Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2020, 09:22 AM   #121
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
I strongly suspect Microsoft Flight Simulator will be a November 10 launch title for the two new Xbox consoles. You can argue if that's considered a "first party exclusive" or not since it's already available for Windows, but all Microsoft games run on both Xbox and Windows now, so it's at least a console exclusive.
Also confirmed as an Xbox One game.

So again, what can I play on Series S/X that I can't play on my Xbox One or PS4? Nothing.

And I don't buy the narrative of "they don't want you to buy the console, they just want you on Gamepass man!" -- okay, why are they releasing and heavily promoting two next-generation consoles in direct competition with Sony then...? If that was the case they'd just drop making consoles and put GamePass on PS5. Of course they want you to buy a new console. And history has proven again and again and again that people flock to the platform with the most must-have exclusive games. Every. time.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 09:29 AM   #122
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Yeah I think all the hardware talk doesn't matter much at the end of the day because the consoles are always so close when comparing the same level of console (it matters to fanboys who want to hold something up as evidence of a superior system).

Exclusives and what your friends are playing on have always been the biggest drivers. Even for people who never play online, why would you buy anything but the system that offers you exclusive access to more games you actually want to play?
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:30 AM   #123
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Wow, really? After having played the PC version for several dozen hours, I can't imagine it'd be a very satisfactory experience at all on Xbox One hardware. Maybe the 2017 Xbox One X could run it decently, but I have to imagine there would be so many compromises to graphical fidelity to get it running at an acceptable frame rate on an original 2013 Xbox One.
MarchHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:32 AM   #124
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

So again, what can I play on Series S/X that I can't play on my Xbox One or PS4? Nothing.

And I don't buy the narrative of "they don't want you to buy the console, they just want you on Gamepass man!" -- okay, why are they releasing and heavily promoting two next-generation consoles in direct competition with Sony then...? If that was the case they'd just drop making consoles and put GamePass on PS5. Of course they want you to buy a new console. And history has proven again and again and again that people flock to the platform with the most must-have exclusive games. Every. time.
A more precise quote from head of Xbox Phil Spencer:

Speaking on an episode of Gary Whitta’s Animal Talking podcast, Spencer said,
“If selling more consoles than Sony and Nintendo was our approach, we wouldn’t put our games on PC.
We wouldn’t put our games on Xbox One; we wouldn’t do xCloud and allow people to play games on their phones.”

“How many consoles do I sell versus how many consoles does another company sell,’”
he added. “Sony or Nintendo or other companies back in the day, that’s not our approach.”
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:41 AM   #125
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

"That's not our approach, but please check out this amazing and most powerful console ever we're releasing this fall. We're not trying to sell lots of it though."

I guess it's a good sell at the investor's meeting when you're in last place.
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 09:48 AM   #126
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
"That's not our approach, but please check out this amazing and most powerful console ever we're releasing this fall. We're not trying to sell lots of it though."

Microsoft literally makes over a hundred billion dollars a year, they don't need to sell anything at investor meetings.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:55 AM   #127
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Console sales are only part of the picture as Mirrosoft is taking a more software and gaming services oriented approach. None of us can say if this is the right approach but it's pretty clear we are getting near the extinction of consoles as things move more to streaming across phones, computers, smart TV's etc so it's like an automaker incurring some short term pains for longer term gains in regards to EV development.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:00 AM   #128
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Microsoft literally makes over a hundred billion dollars a year, they don't need to sell anything at investor meetings.
My point is that they're pre-loading a narrative in for disappointing sales.

Nintendo can come out and say they're not competing with Sony and MS because they release underpowered hardware with wild gimmicks in off-years on their own schedule. You can't come out and say "we're not competing with Sony" and then release an expensive, obvious direct competitor at the same time.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:37 AM   #129
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

So question re: Xbox and windows.

If I own madden 21 on XBox, can I play it on my Windows? Or because its EA its not as simple?
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:55 AM   #130
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
My point is that they're pre-loading a narrative in for disappointing sales.

Nintendo can come out and say they're not competing with Sony and MS because they release underpowered hardware with wild gimmicks in off-years on their own schedule. You can't come out and say "we're not competing with Sony" and then release an expensive, obvious direct competitor at the same time.
And what I am saying is that Microsoft as a company as a whole have the ability to do this. They can say, hey! we may not sell as many consoles as Sony due to their ability to generate top tier exclusives while also offering a next gen system to play non-exclusive games on. But what we can do is utilize our other technology stacks(Game pass, project xCloud) to sell enough consoles to make Xbox as a whole competitive.

They will not sell more consoles, but they will have more subscription cash coming in due to the game pass on xbox one, series s/x and PC not to mention when Xbox all access releases in Canada, that will be a game changer. Having the ability to pay say $50 a month for two years, getting the next gen console along with game pass ultimate would be huge.

With Xbox's focus on inclusion, Playstation will always sell more consoles due to there focus on exclusivity unless they mess up the pricing.

Last edited by Since1984; 09-09-2020 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:57 AM   #131
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
So question re: Xbox and windows.

If I own madden 21 on XBox, can I play it on my Windows? Or because its EA its not as simple?
I don't think this is currently possible unless you are streaming to your computer from the xbox. With the new partnership with EA Play and Game pass perhaps this will be available early next year though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 11:01 AM   #132
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Ha ha ha dino is such a PS fanboy. Nonsensical complaining and missing the entire point of the Series S. Microsoft has a console more powerful and less powerful than the PS5. Seems to me like they have their bases covered.
I will have every system like always (not the S POS)..thread is called the Thunderdome I thought we were supposed to discuss #### like who is gonna sell the most consoles. Isn't that the point of this thread?

You guys are the ones getting butt hurt because I don't like one of Microsofts consoles. It's almost $400 Canadian...casuals won't buy it and gamers will want the X IMO.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:33 AM   #133
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I will have every system like always (not the S POS)..thread is called the Thunderdome I thought we were supposed to discuss #### like who is gonna sell the most consoles. Isn't that the point of this thread?

You guys are the ones getting butt hurt because I don't like one of Microsofts consoles. It's almost $400 Canadian...casuals won't buy it and gamers will want the X IMO.

When one "competitor" of a Thunderdome is playing a different game it makes it a little more difficult to discuss. When strictly looking at it in black and white I see it this way:
  • PS5 offers better exclusives and launch titles
  • Series X will be the better console for cross platform games
  • Nintendo Switch is so niche that it will always provide a great option with great exclusives

Having all 3 is the best route, but not a route that many can take in the current economic environment.

What will be interesting to see how well Xbox All Access catches on here (only available @ EB Games) and in the 12 new countries Microsoft is making it available.

Last edited by Since1984; 09-09-2020 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-09-2020, 12:02 PM   #134
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
None of us can say if this is the right approach but it's pretty clear we are getting near the extinction of consoles as things move more to streaming across phones, computers, smart TV's etc so it's like an automaker incurring some short term pains for longer term gains in regards to EV development.
I remember the launch for the PS4 and Xbox whatever the model was and how it was supposed to be the last generation of consoles to ever exist. They were "doomed". Consoles were over in 2013.

And yet here we go again. Nevermind that Switch that has sold so many models that it steamrolled the Xbox in sheer numbers in less than half the time. The Switch has easily outsold the previous generation Wii U. The PS4 has outstripped the PS3 as well. Only the Xbox has reflected badly versus their previous console that generation. Meanwhile, Stadia is DOA.

I'm more than happy with a $3000-$4000 PC with VR and a 65inch oled with G-sync. I don't think that's very mainstream though.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:09 PM   #135
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

If all these next gen games are coming to Xcloud you don't need a system at all for the casuals... Xcloud runs good on a $50 android box. Now streaming is not the as good as actual hardware.

PSNow also runs on any old PC but it's currently only 720p. Streaming will be the way of the future for non hard cores IMO

Last edited by dino7c; 09-09-2020 at 12:11 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:16 PM   #136
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
If all these next gen games are coming to Xcloud you don't need a system at all for the casuals... Xcloud runs good on a $50 android box. Now streaming is not the as good as actual hardware.

PSNow also runs on any old PC but it's currently only 720p. Streaming will be the way of the future for non hard cores IMO
I 100% agree with this.
Old 09-09-2020, 12:45 PM   #137
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm super curious how the streaming evolution will go. I wonder how long it will take for the wide swath of the world population to get internet streaming speeds that can keep up and with (no) bandwidth cap limits going at what, 2 GB+/hour of gaming?

Especially in the stranglehold internet provider situation of Canada.
Old 09-09-2020, 01:49 PM   #138
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
A more precise quote from head of Xbox Phil Spencer:

Speaking on an episode of Gary Whitta’s Animal Talking podcast, Spencer said,
“If selling more consoles than Sony and Nintendo was our approach, we wouldn’t put our games on PC.
We wouldn’t put our games on Xbox One; we wouldn’t do xCloud and allow people to play games on their phones.”

“How many consoles do I sell versus how many consoles does another company sell,’”
he added. “Sony or Nintendo or other companies back in the day, that’s not our approach.”
To me, I just feel like they've resigned to the fact they're losing this next gen console war, and have tried to mitigate against it. If console sales isn't a focus, wouldn't it be more profitable for them not to even build a console, and focus on getting Game Pass on as many other platforms as possible (ie. PC, PS5, Switch, and mobile)?
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 02:09 PM   #139
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I'm super curious how the streaming evolution will go. I wonder how long it will take for the wide swath of the world population to get internet streaming speeds that can keep up and with (no) bandwidth cap limits going at what, 2 GB+/hour of gaming?

Especially in the stranglehold internet provider situation of Canada.
Sorry, looks like I am drastically low on data cost for video game streaming. Good luck with monthly billing costs with the hope of widespread adoption nevermind for mobile devices.

https://arstechnica.com/information-...rnet-data-cap/

Google says you'll need 35Mbps to play at maximum settings—that's 4K resolution, high dynamic range (HDR), and 60 frames per second (fps) with 5.1 surround sound. As PC Gamer noted last week, that adds up to 15.75GB per hour, which would use up an entire 1TB monthly data allotment in 65 hours of game time.

Stadia will work at lower resolutions, with Google recommending 20Mbps for 1080p/60fps with 5.1 surround sound, and 10Mbps for 720p/60fps with stereo sound. That's 9GB and 4.5GB per hour, respectively, potentially using up a 1TB data cap in 114 or 228 hours.

Last edited by chemgear; 09-09-2020 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:21 PM   #140
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
To me, I just feel like they've resigned to the fact they're losing this next gen console war, and have tried to mitigate against it. If console sales isn't a focus, wouldn't it be more profitable for them not to even build a console, and focus on getting Game Pass on as many other platforms as possible (ie. PC, PS5, Switch, and mobile)?
Console sales are obviously part of Xbox's equation but it isn't the full equation.

Game pass is as important to Xbox as the console.

Reverse compatibility is more important to Xbox than Sony/Nintendo. This includes giving many users a free upgrade to the next gen version of the game.

This isn't just talking about games either, this includes many of the accessories consumers already have. Some of these accessories are already the best in the biz (Xbox Elite Controller, accessibility controller) These will all work with the next gen system and vice versa.

Sony's new controllers don't work with PS4 games, which requires new PS5 adopters to buy an additional PS4 controller just so they can play the "Top 100 PS4" games that will be back compatible.

PS Plus and Now are lackluster, second rate options when compared to what Xbox is offering with Game pass.