Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Leagues and Games > Playing with Fire: Hockey In the Virtual World
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 06:22 PM   #121
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

nm
Old 09-21-2011, 06:35 PM   #122
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have had some terrible outings with the fatas, part because of my experience and the other part because of my internet connection. I was staying away from "ruining" the Fatas record (1 Gp and we won so thats good).
Kick me out of the club, I am fully behind your decision with the team.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:53 PM   #123
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hahahah screw it, I'll just make another account and join both clubs.

PSN Id for the farm team: brandity18
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Human Torch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2011, 08:20 PM   #124
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Anyone up for a game? There are a few of us, waiting for more now.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:46 AM   #125
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
The downside is we can't do split squad games, so some people aren't going to get as much chance to play as others.

Personally, if this is how the team is going to proceed, I wouldn't allow anymore players to join up as it will limit the amount of time more serious players have to play
This shouldn't be an issue since we'll just have more intersquad games during nights there's a lot of people on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
Do we have a series of tryout games, then?
Everything at moment is operations as normal. Whether we do regular games or intersquad games, if a GM is present each player in the game will be observed. If there are +7 people online, there should be more intersquad games to get everyone as much playing time as possible.

If you guys want to create those games yourself, just create a room in the communities lobby named "CPF" with the password "fata". You can invite people into the room by using the player HUB window.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:35 PM   #126
jayocal
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'd like to give it a go. I feel like I've been getting a good handle on D for the last couple of years. In OTP, I still manage to get A's and B+'s even if my team gets blown out. My turnovers have dropped as well.

Positioning and discipline are key.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:12 PM   #127
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what is the type of play that I'm looking for out of the competitive team players? Here's a few tips on the idea of what you should be doing on the ice.

DEFENSE

Don’t be over aggressive: When you’re a defender against the opposing team rush, your main objective is to prevent keep the opposing team from generating a good scoring opportunity and slowing down the rush to allow the backcheckers to catch up. There have been numerous times a defender takes a aggressive approach in defending the rush by going for the body and missing, allowing the puck carrier to have a good scoring opportunity which could’ve been avoided. If you don’t have a teammate covering for your potential mistake, it’s not worth the unnecessary risk. A more conservative approach should be adopted to prevent this from happening. Contain the puck carrier to the outside and prevent them from having easy access to the inside. This will slow them down which will allow your teammates to catch up.
Now this doesn’t mean don’t ever go for the hit no matter what. If you’re confident that you can successfully connect the hit and it’ll result in us getting the puck back there or contain the rush, go for it. We just need to make sure our risk taking actions yield more reward rather than mishaps.

Cover the passing and shooting lanes: In the defensive zone we are one whole unit. We are working together to prevent good shots and retrieve the puck so we can go back on the offensive. If you’re not defending 1 on 1 on a player then your role is to defend your part of the ice by cutting off the passing lane or shooting lane; which is especially true on the Penalty Kill since you won’t be able to cover everyone on the ice man and man. Cutting off the options of the puck carrier will lead to them having to take a bad shot or better will generate a turnover.

Don’t chase the puck carrier: It’s important that if a player is dangling around, not to get sucked into and start to move out of position since that’s the puck carrier objective. Keep the player contained. The only time players should abanded their spot of the ice is when collapsing into the slot if there is ongoing danger in the zone. Again, if there’s danger in the slot is when it’s code red.

OFFENSE

Choose the better options: It’s important that when you have the puck to make the most out of the opportunity. If you have the option to take a good shot, take it. If you have the option to take a shot (though not great), but have the option to pass the puck to a player that is open, pass the puck off. This could lead to a better opportunity to make something happen since they may have a good spot for a shot or continue the cycle for a better scoring opportunity. Smart puck movement is extremely important since it’ll open up the defense which will open up prime spots and great opportunities for scoring. Again though, if there isn’t a great passing opportunity (give the puck to the opposing team by going for the cross crease pass too often), take the shot, ring the puck around the boards down low (can be done in attack zone this year), or retain possession.

Be in the best position: Just like how we’re one unit in the defensive zone, we need to a unit in the offensive zone. After all, it’s harder to cover five players then just one. Be aware in the offensive zone of where you should be in the zone. Place yourself in spots that provides a passing option or an escape option for the puck carrier whether that’s in the slot, down low, at the point, the side boards, or other side of the ice. When the puck is at the point, we should have a player in front of the goalie providing the screen. Don’t sacrifice being a passing option for the puck carrier though to be the screen. And also keep in mind to not occupy a zone another teammate has already. We’re hurting ourselves by having two players in one spot rather than using all the open ice we have.

Cover the pinching D man: Forwards, notably wingers, have to be aware of when the defenseman is pinching whether that’s on the rush or during the play in the attack zone. These players are taking chances to be part of the play so it’s that they’re spot is covered so we aren’t on our heels in the event of a turnover.

Avoid blueline turnovers: These turnovers hurt the most since it’s at the spot of the last line of defense. They tend to lead to odd man rushes or breakaways which have a high percentage chance of leading to a goal against. So it’s crucial that if you have the puck and you’re one the last players between the opposing player and your goalie, that you don’t lose the puck at the blueline. If you’re getting pressured and don’t have a passing option, your two options should be to get the puck off by shooting at the net or getting the puck deep in the zone whether it’s by passing down low or dumping the puck down low.

As you can see, player positioning and smarts is something I’m taking high value in.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #128
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

I also think it's really important for the D to follow the last man back rule.

That means if you are D and someone has the puck make absolute sure you are not ahead of them as a turnover leads to a sure goal.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:41 PM   #129
flamestalker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Is anyone playing now? I'd like to get some games in
Old 09-22-2011, 09:33 PM   #130
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamestalker View Post
Is anyone playing now? I'd like to get some games in
About 9-10 online now
Old 09-23-2011, 02:04 PM   #131
lanevosky
Farm Team Player

Exp:

good game last night.
I'll be away for 3 months. (in Asia)

Please dont kick me off the team.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:08 PM   #132
likwid888
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Jebus, I went from +6 to to -10 in one night of playing. I'm cut.

Last edited by likwid888; 09-23-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #133
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

I probably should create the Calgarypuck Farm Fatas, or whatever. I don't think i can play or pay enough for my guy to have high enough attributes that i can contribute to the pro team. I can do that tonight or tomorrow.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:23 PM   #134
likwid888
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
I probably should create the Calgarypuck Farm Fatas, or whatever. I don't think i can play or pay enough for my guy to have high enough attributes that i can contribute to the pro team. I can do that tonight or tomorrow.
I would wait, as there is still a week for everyone to play together and possibly make the big club. Unless you just want the glory of being the owner of the farm club?
Old 09-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #135
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'd be interested in a more competitive, smaller squad team.

Not really interested in a big group.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:08 PM   #136
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid888 View Post
Unless you just want the glory of being the owner of the farm club?

I figured I may as well create the club with a different psn ID. I still want to try for the regular fatas, but I don't mind just having fun, so I figured I could be on both clubs.

Last edited by Kipper is King; 09-23-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:52 PM   #137
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

can we still join?
PSN Username: Kash8791
Position: Center
Goalie: No
Number: #87
Old 09-24-2011, 11:13 PM   #138
C-ero
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

On second thought, I think I will just call it quits on being competitive. I haven't really been around playing a lot because I have been busy with other games plus I got school. Besides, I don't even know if I would have made it. Based on the expectations of gameplay, none of that fits my gameplay lol. I just go out and hit everything that moves and cherry pick haha.

It was a pleasure playing with you guys and if there is a casual team, please invite me to that as I will occasionally drop by and play a game or two.

Last edited by C-ero; 09-24-2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:54 PM   #139
C-ero
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Nm.

Last edited by C-ero; 09-25-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:48 PM   #140
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

So for confirmation these of the people whom have indicated interest in the competitive club so far.

jschick88 (jeremyschick8888)
Diemenz (Diemenz)
likwid888 (likwid888)
Dime_On_Flames
dobbles (dobbles81)
Human Torch (StMerc)
DragonSoul (CalgaryFlame)
jayocal (jayocal)
CMPunk (TattooedSpike)
Kipper is King (GoFlamesGo89)
Savvy27 (reggie_dunlop12)
jiginla12 (sloppy2315)
Diverce (Diverce)
koop (koop06)
Flash Walken?

If you are interested but aren't on the list, post in the thread to notify.

Last edited by Joborule; 09-26-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
blinkingricorules , dobblesoutofretirement? , elitetop100herewecome! , send me