Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 08:19 PM   #13941
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It would be pretty special if he ended up in Edmonton.
Old 06-20-2021, 08:19 PM   #13942
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trading for OEL only makes sense if the Coyotes are giving up two+ 1st rounders in return and your team is rebuilding.

Then in 3-4 years, you hope he generates a career ending allergy to his equipment, or you catch him with oxycontin.
Old 06-20-2021, 08:33 PM   #13943
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Trading for OEL only makes sense if the Coyotes are giving up two+ 1st rounders in return and your team is rebuilding.

Then in 3-4 years, you hope he generates a career ending allergy to his equipment, or you catch him with oxycontin.
So you think he is going to Chicago or LA?
Old 06-20-2021, 08:52 PM   #13944
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

We’re going to miss out on Jack Eichel, lose Giordano to Seattle, and trade for OEL to replace him aren’t we?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2021, 06:44 AM   #13945
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
We’re going to miss out on Jack Eichel, lose Giordano to Seattle, and trade for OEL to replace him aren’t we?
We know how Treliving covets defensemen and the Flames were supposedly sniffing around OEL last offseason so it can't be disregarded that the Flames may be a player. Bringing in OEL would be a feather in the cap of Treliving and Maloney in their pursuit of turning the Flames into the Coyotes North. Our only hope is that Darryl isn't a fan of the player.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:47 AM   #13946
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We’re going to miss out on Jack Eichel,
"Missing out" on Jack Eichel may be a blessing. The Flames don't have the assets to be chasing a guy that is not a 10 year solution to the problems that plague the team. Even if the Flames managed to swing a deal for Eichel, he is here for five years. Based on what we would be giving up to get him, we would be no better than Buffalo currently is, and arguably worse. Missing out on Eichel may be a blessing.

Quote:
lose Giordano to Seattle,
Not sure that would be a big loss. Giordano is not playing like a $6.75M player. It might be beneficial to see one of our big salaries disappear in expansion. I would prefer it were Lucic, but if we lost Gio I don't think that would be a bad thing.

Quote:
and trade for OEL to replace him aren’t we?
This is the one that scares me. I've been anti-OEL for the past three or four years because he sucks so bad. So many people fell in love with his scoring numbers but he is so bad defensively he is a net drain on the team (see the first guy you mentioned in this post and apply the same concerns to him). There is more to the game than racking up points, and OEL has never bought into that belief. If the Flames do go after him and win out, it will be a dark dark day for the organization. OEL is a disaster of a player and not worth the squeeze. Seems destined to be an Oiler, which means he will likely end up a Flame.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2021, 07:56 AM   #13947
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
T

Of course - I don't think they can get Dach+Boqvist; it's a matter of whether they want to prioritize the blue line for once and how confident they feel in Cozens+Mittelstadt.

Perhaps the simpler way to look at it is:
Dach++ vs. Boqvist+++

CHI definitely has the assets and cap space to do it. Even moreso if they move Toews (to NYR?)
I doubt that Chicago would trade Dach as his cap hit is simply so low compared to Eichel. I doubt that two of Boqvists would get you a Dach. Dach's chances of being a Getzlaf type player is very high. If I was Chicago I would not move Dach alone for Eichel. Eichel has too much risk attached to him, and Chicago is not an Eichel away from competing. Now, if Toews will be on permanent long term injury, and Buffalo will accept a Boqvist plus other prospects players like Kubalik etc.(along with Chicago's 11OA), it might make sense for Chicago, as it improves the team now and doesn't gut their future.

Both Towes and Kane have made it very clear that they have no intention of leaving Chicago. And Chicago has made it very clear they have no intention of trying to move them unless they come to management and request a trade.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:01 AM   #13948
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
"Missing out" on Jack Eichel may be a blessing. The Flames don't have the assets to be chasing a guy that is not a 10 year solution to the problems that plague the team. Even if the Flames managed to swing a deal for Eichel, he is here for five years. Based on what we would be giving up to get him, we would be no better than Buffalo currently is, and arguably worse. Missing out on Eichel may be a blessing.
5 years is a long time. In professional sports, it's difficult to plan for anything more than that. Treliving has always said he wants to ice the best team possible, and Jack Eichel is the best player (known to be) available, and it's not even close. He also addresses a need that needs to be addressed.

This assumption that Jack (or Johnny...or whoever else) won’t sign here are just silly at this stage. The big question mark that has been living in everyone's mind was whether or not Johnny would bolt to Philly at first light...and? Nope. He wants to sign here long-term and play the rest of his career here.

Last edited by ComixZone; 06-21-2021 at 08:18 AM.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:17 AM   #13949
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can pretty much guarantee we’re not getting Eichel.

Can’t guarantee the other two.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:23 AM   #13950
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
I can pretty much guarantee we’re not getting Eichel.

Can’t guarantee the other two.
Based on actual tangible connections or based on a ‘gut’ feeling? Guarantee is a big statement even with ‘pretty much’ preceding it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2021, 08:26 AM   #13951
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Based on actual tangible connections or based on a ‘gut’ feeling? Guarantee is a big statement even with ‘pretty much’ preceding it.
Words don't mean anything anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2021, 08:29 AM   #13952
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post

Not sure that would be a big loss. Giordano is not playing like a $6.75M player. It might be beneficial to see one of our big salaries disappear in expansion. I would prefer it were Lucic, but if we lost Gio I don't think that would be a bad thing.
Giordano had a pretty solid season in most measures. Not sure how to quantify the worth vs $6.75M but most of his numbers showed him to be a solid #2, or lesser #1 so it certainly wasn't out of the range needed to justify it.

But ...

He's 38 and could literally hit a wall at any point. May not be the last year of his contract in Calgary but it could be.

And pretty much guarantees a change to the core and the dressing room if the captain goes and creates cap space.

Love the guy, appreciate what's he's done, but don't give up assets to protect one year of Giordano UNLESS you head more in the rebuild direction and you keep him to move him at the deadline for value.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2021, 08:34 AM   #13953
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Giordano had a pretty solid season in most measures. Not sure how to quantify the worth vs $6.75M but most of his numbers showed him to be a solid #2, or lesser #1 so it certainly wasn't out of the range needed to justify it.

But ...

He's 38 and could literally hit a wall at any point. May not be the last year of his contract in Calgary but it could be.

And pretty much guarantees a change to the core and the dressing room if the captain goes and creates cap space.

Love the guy, appreciate what's he's done, but don't give up assets to protect one year of Giordano UNLESS you head more in the rebuild direction and you keep him to move him at the deadline for value.
That's a bit tricky to pull off and a bit of a gamble no?

You pay assets to keep Gio which are rumored to be ridiculously high to trade him at the deadline?

I'm a little concerned that the value given up to keep him will be greater than the deadline return. Especially since you're gambling big on him not hitting the wall.

And even if he doesn't, is the value even still there to match what you gave up?
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2021, 08:37 AM   #13954
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it even possible to have Seattle pick Gio and then trade him back to us with retention? I’ve made a proposal about that before but wasn’t sure if that was even something you could do.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:39 AM   #13955
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Is it even possible to have Seattle pick Gio and then trade him back to us with retention? I’ve made a proposal about that before but wasn’t sure if that was even something you could do.
Pretty sure that’s not allowed but not 100 percent on it.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:41 AM   #13956
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

But ...

I'd argue last season as "solid" as it may have appeared numbers wise, was more of a wall hit in my mind based on the "eye" test especially early on in the season and towards the very end.

His speed and positioning has taken a huge hit, his awareness at times seemed almost non-existent and it was very clear he cant keep up with the fast pace style any more (rightfully so he's 38).

Tanev's play certainly help shield/hide his flaws, Tanev's season was criminally underrated by most.

I think its time to move on from Gio as your captain and your #1 Defenseman, you leave him exposed without a doubt. If Seattle takes him for a season by all means let him go, you can always retire him a flame later on which I believe they would do.

his 6.75M cap hit for what he brings is not worth it in my opinion, I'm hoping CGY leaves him exposed and Seattle takes him for their Captain next year, it would be win/win for both Franchises.

We need to get younger and faster, certainly the cap space is a huge bonus in this case.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:42 AM   #13957
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
That's a bit tricky to pull off and a bit of a gamble no?

You pay assets to keep Gio which are rumored to be ridiculously high to trade him at the deadline?

I'm a little concerned that the value given up to keep him will be greater than the deadline return. Especially since you're gambling big on him not hitting the wall.

And even if he doesn't, is the value even still there to match what you gave up?
He's a pretty unique player so I'm guessing he doesn't come off that much, especially if he plays with Tanev agian.

So I'd peg his deadline value at a late first, or maybe a 2nd round pick.

So clearly you don't give Seattle a second not to pick him, would be too tight.

If it's a 4th? Maybe you do.

But the bigger risk to me is the Flames are then close (not really in it to win it, but close), hold on to him to see him walk in the summer and lose the 4th rounder anyway (which I guess isn't a huge cost for a gamble).

Can't see the Flames pre planning a down season and a deadline sell off anyway to be honest.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:43 AM   #13958
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Pretty sure that’s not allowed but not 100 percent on it.
I can pretty much guarantee it...pretty much
Old 06-21-2021, 08:45 AM   #13959
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I can pretty much guarantee it...pretty much
Yes! Was hoping I didn’t have to green text it hahaha, cheers Poe!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2021, 08:47 AM   #13960
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't much like the variables in the scenario. Because the Flames will very much likely be in the hunt but not quite in it and lose him for nothing. I mean, it'd be the nail in Trees coffin many ppl want. 5 coaches and lose your decade long top pairing with nothing in return? The story writes itself.
Closed Thread