Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #121
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Fool View Post
I don't remember Dale Hawerchuk well enough to judge if I agree with the comparison, but I do agree with Button that Barkov is much more reminiscent of a big Canadian centre than any Russian I can think of. Don't let the name fool you. Can't think of a perfect comparison but he's much closer to Thornton, Staal, Getzlaf than some speedy stick-wizard Russian.
While he's not a centre, I wonder if the skill and aggressiveness of Gabriel Landeskog is a good comparison. I mean, the kid's a Swede, but he plays like he just left the prairies.

All I know is that I hope the Flames get a top 3 pick, so they can get Barkov.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #122
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Draft podcast with Craig Button providing comparables for most of his first round rated guys

http://www2.tsn.ca/window/podcastcen...id=14312&id=65
Could someone post the actual list. Podcast isn't working on my end.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #123
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
While he's not a centre, I wonder if the skill and aggressiveness of Gabriel Landeskog is a good comparison. I mean, the kid's a Swede, but he plays like he just left the prairies.

All I know is that I hope the Flames get a top 3 pick, so they can get Barkov.
Maybe in terms of maturity, but I don't see Barkov as an aggressive player. More like a big presence with great offensive awareness. At the moment I think Joe Thornton is roughly the type. He turned 17 a couple of months ago and he definitely plays a number-one centre game against men already. Size helps a lot but he's also very smart.

He seems like a safe pick and I don't mean that in a bad sense. I don't know how his skill cap compares to other top prospects. He could make the NHL at 18, although I wouldn't expect huge points in the first year.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #124
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Earlier this year someone on hfboards made a video of Barkov's every shift in a game. It's not a highlight reel and his team Tappara doesn't play an exciting type of game (and neither does the opponent, Ortio and Granlund's HIFK), but it is very good if you want to evaluate his positioning, passing, etc. Also he plays with Nemo. Easy to spot with the golden helmet.

Three periods:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzuooNUm8BM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1kxLsvD_ig
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFVxuQlh-6g
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Henry Fool For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #125
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Barkov=Flames....really needs to happen.
surely not going to happen if there's a season

If the lockout ends soon and there's a season, I'd expect the Flames to pick between 10 and 20 again. I think you have to look organisational depth, and the Flames lack offensive/puck-moving defensemen in their prospect pool ... and right wings obviously, maybe center as well. If they are around 10, defenseman Ryan Pulock (Brandon/WHL) or Calgarian Hunter Shinkaruk (Medicine Hat/WHL) would be interesting choices. Darnell Nurse, Josh Morrissey, Anthony Mantha, Adam Erne, Kerby Rychel, Anthony Duclair, Morgan Klimchuk or Frederick Gauthier would be make sense as well.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #126
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
surely not going to happen if there's a season

If the lockout ends soon and there's a season, I'd expect the Flames to pick between 10 and 20 again. I think you have to look organisational depth, and the Flames lack offensive/puck-moving defensemen in their prospect pool ... and right wings obviously, maybe center as well. If they are around 10, defenseman Ryan Pulock (Brandon/WHL) or Calgarian Hunter Shinkaruk (Medicine Hat/WHL) would be interesting choices. Darnell Nurse, Josh Morrissey, Anthony Mantha, Adam Erne, Kerby Rychel, Anthony Duclair, Morgan Klimchuk or Frederick Gauthier would be make sense as well.
If the Flames are in 10-20, I'd take Morrisey of the Raiders. Shea Theodore is another option if the Flames draft late.

Eric Roy seems to have vanished off the face of the earth, but I'd keep him as a mid round option.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:33 AM   #127
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalms04 View Post
Somebody made a draft lottery sim based on the rules from the '05 draft:

http://timgur.com/nhl/draft/
This makes me cautiously optimistic that we'll get a top 8 draft position in a perhaps once-in-a-decade draft.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #128
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Fire View Post
Could someone post the actual list. Podcast isn't working on my end.
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #129
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
This makes me cautiously optimistic that we'll get a top 8 draft position in a perhaps once-in-a-decade draft.
Well the Flames still have never had a top 5 pick in their history. If this year was the first that would be pretty opportune.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #130
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blue Jackets amateur scout meeting:

Really wish we picked up Davidson.

Also seems like the scouts are pretty confident that they'll be picking top 3...
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #131
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Also seems like the scouts are pretty confident that they'll be picking top 3...
Didn't get that from the video at all. They were talking at the beginning about having 3 first rounders, maybe that is what you're talking about? CBJ has LA's pick, NYR's pick and their own.

Obviously they have to prepare for those 3 first rounders to be in any position since it is completely up in the air where those picks will be.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:58 PM   #132
FCAV
Scoring Winger

Exp:

CHL Top Prospects Game roster has been announced!

Quote:
The 38 players joining captains Nathan MacKinnon and Seth Jones at the 2013 CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game have been announced.

Six of the top ten players - including MacKinnon and Jones - and 19 total players currently featured in Future Considerations' November ranking for the 2013 NHL Draft will be in attendance at the Top Prospects Game, taking place at the Halifax Metro Centre on January 16, 2013.
http://futureconsiderations.ca/forty...spects-roster/
FCAV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FCAV For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #133
Commandant
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What to expect out of Big Name Draft Eligible players at the WJC.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/12/...es-at-the-wjc/
Commandant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #134
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I see lots of good centers this year, I agree we could use a stud dman in the system but I'm gonna be pissed if we're in the 10-20 range and don't grab a center, been holding the organization back for years and the last thing we want is to have Baertschi go through his whole career without a legit center
indes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #135
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the draft pro's on this board I have a question. Where is Miro Aaltonen projecting towards right now? I know he broke his ankle in the tounament but his presence was greatly missed by the team. Seems like he would make a good mid round pick.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #136
Dienasty
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Shinkaruk played on a line with Etem and that's how he racked up his points. If you want a guy to make a game 6-1 instead of 5-1 he is your guy. Brutal in playoffs, frustrated easily, no vision and soft. Not what I would want to draft. If flames take him I will be pissed.
Dienasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #137
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's playing without Etem now and is among the top point producers for draft eligible forwards.

Would he be a good pick at something like 6? No. But around 9 or 10, I think he would be a very good pick.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #138
Dienasty
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

As for drafting based on needs I think that is extremely short sighted. As the flames don't have a realistic shot at a cup for 3-5 years you take best player available. You only draft for need when you are on the cusp of a championship. Would love to see the flames take a big offensive center, but if there are better d men or wingers I go with them. Flames just need to add talent... Badly.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #139
Dienasty
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
He's playing without Etem now and is among the top point producers for draft eligible forwards.

Would he be a good pick at something like 6? No. But around 9 or 10, I think he would be a very good pick.
He is -5 in a year he is supposed to be a leader for his team, has character issues, undersized, and will be one of the oldest kids in the draft as he missed being eligible last year by days.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #140
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dienasty View Post
He is -5 in a year he is supposed to be a leader for his team, has character issues, undersized, and will be one of the oldest kids in the draft as he missed being eligible last year by days.
What does +/- have to do with being a good player?

He's playing on a pretty awful team and is one of the better +/- players on the team.

I've heard him described as a Phil Kessel who isn't afraid to hit. Kessel is one of the best snipers in the league. That'd be a pretty damn good pick after 5.

He's by far the most dynamic forward coming from the WHL.