Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2020, 02:33 PM   #121
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Did Johnny hit a wall too then? Come on, players have down years.
OEL is a top pair Dman. I'd rather Tre got him that another slug like Hamonic.

And since we are about to be short on D, what do you suggest? Id suggest Hedman, but wouldnt you know it, another over the hill player.
What exactly is it about OEL's play that makes you think he's a top pairing defensman? What makes him better than what we already have on the left side? Because acquiring him would also mean making room for him. We already have Gio, Hanifin, Valimaki, and Kylington.

OEL is not even close to the level of player Hedman is.

Im genuinely curious- you think acquiring OEL would make the team better, but I have yet to see a reasonable argument how. How does he make the Flames better moving forward? What is it about his play? What is so good about him that is worth not only giving up assets, but also taking on such a massive risk of a contract?
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2020, 02:36 PM   #122
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I'm pretty sure they are bankrupt right now.
Insolvent perhaps, but not bankrupt.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2020, 02:38 PM   #123
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think this is the only way I satisfy all the rumors we've heard and keep dignity in this trade:

Oel+kuemper+halls rights for Giordano+rittich+ryan+1st 2020

Then the flames sign Hall and execute a gaudreau trade that includes a replacement 1st.

Hall-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane
Lucic-Bennett-Dube
Pelletier-gawdin-reider

Oel-Andersson
Hanifin-kylington
Valimaki-yelesin

Kuemper
?
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 02:39 PM   #124
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think OEL is the guy we should go after. Creates issues for expansion draft unless Hanifin was involved in the trade. But I do think too many posters on here saying it ridiculous to consider and he's grossly over paid are exaggerating how little interest we should have in him.

15 goal 45 point dman with a poor plus minus doesnt equal $8.25 mil for sure but he also has played his entire career on a team that has had a serious issue with top end scoring forwards to play with. Also played for some boring defensive style coaches. Imo he isn't that overpaid and could be a steal if you put him on a pp with our forwards.

I say we should pass on him but if the cost to get him is cheap or unwanted salary goes back. Could make sense.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 02:42 PM   #125
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's only a 'steal' if he becomes Hedman-good. And there is very little chance of that.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 02:49 PM   #126
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I won't share the charts here because they are behind a paywall, but if you subscribe to Evolving Hockey just take a look at OEL's RAPM chart compared to Hedman's.

Hedman provides an elite boost to Tampa's offence when he is on the ice and also provides solid defence and possession.

OEL on the other hand basically drags the Coyotes down in every category. A sign that he shouldn't be on the top pairing.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2020, 02:50 PM   #127
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
I won't share the charts here because they are behind a paywall, but if you subscribe to Evolving Hockey just take a look at OEL's RAPM chart compared to Hedman's.

Hedman provides an elite boost to Tampa's offence when he is on the ice and also provides solid defence and possession.

OEL on the other hand basically drags the Coyotes down in every category. A sign that he shouldn't be on the top pairing.
Hopefully Snow quashes any discussion for OEL.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2020, 02:53 PM   #128
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Hopefully Snow quashes any discussion for OEL.
For all I know OEL could come to Calgary and thrive in a more sheltered role on the second pairing and genuinely help the team, but I have no idea how you justify that contribution at an $8.25 million price tag when Hanifin is providing basically the exact same thing for $4.9 and has potential to get better.

Not even considering giving up assets. It just doesn't make sense unless there is much more to it.
Old 09-11-2020, 03:01 PM   #129
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I still think this is the only way I satisfy all the rumors we've heard and keep dignity in this trade:

Oel+kuemper+halls rights for Giordano+rittich+ryan+1st 2020

Then the flames sign Hall and execute a gaudreau trade that includes a replacement 1st.

Hall-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane
Lucic-Bennett-Dube
Pelletier-gawdin-reider

Oel-Andersson
Hanifin-kylington
Valimaki-yelesin

Kuemper
?
I feel this only works if Gio is routed to a 3rd team for salary relief and futures.

I could see the Leafs trading their 1st if they could get Gio. The Habs maybe move multiple 2nds?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 03:03 PM   #130
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I feel this only works if Gio is routed to a 3rd team for salary relief and futures.

I could see the Leafs trading their 1st if they could get Gio. The Habs maybe move multiple 2nds?
Didn't the Leafs just trade out a player to acquire that first and create cap space? I can't see them undoing that for an even bigger cap headache.
Old 09-11-2020, 03:06 PM   #131
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Didn't the Leafs just trade out a player to acquire that first and create cap space? I can't see them undoing that for an even bigger cap headache.
I thought I read they were willing to move that 1st?

They need to rebuild their blueline and also need to win very soon so I could see Gio being of interest
Old 09-11-2020, 03:07 PM   #132
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

They need to rebuild their blueline and also need to win very soon so I could see Gio being of interest
They will just sign Brodie for free for a lower cap hit than Gio
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 03:08 PM   #133
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm sure they'd be willing to move the 1st, but that's a lot to give up for Giordano when you could have Brodie for free as a free agent who will cost significantly less.
Old 09-11-2020, 03:10 PM   #134
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
They will just sign Brodie for free for a lower cap hit than Gio
They might.

My overall point though is if Gio is in a deal for OEL I don’t see him ending up in Arizona. I only can see it in a 3 way deal. Even then I highly doubt Gio would be the guy moving.
Old 09-11-2020, 03:27 PM   #135
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
New strategy: build the best looking team.

1) it should be easy, as no other teams (to my knowledge) are competing in that space, and

2) at least half the fanbase will be happy, which is more than they are achieving now
Welcome to the Flames, Henrik Lundqvist!
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2020, 03:33 PM   #136
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The more I think about this there is really only 1 scenario where I see this as being realistic:

1. Treliving believes OEL's decline is entirely due to playing under Tocchet and has nothing to do with age. He also thinks we can acquire him for cheap.
2. The plan is to bring in OEL and then move on from Gio while hopefully recouping some futures in the process. Tkachuk gets the C.

Hall - Bennett - Lindholm
Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk
Mangiapane - Backlund - Dube
Lucic - Gawdin - Rieder

Hanifin - Andersson
OEL - Demelo
Valimaki - Kylington

Kuemper
Rittich

That probably doesn't work cap wise, but something along those lines with retained salary and maybe moving on from one or two of those guys if needed. Not saying that's what I want to see, but I could see Treliving thinking that way given his past experience with OEL.

Last edited by bax; 09-11-2020 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-11-2020, 03:44 PM   #137
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Lou doing a big time sell job on OEL right now on 960.

Scary times
He did a big time sell job on Lazar too. I am not enthused about OEL with that age and contract. It seems sports management (and outsiders) are very adept at talking themselves into narratives about players based on ... non (current) skills related attributes.

They need to look at their pro scouting history - what did they get wrong and why?

In fact they need to look at this root analysis in all scouting (everything really).

I don't want change just so you can say you changed something. Improve the team but be very clear in your decision making process and what data you value the most.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 03:47 PM   #138
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
He did a big time sell job on Lazar too. I am not enthused about OEL with that age and contract. It seems sports management (and outsiders) are very adept at talking themselves into narratives about players based on ... non (current) skills related attributes.

They need to look at their pro scouting history - what did they get wrong and why?

In fact they need to look at this root analysis in all scouting (everything really).

I don't want change just so you can say you changed something. Improve the team but be very clear in your decision making process and what data you value the most.
Very many people involved in pro sports management are very bad at their jobs.
Old 09-11-2020, 03:47 PM   #139
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post
OEL still has long term Nik Lidstrom potential through the duration of his contract. He just needs a change.
Sure, and Andersson will be Bobby Orr.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 03:50 PM   #140
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, the general consensus is that this is a bad idea, then?