Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2022, 10:38 AM   #121
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I have a memory of the military being used at the Oka crisis in the 90s. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oka_Crisis
That's a bit different. That was a Native Protest and if there is one thing I've learnt it's that you can't let them think they have the right to protest........

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2022, 10:44 AM   #122
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1493279026089103367

I'm sorry, but what does a "peaceful protest" need with weapons? They keep complaining that the police have them around children, but it appears they have them for good reason, and these morons have brought guns and their children to the same place. WTF are they thinking?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 10:45 AM   #123
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Out of curiosity, what has Doug Ford did in this case? Seems like both him and Justin pussyfooted around the situation the same. It’s more the inaction of doing anything that is the problem. Aside from that I wish these guys just communicated better. They should be consistently messaging the reason for the shut downs is to prevent more hospitalizations. Less socializing = less infections = less hospitalizations. Not a hard equation. Seems to be the right wing nuts think this is to fill politician pockets or other motives by piecing together conspiracy nonsense and then slapping freedom on it. So nutty.

Anyway, I hope there are some batons-to-the-balls in order if the police get involved. These guys are anarchists.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2022, 10:47 AM   #124
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1493279790161227779

More info. "'Peaceful". And our worthless premier does nothing, because these are his people.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 10:51 AM   #125
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

#### these Pieces of ####

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2022, 10:53 AM   #126
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I think there's a percentage of these people who are clearly just looking for violent anarchy and have gone beyond reason or lawful protest. I suspect there's going to be more uncovered along the way.

Freedom!
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 10:56 AM   #127
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Kenney is busy reading the CBC, and he is NOT impressed.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2022, 11:09 AM   #128
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Out of curiosity, what has Doug Ford did in this case? Seems like both him and Justin pussyfooted around the situation the same. It’s more the inaction of doing anything that is the problem. Aside from that I wish these guys just communicated better. They should be consistently messaging the reason for the shut downs is to prevent more hospitalizations. Less socializing = less infections = less hospitalizations. Not a hard equation. Seems to be the right wing nuts think this is to fill politician pockets or other motives by piecing together conspiracy nonsense and then slapping freedom on it. So nutty.

Anyway, I hope there are some batons-to-the-balls in order if the police get involved. These guys are anarchists.
I think its more that they didn't do anything and let the protests linger (particularly at the border). Trudeau didn't get high marks either - 66% think he made it worse.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2022, 11:16 AM   #129
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I think its more that they didn't do anything and let the protests linger (particularly at the border). Trudeau didn't get high marks either - 66% think he made it worse.
Provincial breakdown of this is rather hilarious.

Trudeau -67% in Alberta, -66% in Sask, then -53% in Quebec, -38% in Ontario

Alberta gives their worse score outside of Trudeau to Doug Ford. Saskatchewan to Kenny.

Ontario gives their next worse score to Kenney.

Bergen is -26% in Ontario, Quebec and Atlantic Canada. And only -1% in Alberta.

So both Ontario and Alberta think the other premier is screwing it up. And Ontario/Quebec and Atlantic Canada already not big fans of Bergen.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 11:22 AM   #130
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

The reason Trudeau is seeing such high negative scores is because he's getting it from both sides. The people who support the Karen Konvoy hate him already and think he's the reason their precious freedumbs are being infringed upon, and the #RamRanchResistance think he's not doing enough to end the Ottawa occupation.

Last edited by MarchHare; 02-14-2022 at 11:34 AM.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 11:29 AM   #131
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even though they are relatively popular, COVID restrictions are not good politically. You could see that dynamic in our VA governor race. No one is voting for the Democrat because they want covid restrictions, but there was a good number of anti-vax, anti-max, somewhat hippie liberal types that went all in for the republican wanting to get rid of all the mandates.

Making health policy decisions based on popularity and politics is going to turn into a disaster eventually.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 11:40 AM   #132
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1493279026089103367

I'm sorry, but what does a "peaceful protest" need with weapons? They keep complaining that the police have them around children, but it appears they have them for good reason, and these morons have brought guns and their children to the same place. WTF are they thinking?
But were there any reports of the people shoveling sidewalks? When will we get a full and complete picture?
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2022, 11:40 AM   #133
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

*** Looks for in-laws names on leaked donor list.... ***

My reaction when I find their names:

Spoiler!
Old 02-14-2022, 11:41 AM   #134
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
But were there any reports of the people shoveling sidewalks? When will we get a full and complete picture?
“Why isn’t anybody reporting on the guy who picked up timmies for everyone this morning!?”
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2022, 12:01 PM   #135
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Making health policy decisions based on popularity and politics is going to turn into a disaster eventually.
I think we crossed that bridge here a long time ago. Probably when we didn't shut the border to China in early 2020 was the first time, with many more since. But hey, at least now the rule that kids with multiple recent negative tests have to stay home from school when returning from somewhere with less Covid than here is rumored to be going away.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 01:44 PM   #136
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I think there's a percentage of these people who are clearly just looking for violent anarchy and have gone beyond reason or lawful protest. I suspect there's going to be more uncovered along the way.

Freedom!
Absolutely. A lot of these guys are expecting to eventually get paid for it as well, through crowd funding. Any time the left protests something, the right comes out with claims that they are "professional" protestors, meanwhile the Freedumb Convoy is quite literally trying to make a lot of money doing it (although may be failing since the funds keep getting frozen).
Old 02-14-2022, 02:29 PM   #137
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

It sounds like the Emergency Measures Act that will be implemented by Trudeau is going to stir up a lot if issues and resentment from Quebec. This will be interesting to watch.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 02:36 PM   #138
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Absolutely. A lot of these guys are expecting to eventually get paid for it as well, through crowd funding. Any time the left protests something, the right comes out with claims that they are "professional" protestors, meanwhile the Freedumb Convoy is quite literally trying to make a lot of money doing it (although may be failing since the funds keep getting frozen).
I'm fairly confident right-wing populism makes a ton of money for lobbyists, politicians, media pundits, podcasters, political strategists, public sector consultants, law enforcement types, and general pawns of the cause. Things like insurrections, marches, rallies, and convoy protests all feed that beast.

There's a ton to unpack there in terms of culture wars and collateral profits.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 02:43 PM   #139
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
*** Looks for in-laws names on leaked donor list.... ***

My reaction when I find their names:

Spoiler!
No family here, thankfully. I mentioned to my parents I was looking for extended family in there and the reply was "You won't find them in there if it required paying for anything." Hilarious and true.

Unfortunately, I did find the names and e-mail addresses of a couple acquaintances in there, which was really disappointing.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2022, 02:56 PM   #140
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something, something 'a fool and his money...'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: