Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #121
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Do the ranked games take a hour like HoN?

I ended up just playing Mid Wars non stop because the ranked games were so long/boring. I don't want to play for 45 minutes to lose, this is why I stopped playing Healer/DPS in WoW arena :P

What's an average length for a ranked match?
Old 10-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #122
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Do the ranked games take a hour like HoN?

I ended up just playing Mid Wars non stop because the ranked games were so long/boring. I don't want to play for 45 minutes to lose, this is why I stopped playing Healer/DPS in WoW arena :P

What's an average length for a ranked match?
Probably an average of 30-40 minutes. About 1/6-7 games would be a 20 minute surrender.

You still will play those 45 minute + games, but I wouldn't say those are the norm.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:59 AM   #123
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Oh man I love skarner jungle.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:00 AM   #124
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Oh man I love skarner jungle.
Skarner is my go to jungler right now. If you rush Shurelia's Reverie on him, it is one of the scariest things you see coming into your lane.

I used to build him Tri-Force, but I changed to Wits End/Mercs/Shurelias/Randuins/Aegis. Such a powerful build.

I used to play a lot of Jungle Nautilus and had good success with him, but it was either the enemy surrenders @ 20 minutes, or we lose late game with him now after the nerfs. Words cannot describe how bad his late game team fights are aside from his ultimate to initiate, especially if you're the primary tank character.

That was also "pre" pulsefire Ezreal, which has now effectively stopped Nautilus from ganking botlane. This mobility creep stuff isn't a ton of fun to deal with as a Jungler.

Anyways - the changes to s3 Jungle will be very interesting.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaramonLS For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #125
Ethaniel
Scoring Winger

Exp:

League of Legends Player caught Alt-Tabbing while live streaming to Fap.

NSFW(potential) - http://kotaku.com/5952742/if-youre-s...f-on-camera-ok

http://www.youtube.com/user/Kryllyk
http://www.twitch.tv/kryllyk

Playing games on YouTube & Livestreaming on Twitch.tv Check it out!
Minecraft and more!
Ethaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #126
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
This is a pretty common occurance. Lanes can snowball early advantages and win games outright and there isn't a lot you can do about it. That is one reason why players rage so hard.
I would have imagined this be more common in DoTA and HoN due to the monetary loss that you get for dying. Does the faster paced game make early death worse in LoL?

On a side note, has anybody ever set up a joke team of Gangplank, Amumu, Ziggs, Katarina, and Nunu?

Last edited by kirant; 10-18-2012 at 03:59 PM.
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #127
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
I would have imagined this be more common in DoTA and HoN due to the monetary loss that you get for dying. Does the faster paced game make early death worse in LoL?
In some ways, yes. Basically when you die, your opponent will get around 300 gold, get to kill more minions (likely 150-200 gold advantage), while you lose out on those minions (usually 2 waves) (killed by your tower). It also allows enemies to get major objectives (dragons, 190 gold or Towers 150 gold).

Going down 2-3 kills will mean a very difficult lane. Going down 5 kills is almost impossible to recover from. Certain lanes can snowball harder than other lanes. Bottom lane (AD carries) - if you are down 5 kills, the other person is finishing their second major item, while you are finish your first. AD carries actually multiply their effectiveness with items because of their synergy (an AD carry with 2 items is far stronger than one with one major item, probably 2.5x stronger).

Mid lane is easier to recover from getting beat down, top not so much because it usually has bruisers (think about 2 guys punching eachother in the face, the one who is stronger usually wins), but sometimes it is harder to secure kills on bruisers.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:46 AM   #128
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Hah I was running Naut jungle for a long time, man that nerf makes me so sad.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #129
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Hah I was running Naut jungle for a long time, man that nerf makes me so sad.
Nautilus will have to be buffed soon - already he is losing traction in the S2 jungle and with the supposed buffs to power in the jungle in S3, he will be all but dead. He barely makes his first clear alive with Boots / 3 an a average leash.

He really can't lane properly. His last hitting is one of the worst things ever developed (probably on purpose), and he can't duel properly either.

The *only* tool he has is his ganking. That is it. You can beat Nautilus by popping his shield and proceeding to ignore him because he has the lowest base attack speed in the game and some of the worst base stats (AD, Armor and resist).

The S3 jungle concept has me really excited as I think we are going to see more 'carry' Junglers be viable (since creep toughness is increased and so is the gold you get from farming camps).
Old 10-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #130
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Yeah its going to be very exciting, I usually jungle so like you am very much looking forward to new challenges.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #131
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
Ashe is pretty good. She isn't the best carry at the moment (Ezreal is), but is always one of the decent ones. As long as you can hit your arrow, there is always a place for a decent Ashe.

Teemo is really strong at the moment if you are building him AP. Like incredibly strong. They recently buffed his AP ratios by a good margin - he works best if you rush a DFG. With your blinding shot, you can burst them down extremely fast. And of course, you're the single most annoying champ in League of Legends because of those damned shrooms.

Kavy, what level are you?
ha sorry, left thread!

I am currently 14

FlawedSuperman
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:17 PM   #132
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah its going to be very exciting, I usually jungle so like you am very much looking forward to new challenges.
I haven't jungled. In a single game.

I should try. Where do you start?
Old 10-19-2012, 11:53 PM   #133
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
I haven't jungled. In a single game.

I should try. Where do you start?
Most Junglers (80%) start blue buff, especially if you're a jungler who relies on using mana. You shouldn't jungle until you hit level 20 and have T3 Armor Yellow runes. Otherwise it becomes very hard. Some junglers need other stuff like attack speed reds as well.

Junglers like Lee Sin, Shyvana and Dr. Mundo can start red.

General blue path is as follows -

1) 3 Wolves camp @ 1:40 - get your teammates to give you pokes on the wolves to help kill them.
2) Blue Buff @ 1:55 - get a leash from your team. Some junglers need a hard leash (lots of damage to the big golem), but most can survive with just a small single hit leash from your mid. Use your smite on the Blue to kill it. Do this when your teammates are no longer the buff so they don't indirectly leech any XP. You will be partway into level 2 by this point.
3) 4 Wraiths camp - Kill them.
4) 3 Wolves camp - you will hit level 3 off this camp. You may need to wait about 5 seconds or so (depending on your jungler) for them to spawn
5) Red Buff - Your smite will now be back up and you can kill this fairly easily.
6) 4 Wraiths or Double Golems - you will hit level 4 off this camp and can usually take your primary ganking skill with this.

This is probably the most basic and common path. One of the safest as well as you will have a lot of health if you started with Boots / 3 potions. But it can be predicted by the opposing jungler and will give the enemy a fairly predictable time you will be ganking. Good path for a beginner, since no one will be timing your routes or trying to counter jungle you very often (unless you see a Shaco).

Another variation of that path if you have competent teammates (this is useful if you think someone is going to be invading you early):

Wolves
Blue Buff (Get a very HARD leash so you don't need to use smite)
Wraiths
Red Buff

This is the fastest path to Level 3 and allows you to be aggressive then. Go and gank a lane immediately with this path.

That should be enough to get you started.

I recommend using someone like Nunu, Warwick, Udyr or Cho'Gath to start out. Those ones are pretty easy to get started with and everyone apart has some good tankiness early on to survive the jungle.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:58 AM   #134
BlAcKNoVa
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I tried out some Nasus in the jungle today. I wasn't able to gank as often as I'd like due to his slow runspeed, but when you get that Wither on someone when they're deep in lane, bye bye! Probably not something I'd do quite a lot though. It was really just expermental, but it did work out in the end (2 wins).

With that said, I think I'll stick with Maokai and Hecarim as my main jungles. Can't wait for the Halloween skins for these two.
BlAcKNoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #135
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Haha Nasus jungle is pretty trolly. His biggest problem is that his start is soooooo slow. Like terrible slow. He will not get back in the game if he falls behind.

And of course he falls behind without farming his Q. Not saying it isn't fun though, those wither ganks are absolutely insane.

He is actually another one that will supposedly be more viable for S3 though, which remains to be seen.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:20 PM   #136
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nocturne is where it's at in the jungle. His ultimate combined with the fear is awesome.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #137
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

At work, alone in my cubical on a Saturday, and I can't get this friggin game out of my mind....
Old 10-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #138
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I saw it for the first time last night. We were playing DnD at a buddy's office and one of the developers was staying late to play some matches before going home. It looked kind of fun but I've heard horror stories about new players getting kicked and roasted.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:34 AM   #139
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
I saw it for the first time last night. We were playing DnD at a buddy's office and one of the developers was staying late to play some matches before going home. It looked kind of fun but I've heard horror stories about new players getting kicked and roasted.
Well, I had played DOTA, but I was new. It isn't that hard, and just stick to buying the reccomanded items to start.

Also, if people ever raged on me, simple response - this is a level 3 (or whatever low level your at), of course I suck and am a newb, everyone here is.

No one ever really responded to that. Its not your fault people make multiple accounts and start off at a low level again.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #140
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

kk - I've made an account and am downloading it now. Thanks for the heads up.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote