Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2018, 11:15 AM   #121
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
5 goals in 59 NHL games and slotting him in the top line? He has to make the team.
I think if you can play on last year's stacked Bruins squad, you can play anywhere. Not to mention that team had way more right hand shot forward depth (Pastrnak, Bergeron, Krejci, Backes, Nash) than we've had since the good old Iggy days.

I expect our lines to be more fluid than anything as that is something Peters is known for. Don't expect Glen Gulutzan's square peg round hole for 30 games approach.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:16 AM   #122
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
lol. It wouldn't even be as small a team as Tampa, who only lost to the Capitals because of scrubs like Dan Girardi on their blue line coughing up pucks and getting walked.

Kucherov - 5'10"
Point - 5'10"
Johnson - 5'9"
Stralman - 5'11"
Gourde - 5'9"

And with Tkachuk, Bennett, Jankowski, Monahan we would still have some big bodies to crash the net - moreso than that Lightning squad even.

I personally hope this rumour becomes news asap. Czarnik was my #2 target heading into the offseason after Kovalchuk so this would be Tre's best July 1 of his career.
Tampa regularly plays 4-d men bigger (Average 220+) than the Flames big guy (Stone) so there's that.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:16 AM   #123
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Haha. I don't think GranteedEV actually makes the lines. He's just saying he hopes the guy does well enough in camp to get put there. It would be a huge bonus for this franchise to have a young guy step up like that on near entry level money.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2018, 11:18 AM   #124
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Duha on how the lines might break down:
https://theathletic.com/415600/2018/...nd-derek-ryan/

Quote:
But as it stands now, projecting the lineup going forward, there are many possible options he can try in training camp. For a couple of weeks, it’s been speculated that they might try Matthew Tkachuk on the top line with Gaudreau and Monahan. That’s still a possibility but then it would require one of the newbies – Lindholm or Czarnik – to switch to his off wing. Doesn’t make sense. If Czarnik gets an audition on the top line, the Flames could potentially slip Sam Bennett into Tkachuk’s usual spot with Mikael Backlund and Michal Frolik, which would allow them then to play Tkachuk and Lindholm on a line with Mark Jankowski, thus developing a more balanced scoring look up front.

Of course, Tkachuk could stay in his spot on the Backlund line, Lindholm could slot in at right wing on the top line, and that would leave Jankowski to center Bennett and Czarnik. That might work, too. If Ryan anchors the fourth line, his wingers will likely come from among Curtis Lazar, Spencer Foo, Andrew Mangiapane or Troy Brouwer. Overall, it looks like a far stronger collection of forwards than they had when the season ended.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2018, 11:23 AM   #125
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Eric Duhatschek @eduhatschek
Thanks Derek, much appreciated. Every bit of intel I've gathered on Czarnik suggests he is a gamble worth taking.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:24 AM   #126
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Haha. I don't think GranteedEV actually makes the lines. He's just saying he hopes the guy does well enough in camp to get put there. It would be a huge bonus for this franchise to have a young guy step up like that on near entry level money.
To clarify, if I'm "slotting" anyone on the top line it's not because I think they're a #1RW, but because lines are constructed based on stylistic fits rather than past scoring history. I'd be open to trying just about anybody - Jankowski, Mangiapane, Czarnik, Lindholm, Foo on the Gaudreau line until there was a fit because to me that matters more than whether a guy scored 20 goals. Frolik is a 20 goal scorer and he has never shown a fit with those guys for instance, and I think Bennett has negative chemistry with Monahan. Tkachuk on the first line makes zero sense to me as that's just cannibalizing our depth - even if he were to be our best winger by the end of the year.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2018, 11:26 AM   #127
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
To clarify, if I'm "slotting" anyone on the top line it's not because I think they're a #1RW, but because lines are constructed based on stylistic fits rather than past scoring history. I'd be open to trying just about anybody - Jankowski, Mangiapane, Czarnik, Lindholm, Foo on the Gaudreau line until there was a fit because to me that matters more than whether a guy scored 20 goals. Frolik is a 20 goal scorer and he has never shown a fit with those guys for instance, and I think Bennett has negative chemistry with Monahan. Tkachuk on the first line makes zero sense to me as that's just cannibalizing our depth - even if he were to be our best winger by the end of the year.
100% agree

It's about balancing lines and improving depth and success rates when rolling those lines. I really hope to see one of Foo or Czarnik win that top line RW spot and piggy back their way to at least a 20g/40p season.

If not, oh well. It was worth the gamble and maybe they catch on another line or possibly even end up in Stockton.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:28 AM   #128
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Very exciting to add a young right-shot with potential like this.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:29 AM   #129
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
On the surface, it looks like a good signing. Adds some immediate depth to the organization in an area of need. A little concerned about the player’s size.

In the big picture I wonder if this type of signing is going to hurt long term. One of the biggest knocks against the Calgary Flames is opportunity for young players.
On the surface this seems like a great signing so now I'm going to invent some reasons as to why it's actually a negative.

Your shtick gets old.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2018, 11:30 AM   #130
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Panther fans would have penciled Marchessault onto one of their top two line RW spots after his 2015/16 season with Tampa/Syracuse people would have scoffed at that too.

All he needed was an opportunity with good players, and he potted 30g/51p and the rest is history.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:31 AM   #131
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Austin Czarnik
@ACzarnik7
Thank you Boston for a great 3 years! Excited for a new beginning with the Calgary Flames organization!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2018, 11:31 AM   #132
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

and now that tweet is deleted. i tried liking it and its gone.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:32 AM   #133
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
and now that tweet is deleted. i tried liking it and its gone.
https://twitter.com/ACzarnik7/status...74948793413633
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:33 AM   #134
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bruins fans gonna miss him/feel like losing him might come back to bite them.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:00 PM   #135
3rd Degree
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Is he an RFA or UFA at the end of his contract?
3rd Degree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:08 PM   #136
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Degree View Post
Is he an RFA or UFA at the end of his contract?
Why do people keep asking this? UFAs never become RFAs. It is a contract status that once achieved is never lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:19 PM   #137
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why do people keep asking this? UFAs never become RFAs. It is a contract status that once achieved is never lost.
That's not true. Devante Smith-Pelly is a perfect example. Anaheim didn't qualify him after his ELC and he became a UFA. After two trades, he ended up in New Jersey and was re-signed as an RFA. Then, he was bought out by the Devils last year and became a UFA again, signing with the Caps. Once again, he would have been an RFA if Washington had qualified him this year.

Czarnik will be a UFA at the end of this contract because he will be 27 when it ends.

Last edited by getbak; 07-01-2018 at 12:22 PM.
getbak is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to getbak For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2018, 12:55 PM   #138
3rd Degree
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
If you’re going to be arrogant at least be right.
3rd Degree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to 3rd Degree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2018, 01:01 PM   #139
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
On the surface this seems like a great signing so now I'm going to invent some reasons as to why it's actually a negative.

Your shtick gets old.
The ignore feature is your friend.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:14 PM   #140
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Mmm... you might wanna do a bit more research
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote