Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2020, 10:28 AM   #121
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sure, and if that's all it takes for Bennett to take some steps then for the love of god keep playing him with those line mates. Don't keep him and then stick him back in a situation he keeps failing miserably in.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2020, 10:34 AM   #122
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I love what Bennett brings in the playoffs but the Flames need players that can bring it in the regular season as well.
The Flames need players who can bring it in the playoffs way more than players who simply bring it in the season.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2020, 10:53 AM   #123
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
He was the best Flames forward. Hard to believe he was so good. Really nice to see him in another series before having to commit to him. Lucky he isn't up for arbitration as his current comparable player on the Flames are making 7 M and looking at a 10M offer sheet.

Now the Flames core is going to be broken up ... but because of cap rather than needing to change the mix.
A little early in the day to be this drunk...
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2020, 10:56 AM   #124
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He was the best Flames forward. Hard to believe he was so good. Really nice to see him in another series before having to commit to him. Lucky he isn't up for arbitration as his current comparable player on the Flames are making 7 M and looking at a 10M offer sheet.

Now the Flames core is going to be broken up ... but because of cap rather than needing to change the mix.
Wtf
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:57 AM   #125
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

It's like y'all are reading a ricardo post for the first time.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:58 AM   #126
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
A little early in the day to be this drunk...
Wake and bake baby.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:02 AM   #127
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
It's like y'all are reading a ricardo post for the first time.
But I need to know Bennetts Grit factor if I am truly going to evaluate him.

Was is RGF he called it?
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:33 AM   #128
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's be honest, if in a bizzaro world Bennett was an RFA and someone offer-sheeted him 10M you take the two 1st, the second, and the 3rd. Sounds like something Chia would do.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2020, 11:40 AM   #129
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post

Bennett even seemed to be making some smart offensive plays, as his confidence grew. Lucic was also driving the net. Lucic was like a pitbull sticking up for the rest of the team. It's just accepted that 99% of the players in the league cannot stand up in a fight against him. His presence alone makes such a difference.
Hockey fight fans might finally get to see Lucic vs Reaves in the first round. The “heavyweight showdown in ####town”. That fight will happen right off the bat if it’s CGY/LV.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:51 AM   #130
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
People talking about selling high on Bennett after this performance.

Without this performance, the Flames would likely be going to a game 5, or would already be eliminated by a Jets team without it's two biggest names and a porous defence and have failed to make the playoffs.

Lucic-Bennett-Dube is the third line you roll with next season. No question.

Honestly if Bennett and Dube can keep this up, forget third line.. Tkachuk/Bennett/Dube second line might be a thing worth trying.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:52 AM   #131
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Expose Backlund??? I think that’s just madness. He was the best center in this series IMO.

I think since the Flames got away with just giving up a UFA Derek Engelland last time around, I wouldn’t be surprised if Treliving swung a deal with Seattle to protect a few guys.
Ya I think one of Bennett, Dube and Mangiapane will be left unprotected and Treliving will have make a deal to convince Seattle to take Kylington instead.

That's how I think it's going to play out anyways.
BigErnSalute_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:06 PM   #132
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Geezus. Flames just win a playoff (sort of) series and we're talking about selling high on someone? Can we enjoy the win and see how the playoffs shake out? Pretty sure players can't be traded right now.

Maybe Bennett comes down to earth and there's no real "high".

Or maybe he keeps playing like this for the duration of the playoffs.

I think I'd like whether either of these play out before beginning trade negotiations on the guy.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2020, 12:42 PM   #133
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Expose Backlund??? I think that’s just madness. He was the best center in this series IMO.

I think since the Flames got away with just giving up a UFA Derek Engelland last time around, I wouldn’t be surprised if Treliving swung a deal with Seattle to protect a few guys.
Backlund is probably my favourite Flame of the post Iginla era... but I think the thought with Backlund is it might be getting close to time to cut ties anyways.

When the expansion draft comes around he will be 32 years old, and will still have 3 year at $5.35M on his contract that takes him to him being 35.

It will depend on what the roster looks like at the time anyways but if over the next 12 months guys like Mangiapane, Dube, Bennett (maybe Gawdin , Phillips, Pelletier, Zavgorodiy) start to take bigger roles on the roster then I think you can look at not protecting Backlund and you might need that cap space anyways.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:51 PM   #134
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Backlund is probably my favourite Flame of the post Iginla era... but I think the thought with Backlund is it might be getting close to time to cut ties anyways.

When the expansion draft comes around he will be 32 years old, and will still have 3 year at $5.35M on his contract that takes him to him being 35.

It will depend on what the roster looks like at the time anyways but if over the next 12 months guys like Mangiapane, Dube, Bennett (maybe Gawdin , Phillips, Pelletier, Zavgorodiy) start to take bigger roles on the roster then I think you can look at not protecting Backlund and you might need that cap space anyways.
We need to re-evaluate at the end of next season.

A lot can change but I defiantly don’t want to lose Mangiapane or Dube and I’ve always been one to preach patience with Bennett (he is younger than Mangiapane) so if it’s me I expose the older player on a big contract.

We may sign Hall or make other moves that can throw a wrench in the whole thing too tho.

Time will tell.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:30 PM   #135
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yea, lets trade one of the few guys we can rely on to "bring it" each and every game in the Playoffs who's also arguably been the Flames' best player every Playoff series.

Sounds like a great way to build a Cup-caliber team.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:18 PM   #136
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
So much stupid in one post.

PLEASE someone give us a $10M offer sheet on Sam Bennett. On ANY of our players. We need the draft picks.
Where did you come up with this $10M offer sheet concept? Was Toilet paper or a bidet involved?

I said that Bennett would be in a very good position in arbitration as he just had a better series than Tkachuk, who the Flames rolled out the 9-10 million qualifying offer for 2022. And Tkachuk had a good series.

Right now who would be the Flames playoff MVP? Bennett? Talbot? Maybe Backlund?
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:56 PM   #137
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Where did you come up with this $10M offer sheet concept? Was Toilet paper or a bidet involved?

I said that Bennett would be in a very good position in arbitration as he just had a better series than Tkachuk, who the Flames rolled out the 9-10 million qualifying offer for 2022. And Tkachuk had a good series.

Right now who would be the Flames playoff MVP? Bennett? Talbot? Maybe Backlund?
You said it would majorly effect his arbitration case if his contract was up. So much so it would kill our cap situation. You know exactly what you were suggesting and it was ridiculous.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:59 PM   #138
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

No arbitrator is going to award based on 4 games, no matter how good he was in those 4 games.
Come on.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:11 PM   #139
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
You are the one that came up with the offer-sheet concept, and not going to lie, I agree a load of #### was involved.

You said that Bennett comparison is akin to a player making 7M and looking for a 10M offsheet. Realistically, Ferland would probably be a better comparable.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 06:44 AM   #140
Snapshot
Draft Pick

Quote:

Wat?
Snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
irrational hate , sammy benzo