Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2021, 01:12 PM   #121
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Drivers who are going 70 at the point of merging after long ass on-ramps onto Deerfoot need to have their licenses taken away.
When I come to power, vehicles will be fitted with bombs just like the movie speed. GPS activated when you enter Deerfoot. Speed drops below 90, boom, you're gone
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 02:46 PM   #122
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of the 17 Ave interchange, it's interesting to note that both loop ramps are being eliminated and the interchange will be worse. This is to make way for braided ramps which eliminate the nasty weaves in both directions between Memorial and 17 Ave. Looking at the map, I can't figure out exactly why the northbound to westbound ramp needs to be deleted. Overall this is a win as Deerfoot flow is more important than 17 Ave, and thankfully we have money for braids on both sides in phase 1. This design is not final, so there's a chance the loop stays.

Spoiler!
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2021, 02:58 PM   #123
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Everyone will be getting a little bit of help but the money is heavily skewed to the south, mostly for twinning Ivor Strong and other bridges at Southland, Bow Bottom and Glenmore. Money is like 85% for the south.
Is that for the 400 million or for the 3 billion?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 03:45 PM   #124
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Is that for the 400 million or for the 3 billion?
That's the $400M. That is the tentative plan for work beginning next fall - all the maps are on https://www.deerfootimprovements.ca/
GGG
Old 10-12-2021, 04:05 PM   #125
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Thanks for the link Acey! Looks like the usual suspects seen in the last few Alberta P3 road projects for the bidder groups. Good luck to them - the timelines sounded unpleasant.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2021, 05:17 PM   #126
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's probably silly for myriad reasons (like $$), but I've often wondered if we wouldn't be better off adding a brand new N-S toll freeway with a dedicated ROW into downtown (between 9 and 11 Ave SE)...instead of the expense and looooong headaches of putting lipstick on Deerfoot.

North would follow the CP tracks across the Bow River and then Nose Creek up to Airport Trail (with an entrance and exit at 16th Ave). A lot of the length could be surface level. You could theoretically add a rail-line for regional passenger rail, too, but in the mean time an express bus for the airport would be plenty nice.

South could follow green-line ROW for the most part, and in my sim-city fantasy it would be built to include BRT stations instead of rail. A 4 lane freeway wouldn't be that much wider than the green line, so the scope and elevated segements wouldn't be that different (though to achieve 100kph it might be tough). Obviously integrating pedestrian-friendly transit with a free-way would be the challenge, but I don't think current Green-line design will be very effective, anyways.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 05:59 PM   #127
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
It's probably silly for myriad reasons (like $$), but I've often wondered if we wouldn't be better off adding a brand new N-S toll freeway with a dedicated ROW into downtown (between 9 and 11 Ave SE)...instead of the expense and looooong headaches of putting lipstick on Deerfoot.

North would follow the CP tracks across the Bow River and then Nose Creek up to Airport Trail (with an entrance and exit at 16th Ave). A lot of the length could be surface level. You could theoretically add a rail-line for regional passenger rail, too, but in the mean time an express bus for the airport would be plenty nice.

South could follow green-line ROW for the most part, and in my sim-city fantasy it would be built to include BRT stations instead of rail. A 4 lane freeway wouldn't be that much wider than the green line, so the scope and elevated segements wouldn't be that different (though to achieve 100kph it might be tough). Obviously integrating pedestrian-friendly transit with a free-way would be the challenge, but I don't think current Green-line design will be very effective, anyways.
This is a horrible idea. Please never speak of it again.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2021, 09:37 PM   #128
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah that's just horri-bad, and would just run into so many NIMBY issues you just wouldn't even spend any brain power thinking about it. The most we could hope for is an HOV/toll lane up the Deerfoot median, which was analyzed during the study. There's just no shot you're building an elevated inner-city freeway in 2021. No shot.
Old 10-13-2021, 05:45 AM   #129
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
When I come to power, vehicles will be fitted with bombs just like the movie speed. GPS activated when you enter Deerfoot. Speed drops below 90, boom, you're gone
I’m just hoping you’re on the ballot when I go vote on Monday!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 06:56 AM   #130
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 10:30 AM   #131
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:

I hope this wasn’t a serious post.

No, just no.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:52 AM   #132
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I'm a massive car enthusiast and even I don't want that.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:23 AM   #133
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:

Money is the least of the problems with this post. Please don't bring us back into the 1950s era of Calgary planning which had insane ideas like moving the train tracks to the river and building a highway through the middle of downtown.

Car-focused planning was the death knell of North American cities. Roads, individuals in cars, and parking lots are the least efficient and most desolate use of space.

Cities like Vancouver and Seattle are just now ripping out their elevated concrete highways from the 60s as they realized they acted like giant Berlin walls separating halves of their cities and created desolate places of crime and poverty beneath them.

For a microcosm of that, look at what's happening to the Victoria Park station being moved to grade instead of the original design that created a concrete mess of bridges, ramps, and isolation because the priority then was moving as many cars as possible down MacLeod.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 10-13-2021 at 12:16 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 11:42 AM   #134
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The single greatest decision Calgary ever made was not building The Penetrator(great name, BTW). Imagine how it would have destroyed that section of downtown. Powderjunkie's idea reminded me of that type of thinking.

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/c...81745560293654
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 11:55 AM   #135
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The single greatest decision Calgary ever made was not building The Penetrator(great name, BTW). Imagine how it would have destroyed that section of downtown. Powderjunkie's idea reminded me of that type of thinking.

What about moving new high capacity roads to tunnels? Buy one tunnel boring machine, and just keep operating it. Use it for the green line, other ctrain lines, and also for a downtown express toll road.

Plus we could call it the "Penetrator Down Below."
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:57 AM   #136
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The ground under downtown isn't really great for tunneling. They are also incredibly expensive. I don't think just buying a machine then means cheap tunnels everywhere.
Old 10-13-2021, 12:35 PM   #137
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

You need a different sized TBM for every sized project you try to build.

Also, the cost of the machine isn’t the big cost. The cost of setting it up and operating it is the big cost.
Old 10-13-2021, 12:38 PM   #138
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
The ground under downtown isn't really great for tunneling. They are also incredibly expensive. I don't think just buying a machine then means cheap tunnels everywhere.
The main controversy over the greenline has been tunnelling and the costs which are like 10-20 times the cost of trenching. Even the airport tunnel has been a ton of drama and arguing over cost. The greenline tunnel under the river has been completely scrapped now.

The city is currently embroiled in expensive underground utility mapping and surveying projects to even embark on the greenline build along 11th avenue.

The only reason the C-Train tunnels exist past City Hall is planning in the 70s which ensured no utilities were placed there. Tunnelling under Stephen Ave and other things have cropped up over the years but it would be an incredible expense to ensure it's done safely and to relocate all the gas, water, electrical mains and the web of complexities under most of downtown.

There are still underground tunnels and an unused station under City Hall.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 01:20 PM   #139
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's also a good thing we avoided the 24th Avenue Trans Canada Highway that would've killed the North Hill communities. As well likely Edworthy Park.

Plans for both the TCH and Downtown Penetrator are at this site: http://albertaroads.homestead.com/Ca...ans/index.html

Ideally a proper TCH bypass will be built in the future going along 22X from the east, to the southern portion of the ring road up to COP/16th in the NW.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 01:44 PM   #140
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
For a microcosm of that, look at what's happening to the Victoria Park station being moved to grade instead of the original design that created a concrete mess of bridges, ramps, and isolation because the priority then was moving as many cars as possible down MacLeod.
I don't think moving cars down Macleod Trail figured into anything. The stations were simply designed as was the thinking at the time.