Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 10:59 AM   #13921
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Looking at on-ice factors only, it's a trade that would make a lot of sense, you are correct. I'd still be hesitant of giving up a young future number 1 defenseman.

But Stone's an RFA for one more year, he could be gone by 2020. And even if he does sign, take a look at RFA players around the league that signed recently like Eichel (10), Draisaitl (8.5), Kuznetzov (7.8) and Johanasen (8). Centers(ish) list so not a direct comparable, but Stone is a point-per-game player (or was this season) with solid defensive abilities. At this point the lowest he should be signing for is 8M. If he's willing to sign for Gaudreau's contract, it's a no brainer but that's probably not the case.

Hamilton@5.75M>Stone@9M
Hamilton@5.75M=Stone@8M
Hamilton@5.75M<Stone@7M
I see what you're saying but we're talking about improving the forward depth, and to get value you'd need to give up value. I like Dougie and would rather not trade him but it kind of makes sense given our defensive depth.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:41 AM   #13922
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Nick Shore has 15 goals in 238 NHL games.

Derek Ryan had 15 goals last season (80 games).

Anyways, I feel like I'm being forced into some Derek Ryan crusade here. Personally, I don't really care if they sign him or not. I just think it's highly likely, and don't think it would hurt anything.

Derek Ryan would not have produced those numbers on the Flames. Ryan got plenty of PP time on the Hurricanes and was cast in a role he would not of had with the Flames. What would Ryan have done on the 4th line, getting 8-10 minutes a game, and no PP time? I suspect those numbers take a substantial hit. Derek Ryan is no answer to any of the questions about what challenges the Flames.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:06 PM   #13923
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Derek Ryan would not have produced those numbers on the Flames. Ryan got plenty of PP time on the Hurricanes and was cast in a role he would not of had with the Flames. What would Ryan have done on the 4th line, getting 8-10 minutes a game, and no PP time? I suspect those numbers take a substantial hit. Derek Ryan is no answer to any of the questions about what challenges the Flames.
Sigh. Please don't spout off unless you do some research first.

7. A grand total of SEVEN of Ryan's 38 points were recorded on the powerplay.

He also had the 8th most powerplay time of anyone on the Hurricanes last year. that includes 1 dman and 7 forwards ahead of him. He didn;t even come close to sniffing out any time on the #1 PP unit.

Also, if a guy that gets 15 goals and 38 points playing 15 minutes per game on the Hurricanes was on the Flames instead and only getting 8-10 minutes per night on the team with probably the WORST bottom six forward group in the NHL last season, then the coached should have been fired. Then he should have been re-hired immediately so that he could be fired again.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:12 PM   #13924
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
So we give him Brouwers time from this year, surely he'd be able to maintain his 8 PP points in that case
Old 06-12-2018, 12:16 PM   #13925
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is the fascination with trading Hamilton? He's 24, he's played 423 NHL games, and he's had four 40+ point seasons. He plays on the top pairing and is one of the most effective players in the game. He's the best thing Treliving has ever done. Nobody can say Hamilton hasn't earned his money every year he's been here. It took three months for his genius head coach to figure out he belonged on the #1PP - otherwise he could have had a look at 60 points.

The captain, and one of the best defensemen in the game, didn't have a season as good as Dougie until he was 27, and he wasn't really Gio until three years after that.

Yet we're trading Dougie Hamilton, who can anchor the blue line for the next ten years, because....

This is where some of you lose me.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2018, 12:18 PM   #13926
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^The main some folks bring up trading Hamilton is because we really need to move a Dman for help up front, and of all our Dmen he would easily bring back the highest return.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:23 PM   #13927
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
^^The main some folks bring up trading Hamilton is because we really need to move a Dman for help up front, and of all our Dmen he would easily bring back the highest return.
But also leave the biggest hole.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2018, 12:28 PM   #13928
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean yeah, Hamilton is a franchise defenseman. Teams are going to give up a ton for that. But I don't see how trading a 24 year old franchise defenseman is anything but us trading down. Especially when we have Brodie.

The free agent market for defensemen this summer is drek. Whoever doesn't get a Karlsson/Carlson better love Mike Green or Jack Johnson. Treliving can parley Brodie into someone to play with Monahan and Gaudreau.

The only reason to trade Hamilton is if you're rebuilding. If you trade Dougie, you may as well trade Johnny.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2018, 12:48 PM   #13929
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hamilton is not a franchise Dman. He doesn’t even kill penalties. He is an extremely good top pairing Dman that has fantastic offensive abilities he also is fantastic at driving possession.

Like I have said before for me there is just something not right with that guy. I think it stems from the rumors he forced the Flames to acquire his brother and that was a reason he wanted out of Boston. I don’t like how he handled the media when the Coyotes did the Flames a favor by claiming Freddie off waivers.

Most of all I think the Flames have some great prospects on the blueline and sooner than later Andersson and/or Fox will be able to replace the offense from the back end. Kylington also had a very impressive offensive season in the AHL last year.

The Flames could shuffle the deck and trade Brodie for a 28-31 year old with 1-2 years left on his deal or they could potentially trade Dougie for a guy that could be on the team for the next decade. I don’t think Dougie is a leader so I don’t think he will ever be a franchise Dman. If there is potential to get a superstar forward in return I hope the Flames look at it. By no means should the Flames give him away as I agree acquiring him has been Treliving’s best move by far as GM.

I personally think they should shop both Brodie and Dougie and make the deal that improves the Flames the most this year and for the next 5+ years as well
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2018, 02:06 PM   #13930
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think that's one of the reasons. I also think there's a bunch of posters who think:

a. He's soft and lazy and error/penalty prone.
b. He's a Treliving trade and they don't like Treliving.
c. He has a bad attitude like they said in Boston.
d. All of the above.

FTR I am not one of those posters. I think he appears to not try hard because he is so smooth on his skates. I think his penalties are a mixed bag - some bad, some good, some accidental. And I think he he's got the tools to be a number one and the age to become one at some point. he's a great defenceman already, with upside.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:15 PM   #13931
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Hamilton is not a franchise Dman. He doesn’t even kill penalties...
Find me a trade that makes the Flames better over the next 5+ years than having Dougie Hamilton on the roster.

You seem to be putting a lot of faith in Fox, Kylington, Andersson and Valimaki - even though there's a combined 12 NHL games between the 4 of them (and 0 points).

You saying he's not a franchise defenceman because two bad coaches, who had him at ages 22, 23, and 24 didn't use him on the PK doesn't mean an awful lot to me. One of those coaches hasn't been in the NHL since we fired him, and the other one just put together two years so filled with boneheaded player utilization that he's actually found his way onto the bench of the Edmonton (ha) Oilers (ha). The latter didn't even put him on the 1st PP unit halfway through the season in 17/18, and Hamilton still finished 1st overall in goals scored by a defenceman.

The Flames playing Dougie Hamilton more is one of the ways they can improve their team today, tomorrow, and 5+ years from now.

Last edited by ComixZone; 06-12-2018 at 02:18 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2018, 02:26 PM   #13932
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Find me a trade that makes the Flames better over the next 5+ years than having Dougie Hamilton on the roster.

You seem to be putting a lot of faith in Fox, Kylington, Andersson and Valimaki - even though there's a combined 12 NHL games between the 4 of them (and 0 points).

You saying he's not a franchise defenceman because two bad coaches, who had him at ages 22, 23, and 24 didn't use him on the PK doesn't mean an awful lot to me. One of those coaches hasn't been in the NHL since we fired him, and the other one just put together two years so filled with boneheaded player utilization that he's actually found his way onto the bench of the Edmonton (ha) Oilers (ha). The latter didn't even put him on the 1st PP unit halfway through the season.

The Flames playing Dougie Hamilton more is one of the ways they can improve their team today, tomorrow, and 5+ years from now.
I have said countless times that I would love to land Nylander+pick or Marner straight up. Dougie is on his way to $8-10M in 3 years. Nylander can likely be signed for 6-7 years at 6.5-7M

I have faith in the prospects and I have faith in Gio-Brodie-Hamonic.

I have lost faith in Bennett, Lazar (the rest of the 13 draft picks with the exception of Monahan).

If Bennett was what we thought I don’t think the need for another core forward in the Tkachuk, Monahan, Gaudreau age range wouldn’t be as needed. I think that is a need for the Flames. I definitely am targeting a player 25 or younger thst can help the PP and ultimately pair with Tkachuk (or Gaudreau) to form a second top end scoring line.

I find it telling thst he doesn’t get the trust of coaches to penalty kill. Not saying he won’t become a penalty killer one day either. While I have been in the vocal minorty that I feel the Flames can afford to move on from Hamilton (for the right price) I don’t dislike him as a player and I do think he is highly effective.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2018, 03:17 PM   #13933
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Marner and at least Toronto's first and second at a minimum for Hamilton then try and move up in the draft to snag Chuckys bro.... At the end of the day anyone can be traded for the right price. People complaining about wanting to trade Hamilton should realize it has to be a BENEFIT and a home run trade. No one here is advocating a trade that is anything but a home run.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 442scotty For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2018, 03:22 PM   #13934
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I have said countless times that I would love to land Nylander+pick or Marner straight up. Dougie is on his way to $8-10M in 3 years. Nylander can likely be signed for 6-7 years at 6.5-7M
Wait - you said you wanted a superstar forward.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:25 PM   #13935
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

If, huge if, the Flames move Hamilton it would be for a 1B centre. Not a winger. Not picks. (IMO)
Old 06-12-2018, 03:34 PM   #13936
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
Marner and at least Toronto's first and second at a minimum for Hamilton then try and move up in the draft to snag Chuckys bro.... At the end of the day anyone can be traded for the right price. People complaining about wanting to trade Hamilton should realize it has to be a BENEFIT and a home run trade. No one here is advocating a trade that is anything but a home run.
I am not for trading Hamilton but you are not getting Marner plus a 1st and a 2nd.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:36 PM   #13937
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Wait - you said you wanted a superstar forward.
You don't think Marner will be a Superstar forward? I will be willing to bet he will be.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2018, 03:37 PM   #13938
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
You don't think Marner will be a Superstar forward? I will be willing to bet he will be.
Maybe. You'd trade a current star defenceman for a maybe star winger?
Old 06-12-2018, 03:44 PM   #13939
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel the most ideal superstar forward to get for Dougie would be Kucherov but I doubt Tampa would consider it (he is due a huge pay raise next summer). Marner is only 21 and has flirted with 70pts in his first 2 years and looks every bit like a Gaudreau/Kane style winger. The fact he has proved chemistry with Tkachuk also makes him a top target. Nylander is a right shot wing thst has played centre and may be converted to centre at some point. For Nylander I would want the Leafs 1st in the deal as well. Marner I would gladly do that deal straight up. I want young, proven, long term pieces if we trade Dougie.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:13 PM   #13940
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Maybe. You'd trade a current star defenceman for a maybe star winger?
I wouldn’t do that deal... but there is no “maybe” in how Marners career is going to go. The kid is the real deal.
Closed Thread