Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2016, 10:25 AM   #121
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brian Eno shares Bowie's final email.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/01/brian...nal-email.html

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2016, 12:19 PM   #122
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
I'm going to throw Lennon into the mix. To me, Lennon occupies a pedestal all by himself in British rock because him and the Beatles started it all. His unfortunate death at his prime only helps solidify it.

Anyone thinks Bowie should rank alongside Lennon?
I think Bowie is unique as his influence was not really musical as much as cultural, musically Bowie was not groundbreaking, he couldn't be as he was a performer rather than musician, what he did was take styles and influences and make them accessible to other artists, as well as the public.
Without him Kraftwork and Eno where still doing groundbreaking synthesizer work, but Bowie translated it to a post punk audience that then threw up Depeche mode and heaven 17, Gary Numan and ultimately Nine Inch Nails.
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2016, 12:28 PM   #123
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Elvis Costello? Rod Stewart? Kate Bush? Eric Clapton?
I'd throw Nick Lowe in there, although he's never had the commercial success of the others. Eno obviously.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:42 PM   #124
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Without him Kraftwork and Eno where still doing groundbreaking synthesizer work, but Bowie translated it to a post punk audience that then threw up Depeche mode and heaven 17, Gary Numan and ultimately Nine Inch Nails.
Maybe Bowie is the Andy Warhol of the music world. He was a generation before me so when I got in touch with his music, it was already mid to late 80s. But I detected traces of Bowie in the bands of my time such as Depeche Mode, Joy Division/New Order, Suede just to name a few.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:00 PM   #125
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe Bowie is the Andy Warhol of the music world. He was a generation before me so when I got in touch with his music, it was already mid to late 80s. But I detected traces of Bowie in the bands of my time such as Depeche Mode, Joy Division/New Order, Suede just to name a few.
In some ways I see him like Elvis, nothing Elvis did was hugely innovative, all that rock and roll and blues was already out there, but Elvis made it popular to an audience that might not have heard it otherwise, made it acceptable but also set a template for younger musicians to emulate.

Having said that Bowie was way more musically innovative than Elvis.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:04 PM   #126
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
I'd throw Nick Lowe in there, although he's never had the commercial success of the others. Eno obviously.
You could maybe add Ray Davies and Andy Partridge - though they were both in significant bands, they were the dominant voices.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:48 PM   #127
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since we are on a hockey forum, this is the best of both worlds:

Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2016, 03:23 PM   #128
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
You could maybe add Ray Davies and Andy Partridge - though they were both in significant bands, they were the dominant voices.
I was thinking Ray Davis but didn't want to downplay his brothers contribution.
I hadn't considered XTC, you could throw Richard Thompson/ fairport convention in there as well.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:47 PM   #129
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

This one sucks.

Loved his last video. As my friend was saying, 'guess he's Stardust now'. Nice to think of his energy roaming the cosmos.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:10 PM   #130
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Other musicians scoffed at the web. David Bowie started his own Internet service provider.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 02:12 AM   #131
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think Bowie is unique as his influence was not really musical as much as cultural, musically Bowie was not groundbreaking, he couldn't be as he was a performer rather than musician, what he did was take styles and influences and make them accessible to other artists, as well as the public.
Quote:
In some ways I see him like Elvis, nothing Elvis did was hugely innovative, all that rock and roll and blues was already out there, but Elvis made it popular to an audience that might not have heard it otherwise, made it acceptable but also set a template for younger musicians to emulate.
That is... pretty close to being the most inaccurate description of Bowie I have ever heard.

David Bowie has been a major influence to essentially all of western pop/rock music at least since the mid-eighties, if not directly then by proxies such as Joy Division, Duran Duran, The Smiths and U2. (Radiohead, Lady Gaga, Marilyn Manson, Peaches...) Heck, even "serious" artists as Philip Glass have been influenced by Bowie's work. And Kanye West. He has literally been named "the most influential artist of all time". And yes that was a reference to his musical influence. (He also produced all of Iggy Pops best albums, such as Raw Power, which is very influential in itself.)

He was a fantastic song writer that invented or influenced the birth of whole genres. Many musicians that have worked with him have named him as one of the most (if not THE most) brilliant and talented people they have worked with.

You're also so opposite to fact in the "making popular" idea. For the most of his career Bowie wasn't THAT popular, and large reason for this was obviously his habit of doing things the hard way. He would disappear from publicity and reappear doing a completely different genre of music than before (at times working in genres that barely existed, such as the heavily soul/funk influenced rock/pop of Young Americans or the drum&bass/rock fusion of Earthling.) He would confuse the media and the audience with obtuse art references, fluid sexual identity and obscure satirical political commentary (much of which was probably largely inspired by heavy drug use).

In fact he managed to alienate his audience so completely in the 80's that by the time he released Black Tie White Noise in 1993, many noted that his name was probably a hindrance to that albums commercial uccess.

It's really only after he followed with albums that many actually consider to be among his best (Outside and Earthling) that he really solidified his status as the mainstream rock icon he's considered today. What's more remarkable, unlike most "comebacks", this wasn't done on the back of younger songwriters and producers No, Bowie still wrote all his stuff and even co-produced his albums. And managed to sound almost bleeding edge, at the tender age of 50+.

(Here's Rick Wakemans commentary on the topic of Bowies songwriting, and a fantastic piano version of Life on Mars, which really brings out the complexity in that song that seems so deceivingly simple.)

And note that I never even liked Bowie that much

But I recognize great stuff when I hear it.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2016, 02:23 AM   #132
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Interesting, Björk's famous Swan outfit she wore to the Oscars was because of David Bowie:

Old 01-13-2016, 02:36 AM   #133
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

...on the topic of personal favourite Bowie albums, Station to Station and Ziggy Stardust would share the #1 spot, followed in no particular order by Low, Let's Dance and Hours.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:24 PM   #134
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Published on Jan 13, 2016
Space Oddity has always broken my heart: that moment when one realizes the inevitability of the end! All we can do is send goodness into the universe for our loved ones and try to recognize every last glorious experience. I wanted to somehow find peace within the mourning so I paired Space Oddity with another song about resolution: Across The Universe. I'm not sure if I made either song happier or both songs sadder, but I leave it here for you to take how you wish. xo
Old 01-13-2016, 03:57 PM   #135
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
That is... pretty close to being the most inaccurate description of Bowie I have ever heard.

David Bowie has been a major influence to essentially all of western pop/rock music at least since the mid-eighties, if not directly then by proxies such as Joy Division, Duran Duran, The Smiths and U2. (Radiohead, Lady Gaga, Marilyn Manson, Peaches...) Heck, even "serious" artists as Philip Glass have been influenced by Bowie's work. And Kanye West. He has literally been named "the most influential artist of all time". And yes that was a reference to his musical influence. (He also produced all of Iggy Pops best albums, such as Raw Power, which is very influential in itself.)

He was a fantastic song writer that invented or influenced the birth of whole genres. Many musicians that have worked with him have named him as one of the most (if not THE most) brilliant and talented people they have worked with.

You're also so opposite to fact in the "making popular" idea. For the most of his career Bowie wasn't THAT popular, and large reason for this was obviously his habit of doing things the hard way. He would disappear from publicity and reappear doing a completely different genre of music than before (at times working in genres that barely existed, such as the heavily soul/funk influenced rock/pop of Young Americans or the drum&bass/rock fusion of Earthling.) He would confuse the media and the audience with obtuse art references, fluid sexual identity and obscure satirical political commentary (much of which was probably largely inspired by heavy drug use).

In fact he managed to alienate his audience so completely in the 80's that by the time he released Black Tie White Noise in 1993, many noted that his name was probably a hindrance to that albums commercial uccess.

It's really only after he followed with albums that many actually consider to be among his best (Outside and Earthling) that he really solidified his status as the mainstream rock icon he's considered today. What's more remarkable, unlike most "comebacks", this wasn't done on the back of younger songwriters and producers No, Bowie still wrote all his stuff and even co-produced his albums. And managed to sound almost bleeding edge, at the tender age of 50+.

(Here's Rick Wakemans commentary on the topic of Bowies songwriting, and a fantastic piano version of Life on Mars, which really brings out the complexity in that song that seems so deceivingly simple.)

And note that I never even liked Bowie that much

But I recognize great stuff when I hear it.
I'd never argue that Bowie wasn't a great songwriter, nor would I argue he wasn't influential, in fact I'm pretty sure I pointed out just how influential he was, but his influence was in introducing artists and the public to music they were either not aware of in the case of the U.S. or just opening up the idea of the music as something to be played by white English bands as opposed to just listened to as a black or German sound.

Bowie himself was a translator of other people's musical styles, his first albums were fairly standard rock and ballads, influenced by the velvet underground and the kinks, they were far less innovative than the first Roxy Music Albums for instance, his Aladdin Sane era was hugely influenced by his work with Iggy and the Stooges and went on the influence punk itself, his thin white duke era was his interpretation of the Philly sound, but unlike in the U.S. philly soul was already popular in the UK, the idea of a 'rock star' doing a soul album was innovative, the music itself wasn't particularly.

Again when he took off to Berlin for my favourite period of his work the music was firmly grounded in the existing work of Can and Neu and other kraut rock artists that were relatively unknown in the U.S. and Canada but always had a following in the UK.

I'm not arguing he wasn't a genius but his genius was in co-opting styles and influences and reinterpreting them.

I think if you have grown up in white North America it is probably difficult to realize how different music is in the UK, that whole styles of music, rocksteady northern soul, dub, kraut rock Afro beat were fixtures in the charts and in the clubs of London and the UK, it gives a whole different perspective of Bowies work, he's still revered as a genius but if you know where his music comes from it does make him a cultural icon rather than a musical one.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:01 PM   #136
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

On a different note I would strongly recommend watching 'The Velvet Goldmine' a movie that tells an apocryphal interpretation of Bowies rise, it's on Netflix (or was a few weeks ago) great soundtrack great story and some excellent acting.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:03 PM   #137
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Is the Bowie doc still on HBO/Movie Central? I remember it showing a few months ago, perhaps a bit longer.

Pretty sure it's called Five Years and is about the Berlin years.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:50 PM   #138
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Rate your top 3 Bowie Albums
1. Lodger
2. Outside
3. Hunky Dory
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2016, 01:16 PM   #139
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Local Bowie Tribute:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1108174699207165/

The Man Who Sold The World, a Tribute to David Bowie.

Another HUGE lost for music taken by cancer. Fundraiser in his honour is being held. Join us February 13th for your favourite Calgary bands playing their favourite Bowie songs with all of the proceeds going to cancer research. Bands and friends tba. #### CANCER!!!

Where: Palomino Smokehouse and Social Club
109 7 Avenue S.W Calgary
When: Saturday Febuary 13, 2016
Doors: 1:00pm
Admission: All procecceds go to cancer research. #### CANCER
Old 01-15-2016, 09:17 AM   #140
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post: