Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2018, 02:48 PM   #121
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
No, it's $8.99 on Tuesday: https://www.landmarkcinemas.com/show...-country-hills. You don't have to get food.

Yes, I do think every single poster in this thread that is a Star Wars fan will go see this in the theaters. If they don't, they're not a fan.
But if you are a true fan don't you watch it on the Thursday or Friday when it gets released? why are you waiting for cheapo Tuesdays?
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 02:52 PM   #122
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a big Star Wars fan, but I'd also rather watch movies in my basement, so I'll probably be waiting. I have watched the past 2 main entries in theatre but I don't think it is a must for fans if you have a good setup at home.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2018, 03:01 PM   #123
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
But if you are a true fan don't you watch it on the Thursday or Friday when it gets released? why are you waiting for cheapo Tuesdays?
Look, you're the one that said going to the movies was $70, then you changed it to $25, so I gave you a link that showed you could go for $8.99. Don't worry about when I go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm a big Star Wars fan, but I'd also rather watch movies in my basement, so I'll probably be waiting. I have watched the past 2 main entries in theatre but I don't think it is a must for fans if you have a good setup at home.
Well you're more patient than the millions (literally) of other people that will see it in the theater, I guess.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:02 PM   #124
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Look, you're the one that said going to the movies was $70, then you changed it to $25, so I gave you a link that showed you could go for $8.99. Don't worry about when I go.

Well you're more patient than the millions (literally) of other people that will see it in the theater, I guess.
Well not really. I said only the food was $70.You really needed green text for that? Ok fine.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:13 PM   #125
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Ya, I've learned over the years that who really cares if you see stuff the day it comes out. It is going to be the same movie 3 months later. I just try to avoid obvious spoilers, like going into threads here. I'd rather see it in the comfort of my home. Others like instant gratification, which is fine. I'm not sure it makes me less of a fan. Well, maybe less than the cosplayers and the campers but I'm OK with that.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:16 PM   #126
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:

Ya, I've learned over the years that who really cares if you see stuff the day it comes out. It is going to be the same movie 3 months later. I just try to avoid obvious spoilers, like going into threads here. I'd rather see it in the comfort of my home. Others like instant gratification, which is fine. I'm not sure it makes me less of a fan. Well, maybe less than the cosplayers and the campers but I'm OK with that.
Yeah, it's the difficulty of avoiding spoilers that prompts me to go in addition to just enjoying the theater experience. I definitely don't go on day one, but I'm sure I'll see it within the first few weeks.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:38 PM   #127
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is this better to see than a repeat showing of Deadpool 2? Deadpool 2 comes out on the 16th, and this is the 23rd. Donald Glover looks great as Lando, and this could be at the least a by the numbers heist gone wrong movie.
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:29 AM   #128
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The complaint about Star Wars movies being not special anymore and there being too many in a short amount of time is bizarre to me. I remember when Disney bought Lucasfilm or ILM or whatever, all of the comments were OMFG we will have Episodes 7-9! Standalone films! TV shows! It's all happening! Now everyone complains that there are too many. Grass is always greener I guess. I'm personally pumped for all of the movies and have enjoyed all of them for what they are. They are a space soap opera. They aren't the bible that some folks think they deserve.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Misterpants For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2018, 09:42 AM   #129
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
The complaint about Star Wars movies being not special anymore and there being too many in a short amount of time is bizarre to me. I remember when Disney bought Lucasfilm or ILM or whatever, all of the comments were OMFG we will have Episodes 7-9! Standalone films! TV shows! It's all happening! Now everyone complains that there are too many. Grass is always greener I guess. I'm personally pumped for all of the movies and have enjoyed all of them for what they are. They are a space soap opera. They aren't the bible that some folks think they deserve.

Not only that but the reaction seemed to be "Disney will do them justice, get them away from crazy man Lucas and his meddling ways!"

Now its "Evil Disney ruining Star Wars and diluting the product, I'm not even gonna watch anymore star wars movies!"

Grass is greener indeed.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2018, 09:57 AM   #130
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was excited for episodes 7,8 and 9. I took 2 days off work for the Force Awakens. But Disney, the house with no ideas, pretty much just copied the plot from episodes 4 and 5 to a tee. You have all these awesome stories to tell from novels and comics after Return of the Jedi and you go with a stupid reboot?

Lucas really messed up. He should have done 7,8 and 9 instead of doing 1,2 and 3. Dark Empire would have been great for episode 7. and maybe then he would have never sold out to the Mouse. The Mouse destroys.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:09 AM   #131
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

My one concern about this film is comic relief overload with way too many one liners. I hope they don't overdo it.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:14 AM   #132
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still new to Star Wars, never watched as a kid only saw the first 6 before The Force Awakens came out. It's pretty cool that we are getting a new Star Wars movie a year for a while now. Each one is an event film that drives people to the cinema. With fewer and fewer movies being able to do that I embrace anything that drives traffic back into theatres. Do they make them less special because we get them more often yes I suppose but you also make them more accessible. If you don't like what is happening with one movie then you don't have to wait years until the next one which you may like better.

I was Luke warm about this movie but now I'm super excited after seeing this trailer. Even if it turns out to be an absolute turd (which I'm like 99.7% certain it won't be) the whole shared experience these past months with everyone on the internet has been exciting. The anticipation, the wondering, the speculation to me this build up part is almost as fun as the movie it's self.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:16 AM   #133
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

No matter how bad the Disney stories are, they will never be "adding alien sexy flutesnoot singer to ROJ" bad.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:32 AM   #134
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
No matter how bad the Disney stories are, they will never be "adding alien sexy flutesnoot singer to ROJ" bad.
Spoiler!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2018, 10:37 AM   #135
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Spoiler!
C'mon, that scene was genius. Answers the question everyone had from Episode IV of what the hell kinda animal produces blue milk. It also shows a softness to Luke's character in that even a disgruntled Jedi wants the comforts of his childhood. Straight from the teat was a little weird but hey, who am I to judge what happens in a galaxy far far away.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:43 AM   #136
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was excited for episodes 7,8 and 9. I took 2 days off work for the Force Awakens. But Disney, the house with no ideas, pretty much just copied the plot from episodes 4 and 5 to a tee. You have all these awesome stories to tell from novels and comics after Return of the Jedi and you go with a stupid reboot?

Lucas really messed up. He should have done 7,8 and 9 instead of doing 1,2 and 3. Dark Empire would have been great for episode 7. and maybe then he would have never sold out to the Mouse. The Mouse destroys.
And this right here is the biggest problem the Star Wars franchise has ran into with "fans".

"They didn't do exactly what I hoped they would do with the story, and got rid of extended universe stuff I liked, so now I'm a bit bitter about it."
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:47 AM   #137
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
And this right here is the biggest problem the Star Wars franchise has ran into with "fans".

"They didn't do exactly what I hoped they would do with the story, and got rid of extended universe stuff I liked, so now I'm a bit bitter about it."
Yeah, when The Onion starts riffing on you, you know you're being a tit.

Fans Excited As ‘Solo’ Trailer Sheds Light On Specifically How It Will Suck
Old 04-10-2018, 11:05 AM   #138
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

You and I will never agree about Dark Empire, I thought it was one of the worst crafted tales of the Legends EU.

Its funny, because I thought that the legends EU stories that took place after ROTJ were pretty bad, overly reliant on the force to solve every problem, basically had jobber villains who's job was to fumble around until either Luke discovered a new Force Power to dispatch him, or simply ram a light sabre through his or her chest.

The best Legends EU stories actually were written to fit in between ROTS and ANH and frankly between AOTC and ROTS. Some of the Old republic stuff was great too.

I will state that the Disney books on a whole have just been a terrible level of read. the Aftermath books were hard to get through.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:54 AM   #139
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
You and I will never agree about Dark Empire, I thought it was one of the worst crafted tales of the Legends EU.

Its funny, because I thought that the legends EU stories that took place after ROTJ were pretty bad, overly reliant on the force to solve every problem, basically had jobber villains who's job was to fumble around until either Luke discovered a new Force Power to dispatch him, or simply ram a light sabre through his or her chest.

The best Legends EU stories actually were written to fit in between ROTS and ANH and frankly between AOTC and ROTS. Some of the Old republic stuff was great too.

I will state that the Disney books on a whole have just been a terrible level of read. the Aftermath books were hard to get through.
Yeah that's the thing though. The DISNEY books have been terrible. Maybe Disney isn't trying to release Chaucer level literature. Maybe they are shooting for more of a Gordan Korman vibe to appeal to their demographic.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:34 PM   #140
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Hold up. Are you saying Walt Disney's demographic for their space movies and merchandise is NOT 50-year-old men? Now I've heard it all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: