Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2022, 09:40 AM   #121
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
Does anyone have a code for today?
I believe the Live Nation pre sale code is Pumpkin
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2022, 02:09 AM   #122
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I'm so pumped about this sudden announcement of Tom coming back and the tour and all that, but one thing has been kind of weird.

Mark and Travis have been close friends with Matt Skiba since the 2000's. Then they made him lead singer for 6 years and two albums. Yet Skiba has shown visible frustration in interviews the past two years, saying no one tells him anything. He's never been told whether he's out or still lead singer even when the band hints at upcoming new music being worked on.

Seems so weird.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 02:12 AM   #123
jayswin

Exp:

I also know that Skiba was super serious and skilled when he first joined, but was clearly on coke during interviews and way worse live after the second album he was a part of.

I wonder if Mark and Travis were pissed off that he wasnt doing what it takes to keep a top tier, world known band on top of their game.
Old 10-14-2022, 08:51 AM   #124
BlindMilwaukee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

That's a fair point about maintaining a certain standard on tour. I do remember hearing something about fan speculation with Skiba joining that he would have to clean it up to be in Blink.

Hopefully with Matt back to Alkaline Trio full time we get some more music from them. Their latest Is This Thing Cursed? was really good imo.
BlindMilwaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlindMilwaukee For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2022, 03:25 PM   #125
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

tom wrote a public letter to skiba regarding the swap yesterday . it is a little strange still and I think there is more to it than tom wanted to scooch back in because of mark's cancer . I'm interested to see how they handle songs from california and nine .. will tom learn the parts?

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 10-14-2022 at 03:30 PM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 03:41 PM   #126
BlindMilwaukee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

My guess is they play zero tracks from California and Nine. Which is too bad because I like a few tracks off of each.
Old 10-14-2022, 04:01 PM   #127
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
tom wrote a public letter to skiba regarding the swap yesterday . it is a little strange still and I think there is more to it than tom wanted to scooch back in because of mark's cancer . I'm interested to see how they handle songs from california and nine .. will tom learn the parts?
Tom coming back at some point had been rumoured long before Mark's cancer. Even Mark himself had addressed three years or so ago and said he'd be open to bringing Tom back in at some point.

That was a nice letter, though. Hopefully Matt will respond with some clarity how this all went down. Eventually it'd be cool if they brought him on stage at a show to sing a couple of songs.

Quote:
Hi Matt –

Tom DeLonge here. I wanted to take a minute and say thank you for all that you have done to keep the band alive and thriving in my absence. I think you are enormously talented (I still love to listen to your band to this day). You have always been so kind to me, not only in the press, but also to others. I really noticed. Emotions between the three of us in Blink have always been complicated, but Mark’s cancer really put things in perspective. But to be honest, the band would not even be here today if it were not for your ability to jump in and save the day. So from my heart to yours, thank you for being a member of our band.”

Last edited by jayswin; 10-14-2022 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-14-2022, 04:02 PM   #128
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindMilwaukee View Post
My guess is they play zero tracks from California and Nine. Which is too bad because I like a few tracks off of each.
Yeah, their catalogue is already so big and more well known than those two albums. Plus they're likely going to have a bunch of new songs to play depending on when this new album comes out.

Outside shot at Bored to Death being played due to how massive that hit was, but even that I put at a less than 10% chance.
Old 10-14-2022, 04:05 PM   #129
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

ya half of the songs on California grew on me . a couple from Nine but I just didn't like the lyrics on that album as a whole .. it was too teen friendly

tom coming back with "f***ed her in church" in his first verse really signaled the return of real blink lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2022, 04:08 PM   #130
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
ya half of the songs on California grew on me . a couple from Nine but I just didn't like the lyrics on that album as a whole .. it was too teen friendly

tom coming back with "f***ed her in church" in his first verse really signaled the return of real blink lol
Haha, yeah. Matt did his best, but ultimately Tom was the creative driver of Blink and the reason they dominated the way they did. He drove the band with his catchy riffs, melodic song writing, AND deep, creative, and at times crude lyrics.

That was way too much for a new person to come in and take over. And yet Matt still did a really great job.

Last edited by jayswin; 10-14-2022 at 04:11 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2022, 04:36 PM   #131
BlindMilwaukee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I don't want to get this too far off topic but I'm really hoping John Feldmann (Goldfinger singer/guitar) isn't involved in future Blink albums. He produced both California and Nine and you can definitely tell.

Most of the albums he has been a producer on sound very very similar and he brings in a few guys to help with the writing process. A handful of songs on either album sound very overproduced. I don't like that at all and I think you can really hear/feel the difference he has had on the last 2 albums. My own opinion on that anyways.
Old 10-14-2022, 04:46 PM   #132
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

oh no question . modern pop level of production , but I still think there was a bit of variation in the tracks . los angeles and hungover you were pretty different for blink . others did come off recycled and blended too much

if only we could resurrect Jerry Finn . he was like their fourth member in that enema era and was responsible for rock show and first date existing bc he demanded summer anthems when they wanted to go darker . both songs were allegedly written as FUs to Jerry lol

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 10-14-2022 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-14-2022, 04:51 PM   #133
BlindMilwaukee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Agree 100%. Jerry Finn had a huge impact on a lot of that era of pop-punk.
Old 10-14-2022, 11:27 PM   #134
jayswin

Exp:

I actually really loved Neighbourhoods, thought it was some of their best music.

edit: we may have to meet up for pre game beers before this show.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2022, 10:08 PM   #135
jayswin

Exp:

Wow, glad I didn't wait for the actual Blink 182 sale. Decent resale seats on ticketmaster start at around $550/ticket and go up to $2k-$5500 for floor seats that are behind the pit.
Old 10-18-2022, 08:07 AM   #136
BlindMilwaukee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Holy #### that is insane. I thought my tickets were overpriced. they still are.

Last edited by BlindMilwaukee; 10-18-2022 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-18-2022, 10:06 AM   #137
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

The blink show is dynamic pricing so prices have been crazy.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 10:34 AM   #138
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

"Dynamic" pricing, vomit inducing, they've perfected the rip off with an invented term. Began with service fees, convenience charges, building fees, etc. but now they can inflate all they want.

When I was a kid and hitting every single show within 1,000 km I never imagined a time when I would pass up so many concerts now. Just not worth it.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2022, 12:50 PM   #139
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could count on 1 hand the bands/artists that I would pay $500 to see live. Most of them are dead and the rest aren’t blink 182.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2022, 01:04 PM   #140
BlindMilwaukee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Totally reasonable take. Blink and Rise Against were two of my very favourite bands growing up. But if this show was only one or the other I definitely wouldn't pay what we inevitably did.

Tags
calgary , concerts , western canada