127
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know of a reliable luggage delivery company? I think that many years ago Amex was partnered with a company but that doesn't appear to be available anymore. Fairmont Hotels offered a delivery service in the past as well. I'm thinking about possibly shipping my luggage to Florida for our August trip instead of relying on the people at Pearson to get my luggage on my connecting flight. I'm honestly getting really paranoid as more of these reports emerge.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 07:48 AM   #128
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Middle of vacation and dealing with Virtigo (which has become very mild overnight) so adding my personal experience. Booked in November, to fly to DC to visit family July 1- July 9. originally planned for 2021 and postponed till this year. When we booked months ago never thought there’d be any problems. Yyc- yql YQL- DCA. With 4 hour lay over in Toronto. Didn’t think much more until stories hit the news about a month ago. Left YyC at 6am on the first, got to YQL fine. Fires up the phone when landed and got message that yql- Dca was cancelled “due to weather” and we’d get a follow up notification. Follow up booked us to fly out Sunday, 52hr layover. Went to AC connections counter, line was about an hour long and got flight switched to Dulles and our luggage would be switched there as well…..

Stared off towards the the gate and US Customs. Passed through security fairly quickly and then to customs. US Customs was a complete joke. Three agents open for all US connections. We got into a short line, which just grew and grew grew. Made it through in about an hour and a half but the line had to be twice as long by then. Head to gates where EVERY US bound flight has been delayed, many passengers stuck in customs.

Boarded and landed in Dulles, TBC.
Old 07-06-2022, 07:49 AM   #129
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Does anyone know of a reliable luggage delivery company? I think that many years ago Amex was partnered with a company but that doesn't appear to be available anymore. Fairmont Hotels offered a delivery service in the past as well. I'm thinking about possibly shipping my luggage to Florida for our August trip instead of relying on the people at Pearson to get my luggage on my connecting flight. I'm honestly getting really paranoid as more of these reports emerge.
If it’s a direct flight I wouldn’t worry. If it’s a connecting flight there’s a slight concern. Anyway, I wouldn’t personally spend money on shipping stuff, because I’m sure the reports are sensationalized a bit. The odds are small you’ll have your stuff lost imo.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:12 AM   #130
SilverKast
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Had my trip to NYC a couple of weeks ago, originally booked from YYC with a connecting flight through Toronto with Air Canada on the way there and back. A week before the flights Air Canada cancelled the return flight from NYC to Toronto, so I instead cancelled it all and booked direct flights with Westjet.

Arrived at YYC three hours early and got through security and customs in about 20 minutes (was around 8am) so that was easy. Had flight delays both ways though, but luggage was a nonissue with either the flight there or the return as it seemed about normal wait times. Customs on return was also very fast, although was around midnight.

Seems like as long as it's a direct flight to your destination you should be fine, I'd definitely avoid connecting flights though if possible - especially through Toronto. I did see a lot of people missing connecting flights due to delays though. I was initially pretty worried about connecting through Toronto with any luggage and was going to do carry on, but the direct flight with checked luggage worked out to be a nonissue.

I have an upcoming flight to Ottawa, but I'll probably just do carry on as it's only for a few days. Hopefully security is as easy as last time.
SilverKast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:41 AM   #131
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
If it’s a direct flight I wouldn’t worry. If it’s a connecting flight there’s a slight concern. Anyway, I wouldn’t personally spend money on shipping stuff, because I’m sure the reports are sensationalized a bit. The odds are small you’ll have your stuff lost imo.
It is a connection in Toronto going down to Miami. We will pack three or so days worth of clothes each in our carry-on and we are cruising so they have laundry service in a worst case scenario.

I guess the other potentially good thing is that Amex has $1000 baggage delay insurance in case our suitcase goes missing and doesn't get to us in time for the cruise. We could hit up a mall and purchase a few extra pairs of shorts and shirts for everyone. I've used Amex insurance before for a claim and they are pretty good so that is comforting.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 07-06-2022 at 09:58 AM.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 09:50 AM   #132
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I just flew to San Antonio and back and lost my luggage in both directions. So maybe sensationalized, but not by my experience.

What a trip that was, though. Due to cancellations and delays I flew all over the continent to eventually get to my final destination. Happy to say that Security at all of Mtl, Newark, SA and Denver were all pretty quick. It was just the airlines that were a mess. Thanks AC.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 09:55 AM   #133
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Another issue is that due to all of these luggage problems, more people are travelling carry-on only which means that there is not enough space in the bins for everything. This means an additional 15-20 minutes of people scrambling to find space for their bag after boarding. Inevitably after being unable to find space there are a bunch of bags to be gate-checked which adds another 10 minutes or so.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2022, 09:58 AM   #134
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
Another issue is that due to all of these luggage problems, more people are travelling carry-on only which means that there is not enough space in the bins for everything. This means an additional 15-20 minutes of people scrambling to find space for their bag after boarding. Inevitably after being unable to find space there are a bunch of bags to be gate-checked which adds another 10 minutes or so.
No the bigger issue is not enforcing the size and number of carry on bags. I can't recall the last time I saw someone with a 30-40L ruck asked to put it in the sizing thingy at the desk. Essentially if you can "carry it" they seem to allow it on. Also, a carry on and a large backpack should be a no go. A carry on and a bag that easily fits under your seat all good.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
V
Old 07-06-2022, 10:08 AM   #135
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
No the bigger issue is not enforcing the size and number of carry on bags. I can't recall the last time I saw someone with a 30-40L ruck asked to put it in the sizing thingy at the desk. Essentially if you can "carry it" they seem to allow it on. Also, a carry on and a large backpack should be a no go. A carry on and a bag that easily fits under your seat all good.
That too - there was a guy with a freaking guitar on my AC flight from YYZ.

I feel like the gate agents are overwhelmed to the point where they don't have time to enforce carry-on sizes. I actually like the way they charge for carry-on bags on Flair and Lynx - makes the boarding process go much smoother.
Old 07-06-2022, 11:00 AM   #136
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flight delayed several times out of YYC to YVR yesterday. I think at this point we basically just have to assume that that comes with the process as it stands and be prepared... thank goodness for the Steam Deck.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2022, 12:17 PM   #137
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Middle of vacation and dealing with Virtigo (which has become very mild overnight) so adding my personal experience. Booked in November, to fly to DC to visit family July 1- July 9. originally planned for 2021 and postponed till this year. When we booked months ago never thought there’d be any problems. Yyc- yql YQL- DCA. With 4 hour lay over in Toronto. Didn’t think much more until stories hit the news about a month ago. Left YyC at 6am on the first, got to YQL fine. Fires up the phone when landed and got message that yql- Dca was cancelled “due to weather” and we’d get a follow up notification. Follow up booked us to fly out Sunday, 52hr layover. Went to AC connections counter, line was about an hour long and got flight switched to Dulles and our luggage would be switched there as well…..
Can't resist.....

I'm surprised that there would be a delay on the Lethbridge-DCA non stop!!! Actually I was not aware anyone even flew that route non stop....
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 12:31 PM   #138
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could actually get on board with turning the luggage traditions upside down for domestic flights.

- Charge a small fee for carry-on suitcases.
- The smaller, under the seat personal item still free.
- Free 1st checked bag.

The carry-on suitcases give a tangible benefit to the efficient traveller, and cabin space is scarce. Meanwhile the checked bag folks are currently paying in time, risk, AND cash for the privilege of waiting at the baggage carousel. It seems backwards.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2022, 01:28 PM   #139
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I could actually get on board with turning the luggage traditions upside down for domestic flights.

- Charge a small fee for carry-on suitcases.
- The smaller, under the seat personal item still free.
- Free 1st checked bag.

The carry-on suitcases give a tangible benefit to the efficient traveller, and cabin space is scarce. Meanwhile the checked bag folks are currently paying in time, risk, AND cash for the privilege of waiting at the baggage carousel. It seems backwards.
You have to pay people to handle the checked bag vs filling empty space on plane.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 02:33 PM   #140
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Given current events, this maybe considered a hoax:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...service.html#/
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote