Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who should start game one?
Rittich 130 40.25%
Talbot 193 59.75%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-27-2020, 04:11 PM   #121
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Can the Flames sign Byfuglien?

Unless you want to put the 400 pound tub of goo in nets, that’s a big no from me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:12 PM   #122
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

It will be interesting to see who the bottom 3-4 forwards will be. Does Bennett elevate to the top 6 when he beasts for the playoffs? The top 5 forwards are set with Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Tkachuk, Backlund. Ryan, Lucic, Bennett, Mangipane are locks. I think Dube is in bit the other 2 spots are definitely up for grabs
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:15 PM   #123
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Lucic - Ryan - Dube has been such a good line since being put together. I think Bennett and Mangi probably get swapped between the 2nd and 4th lines as necessary.

But if Mangi plays as well as he was before the pause, I think Bennett plays on the 4th with Janko and Rinaldo... but you try and double shift one of Tkachuk, Gaudreau, or Lindholm in Rinaldo's spot as needed to get the 4th line more icetime.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:20 PM   #124
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1263941459348197376
Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lanny'sDaMan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2020, 04:21 PM   #125
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
...Does this 3+ month layoff mean the team is going to bounce back in a positive way with the pandemic acting as an unofficial offseason?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2020, 04:35 PM   #126
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I wonder if they've thought about playing just a little crowd noise during games to help the players psyche? May help cover up some of the non-family friendly discussions on the ice when things actually ramp up. NHL White NoiseTM
Rollin22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:43 PM   #127
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
So, no home playoff games to attend, no red mile or potential parade because of Covid-19. The only thing I like about it is that we get a higher pick or lottery pick if the Flames lose the “play in” series. The top two picks look really good.
No draft lottery party

Says Edmonton.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:50 PM   #128
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin22x View Post
I wonder if they've thought about playing just a little crowd noise during games to help the players psyche? May help cover up some of the non-family friendly discussions on the ice when things actually ramp up. NHL White NoiseTM
I thought the same thing. Apparently the soccer games in Germany they simulated crowd noise, and it didn't sound too bad.

I think it might help get the players going a bit more than just a quiet, empty arena.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2020, 04:55 PM   #129
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I think so. Teams are only allowed to recall four guys after the trade deadline. But the Flames will have their collection of black aces on hand who I believe they'll be able to recall on an emergency basis during the playoffs. Correct me if I'm wrong on that, anybody.

Of course, the NHL implementing 28-skater rosters for the playoffs may change things entirely
Under normal circumstances:
You're allowed a total of 4 regular recalls between the trade deadline and the end of the regular season.

Between the end of the NHL regular season and the end of the season for the team's AHL affiliate, a team is allowed to have a maximum of 3 post-deadline regular call-ups on its roster (unless the team had 4 when the season ended -- you can keep those 4), but there is no limit as to the number of recalls/demotions that you can make, so long as the total number of players in the NHL doesn't exceed 3.

Once the affiliate's season comes to an end, the NHL team can have an unlimited number of AHLers on the roster (these are your Black Aces).

There are no limits to the number of Emergency recalls a team can make, so long as emergency conditions apply.

----------

All of the same restrictions apply to signed players who were returned to their junior teams, except there are no "regular recalls" for junior players.
----------

All of those things apply when things are normal. When play resumes, things won't be normal, although it has been reported that all roster rules will still apply.

Since the CHL and AHL will not resume their seasons before the NHL awards the Stanley Cup, the rules that apply after a player's AHL/CHL team's season has ended should be the ones that apply, (i.e., there will be no limitations for roster size or player eligibility as long as the player was on the team's reserve list at the deadline and has been signed to a SPC for the 2019-20 season).

I believe this should mean that the Flames could have Pelletier or Zavgorodniy available for the resumption of play, but Pettersen or Wolf aren't eligible because they signed contracts that start in 2020. The college free agents the Flames recently signed would also not be eligible because they weren't on the Flames' reserve list at the deadline. Any AHL/ECHL player signed to an NHL contract for 2019-20 should also be available.

----------

Yesterday, Friedman mentioned that there was going to be a 28 skater limit per team (with unlimited goalies), but I saw a tweet this morning (I believe it was quoting Columbus's GM) saying there won't be any limit other than the 50 person per team limit. If true, teams will be able to use those 50 spots as they see fit. That would allow teams to minimize their coaching and off-ice staff in isolation with the team to maximize their available players.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:07 PM   #130
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not that he would be needed but I wonder if Carl-Johan Lerby is now eligible to join the Flames too? (four SHL seasons under his belt)

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/carl-johan-lerby
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:31 PM   #131
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin22x View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I thought the same thing. Apparently the soccer games in Germany they simulated crowd noise, and it didn't sound too bad.

I think it might help get the players going a bit more than just a quiet, empty arena.
They have apparently discussed the possibility of pumping in music during play to cover the language and give the empty arenas some energy. I think I'd prefer music to fake crowd noise.

If every team is going to play 2 exhibition games prior to official resumption of play, this would give them a chance to experiment with a few things before the games start to count for real, including arena noise and camera angles.

I saw that one of the German soccer teams put cardboard cutouts of their fans in the seats of their stadium (they even put STH's in their regular seats). With multiple games per day in each arena, that would be tough for the NHL to do, but it would be cool to see a virtual C of Red vs a virtual White Out.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:35 PM   #132
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

The way the NHL chooses music acts for most of their events, I cringe at what they’d pick to play during a game.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2020, 05:36 PM   #133
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I expect a rotating playlist of Simple Plan, Evanescence, and Dierks Bentley.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2020, 05:46 PM   #134
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Everybody clap your hands!" for 20 minutes straight.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:48 PM   #135
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the Edmonton series they should just keep Chelsea Dagger on repeat.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2020, 05:53 PM   #136
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
In the Edmonton series they should just keep Chelsea Dagger on repeat.
Let's hope the Blackhawks ensure they do.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:16 PM   #137
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I think this will be a very close series. I think I like the Flames here though. It’s not unfathomable that the Jets could win though.

Really comes down for me as to what kind of Gaudreau and Monahan we get. The type that care or not. Never really know I guess.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:23 PM   #138
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I think this will be a very close series. I think I like the Flames here though. It’s not unfathomable that the Jets could win though.

Really comes down for me as to what kind of Gaudreau and Monahan we get. The type that care or not. Never really know I guess.
Gaudreau has never come across as a player that doesn't care to me. If anything I think he lets his frustrations get to him too much. That much has been really visible the last several years.

I'd put him at the polar opposite end of the spectrum from Dougie Hamilton when it comes to caring about the outcome of hockey games.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2020, 08:49 PM   #139
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I am not sure what you are talking about here. Did the league pass a no scrums, no fighting rule I am unaware of?
Friedmann mentions this in this week's 31 thoughts. (see thought 10)

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...offs-proposal/
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:06 PM   #140
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
Not that he would be needed but I wonder if Carl-Johan Lerby is now eligible to join the Flames too? (four SHL seasons under his belt)

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/carl-johan-lerby
I think the NHL will make a ruling on guys like Lerby, technically speaking he was under contract this season and on the teams reserve list; but he was on loan to a European club so I think it is definitely a gray area
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post: