Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2024, 01:38 PM   #121
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry if I missed it, but was there an actual announcement or are they just putting up more blue signs saying another project by the UCP?
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 01:41 PM   #122
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

More blue signs saying "Another project by the UCP!"
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 01:41 PM   #123
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Sorry if I missed it, but was there an actual announcement or are they just putting up more blue signs saying another project by the UCP?
They've announced a feasibility plan to be released in a year or so. Other than the shot at Guilbeault(he sure lives in her head!) for no practical reason, there wasn't anything really presented.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 01:44 PM   #124
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

This is, by far and large, the GREATEST announcement that this government has EVER announced publicly.

I am just in awe of the sheer size of this announcement. WOW. My body was not ready for this.
Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 01:45 PM   #125
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Danielle went to Toronto and was inspired by the Go Train so now they're doing a master plan on railways in the province.

There are about six possible projects that they have identified (edmonton area, calgary area, calgary-red deer-banff, calgary-edmonton, banff-jasper, and expansions on the existing LRT network), but we will have to wait a year and spend $9M for consultants to confirm the plan and tell us which lines are feasible and where to start. From there, they'll open it up to UCP donors private companies to bid.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 01:45 PM   #126
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm about 10 minutes behind the live airing, and some of these press questions are silly too. "What do you think about BC rescinding their drug decriminalization plan?"

... What's that got to do with anything going on today?

I mean, I get the press want to ask the premier about all sorts of crap because frankly this announcement today was just "we're planning to come up with a plan! ", but... c'mon: be better, media.
Old 04-29-2024, 01:45 PM   #127
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1785023256225046633

Includes airport links in Calgary and Edmonton and stops in Lethbridge, Okotoks, Medicine Hat, Red Deer, Fort Mac, and GP. Certainly more ambitious than I expected

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 01:49 PM   #128
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
I'm about 10 minutes behind the live airing, and some of these press questions are silly too. "What do you think about BC rescinding their drug decriminalization plan?"

... What's that got to do with anything going on today?

I mean, I get the press want to ask the premier about all sorts of crap because frankly this announcement today was just "we're planning to come up with a plan! ", but... c'mon: be better, media.
Media's job is not to stay on message for the government. They just introduced a bill that says they can rewrite any municipal bylaw or remove any municipal councillor in Calgary or Edmonton based on confidential cabinet discussions.

I also don't love the decriminalization question because it just gives Danielle a chance to do an unearned victory lap punching on BC. But reporters have a right to ask their questions and hold them to account rather then letting the government turn the page with a plan to make a plan about trains.

Last edited by Flames0910; 04-29-2024 at 01:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 01:51 PM   #129
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Knock, knock

Who's there?

Danielle Smith with an important rail announcement

Oh, okay.

Orange you glad I didn't announce a 37th study to look at the feasibility of high-speed rail between Calgary and Edmonton?

Last edited by Sr. Mints; 04-29-2024 at 02:12 PM.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 01:51 PM   #130
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
Media's job is not to stay on message for the government. They just introduced a bill that says they can rewrite any municipal bylaw or remove any municipal councillor in Calgary or Edmonton based on confidential cabinet discussions.

Reporters have a right to hold them to that rather then letting them turn the page with a plan to make a plan about trains.

Fair point.
Old 04-29-2024, 01:55 PM   #131
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

The press release reads like a university student keyword-stuffing a paper the night before it's due. Thanks for the history lesson guys. lol

Quote:
Since the early days of Alberta’s development, the province has been shaped by the iron rails that crisscross its landscape. The arrival of the transcontinental railway in the late 19th century brought about profound changes to the way of life, facilitating trade, settlement, and economic prosperity. Towns and cities sprung up along the tracks, serving as vital hubs for commerce and transportation.

Today, the legacy of rail continues to shape Alberta and the rest of Canada. While the modes of transportation may have evolved, the spirit of innovation and connectivity remains as strong as ever...
https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?x...741257629F6518
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 01:59 PM   #132
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

“Boondoggle” drinking game?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 02:03 PM   #133
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
More blue signs saying "Another project PLAN by the UCP!"
Fixed.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 02:04 PM   #134
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The press release reads like a university student keyword-stuffing a paper the night before it's due. Thanks for the history lesson guys. lol

https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?x...741257629F6518
Sounds like they stole the intro from Ticket to Ride.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 02:06 PM   #135
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1785023256225046633

Includes airport links in Calgary and Edmonton and stops in Lethbridge, Okotoks, Medicine Hat, Red Deer, Fort Mac, and GP. Certainly more ambitious than I expected

I question the viability of most of these routes, but they are progressive thoughts for alternative transportation modes. I don’t like the idea of ending the intercity lines where the commuter lines start, thus requiring a transfer or two for any long-distance trip.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 02:09 PM   #136
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

I gotta commend them on the initiative to get these projects moving. If they do things right there will be a framework for rail expansion that could unblock a whole bunch of transportation projects that would be transformative for the province.

Knowing this government though, I just don't have a lot of faith. They could have done this work quietly and competently without all the fan-fare but instead they had to go out and take credit for a plan that hasn't actually been planned. Let's see where they're at when the real plan comes out.
Old 04-29-2024, 02:12 PM   #137
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Maybe I'm too jaded but I think this "master provincial passenger rail plan" is a cover for the special favour they're going to be doing for the Waterous family. Most likely very little of this plan comes to fruition beyond the Banff-Calgary line.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 02:14 PM   #138
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I gotta commend them on the initiative to get these projects moving. If they do things right there will be a framework for rail expansion that could unblock a whole bunch of transportation projects that would be transformative for the province.

Knowing this government though, I just don't have a lot of faith. They could have done this work quietly and competently without all the fan-fare but instead they had to go out and take credit for a plan that hasn't actually been planned. Let's see where they're at when the real plan comes out.
It's what Musk does; announce a future announcement.
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 02:15 PM   #139
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Maybe I'm too jaded but I think this "master provincial passenger rail plan" is a cover for the special favour they're going to be doing for the Waterous family. Most likely very little of this plan comes to fruition beyond the Banff-Calgary line.
TBH it kinda seemed like Smith was more interested in the commuter lines (which give her something to offer rural voters in 3 years) but I agree with you and think that might be her public offering to make the Waterous deal happen.

She kept saying "well we have to wait on the feasibility report but if you ask me we need something like the Go train in Toronto" which kind of biases the report before it's even written. Knowing the UCP, the report will just be written to provide confirmation of what they already wanted it to say.

Also kind of a strange announcement to make with none of the city mayors present. Will be interesting to hear what they have to say. Instead, they had the president of the Calgary Airport Authority?

Last edited by Flames0910; 04-29-2024 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-29-2024, 02:25 PM   #140
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think I’ve seen this episode before

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post: