Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2024, 09:53 AM   #13921
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverKast View Post
I hate hearing people tell me that they are allowed to deduct all sorts of things when they file taxes because so and so does it. Sure you can put whatever you want on your return, doesn't mean it's actually allowable. It's just waiting for CRA to come audit you is all.
I gripe about this quite frequently. In Accounting Circles its known as "A&W Breakfast Advice."

Whether it happens over a breakfast sandwich, coffee, beers or shooting the breeze with buddies or co-workers this advice is usually terrible.

I could write you a laundry-list of some of the dumbass things people have done or tried to write off, from Hot Tubs (although technically that worked...once) Pets as 'dependents' and that doesnt even get into applying for benefits during COVID which was pretty much an open scam-a-travaganza.

My favourite was a client who applied for CERB because his buddies at breakfast and coffee were all doing it and told him he should too!

And then his bewilderment as to why CRA wants him to pay it back?!?

To which: "Dude...CERB was to help people afford to stay home if they were sick or just couldn't work as a way to supplement lost income.

You have been retired so long you're collecting a pension from AGT! You didnt lose any income and as such weren't supposed to claim that."

Yeah but John, Bill and Don all did it and told me to!

I. DGAF.

Then things like: "I'm not Overtime anymore, they just take it all away in Taxes and its just not worth it!!"

You dont understand how this work.

And THEN: "Well I called CRA and they said I could!!"

"O really? Who did you talk to? The first person who picked up the phone? Thats not an Accountant. Thats the receptionist. Their job is to answer the phone. And then do whatever it takes to get you to hang up. They dont know Jack about accounting much less taxes. Nothing. Those are essentially 'cash-corner street-people' who can mildly speak English (this isnt a given) and can physically pick up the receiver of a telephone."

And whats more? They can tell you ANYTHING THEY WANT. If its wrong? You're the one on the hook for it. What're you going to do about it? Do you know who that was on the phone? Nope? Neither does anyone else and whats more they dont care.

The Government did a study about 5 years ago where they found that CRA only answers about 30% of the calls they get and of those calls that they did answer they gave incorrect information about half the time.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 10:15 AM   #13922
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
And whats more? They can tell you ANYTHING THEY WANT. If its wrong? You're the one on the hook for it. What're you going to do about it? Do you know who that was on the phone? Nope? Neither does anyone else and whats more they dont care.

The Government did a study about 5 years ago where they found that CRA only answers about 30% of the calls they get and of those calls that they did answer they gave incorrect information about half the time.
There’s similar problems with employment standards although the running joke for them is if you call 3 times and speak to 3 different people you’ll get 3 different answers. So I guess you should count your blessings if the CRA are batting .500
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 10:22 AM   #13923
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

The risk/reward of an audit seems to be pretty high so I assume that’s why people just kind of wing it. Like, what’s the issue, you don’t pay taxes… they maybe but probably don’t audit you… and then you have to pay those taxes that you were supposed to pay?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 10:25 AM   #13924
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not only the taxes, but they tack on interest, so if it was something from a few years ago or longer it could be quite pricey.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 10:51 AM   #13925
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverKast View Post
I hate hearing people tell me that they are allowed to deduct all sorts of things when they file taxes because so and so does it. Sure you can put whatever you want on your return, doesn't mean it's actually allowable. It's just waiting for CRA to come audit you is all.
The CRA are also morons when it comes to what to audit as well.

A few years ago, I claimed two massive deductions of approximately equal amounts...one was a medical expense (fully supported by receipts), one was a loss on a rental property which was previously my principal residence, and required a lot more judgment and analysis - easy pickings for the CRA. They only audited the medical expenses.

I get lots of people get medical expenses wrong so they audit those almost automatically, but it really seemed like a miss for the to not audit the other thing at the same time.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 11:35 AM   #13926
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
The CRA are also morons when it comes to what to audit as well.

A few years ago, I claimed two massive deductions of approximately equal amounts...one was a medical expense (fully supported by receipts), one was a loss on a rental property which was previously my principal residence, and required a lot more judgment and analysis - easy pickings for the CRA. They only audited the medical expenses.

I get lots of people get medical expenses wrong so they audit those almost automatically, but it really seemed like a miss for the to not audit the other thing at the same time.

There is a difference here. Medical expenses weren't actually audited they were reviewed which is done by a low level employee.

Your rental loss would require and actual auditor to review and would be a formal audit.
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cSpooge For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 12:07 PM   #13927
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
What people also don't understand is that there's hundreds of ways to file your taxes correctly/strategize for tax purposes. It sometimes depends on your situation. The answer is always "it depends". What many other people also don't seem to understand is that accountants often deals with rules and law. People think accountants primarily deal with numbers. Actually the classification is more important than the number. This is completely different than doing something that is completely wrong. Also, what some people can do for tax purposes, others cannot.

Some clients though... I've basically distilled it down to, "You can try and do whatever you want. It doesn't mean I will be helping you do it." The business relationship ceased when they actually tried to do those crazy things.
You are an accountant as well? It all falls into place!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Titan2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 01:24 PM   #13928
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSpooge View Post
There is a difference here. Medical expenses weren't actually audited they were reviewed which is done by a low level employee.

Your rental loss would require and actual auditor to review and would be a formal audit.
Yeah, this. The trick with medical expenses is determining the 'Net Amount.' Which is the 'out-of-pocket' amount after potentially several levels of coverage.

Ironically, while you have to be thorough, sometimes sifting through mountains of Medical expenses can be harder than going through a Rental schedule.

In a rental your expenses are what they are, with medical you could get someone claiming an expense without showing you the insurance re-imbursement and now you've over-stated an expense.

Whereas with a Rental. Your Property Taxes are what they are, your Mortgage Lender sends you a statement, its usually very clear for the most part.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-27-2024, 02:14 PM   #13929
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Where was this? I was looking at going on a date recently and thought we would do dinner, bowling and a movie or something. I was making sure that the bowling alley was open and wen to make a reso. I saw it was like $65 an hour and was stunned.

I recall a few years ago we would go with friends and we would pay for a few games and be done with it. It wasn't expensive. Now it seems oddly expensive
Splitsville (formerly Mountainview in Glamorgan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
I don't know, I don't think anyone is getting rich in having a bowling alley.

$75 for the hour. Unless you are having 20 beers I doubt they make anything.

Probably 4-5 hours of prime earning hours a day, less earlier in the week. Massive footprint, so their taxes and rent must be huge. Decent power costs to keep that place warm and functioning. Maintaining some oldass mechanical infrastructure, parts always moving and thus failing. Probably need some sort of mechanic on staff.

Maintaining the grossass shoes and balls and pins. Probably have to refloor periodically.
We were a total edge case, and there are scenarios where it could have been cheaper (but I've also got circumstances with my kiddo where we just had to seize the opportunity and couldn't plan it perfectly) - they had 'spring break' (=weekend rate) on at 2pm on a Monday. There was only 1 other 5 pin lane in use.

The price wasn't necessarily insane...just insane for our circumstance. And there was a ####ing tip prompt to top it off!
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 02:36 PM   #13930
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I wish google reviews and the other sites separated out service from the food.

I'm scanning Fonda Flora (crappiest name ever, how about fonda fata off) to see what I should order or just have some guidance.

Of course the bad reviews stick out, but its always a service thing. Food was exceptional but the waitress forgot my drink, 3/5.

If the waiter is jerking his meat taking my order, I don't care, as long as the food is good.

"The waitress has a slight undertone that she was hurrying us". WGAF!

The 5/5 reviews I assume are written by a relative and the 2/5's are from some twunt who didn't get treated like a princess on her date night,
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 02:48 PM   #13931
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ The food there is good. (No relation).
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 03:35 PM   #13932
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Then things like: "I'm not Overtime anymore, they just take it all away in Taxes and its just not worth it!!"
Lolololol, how often do you have to explain how the progressive income tax rates work? "i WaS sO mAd I gOt A rAiSe BeCaUsE iT bUmPeD mE uP iNtO tHe NeXt TaX bRaCkEt, It'S nOt EvEn WoRtH iT!!"

I remember having a conversation about ten years ago with a friend-of-a-friend who quite seriously believed this. I think my friends were trying to set me up, because she was just my 'type': cute, freckly red-head. (And her boobs were spectacular too, my god...) But my attraction quickly faded when she started complaining about this. And I'm sure it doesn't surprise many other posters here that it eventually devolved into me being a condescending ass.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 03:36 PM   #13933
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Lolololol, how often do you have to explain how the progressive income tax rates work? "i WaS sO mAd I gOt A rAiSe BeCaUsE iT bUmPeD mE uP iNtO tHe NeXt TaX bRaCkEt, It'S nOt EvEn WoRtH iT!!"

I remember having a conversation about ten years ago with a friend-of-a-friend who quite seriously believed this. I think my friends were trying to set me up, because she was just my 'type': cute, freckly red-head. (And her boobs were spectacular too, my god...) But my attraction quickly faded when she started complaining about this. And I'm sure it doesn't surprise many other posters here that it eventually devolved into me being a condescending ass.
Must have been a Danielle Smith listener.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 03:40 PM   #13934
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm scanning Fonda Flora (crappiest name ever, how about fonda fata off) to see what I should order or just have some guidance.

Of course the bad reviews stick out, but its always a service thing. Food was exceptional but the waitress forgot my drink, 3/5.

If the waiter is jerking his meat taking my order, I don't care, as long as the food is good.

The 5/5 reviews I assume are written by a relative and the 2/5's are from some twunt who didn't get treated like a princess on her date night,
You're going to start the reviews nonsense again?!?

I had a lady give me a 1-Star review a couple weeks back.

Why? Because she and her husband, brand new clients, showed up at my office, without calling first or making an appointment and I was an hour late. So they just loitered outside of my office for an hour and they were upset.

Heres the thing though. I operate 'by appointment.' They didnt have one.

And normally, thats not a terribly awful thing, I'm usually there anyways, but it just so happened that my receptionist slipped and broke his ankle the night before, so I was late because I had to go across town to go get him because he couldn't drive. If I'd had appointments booked, I'd have paid for a cab for him. But I didnt.

So I was an hour late for an appointment that didnt exist, and they stood there and watched as I helped him out of the car and onto his crutches.

Then they proceeded to start yelling at me.

Old 03-27-2024, 04:36 PM   #13935
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Must have been a Danielle Smith listener.
I... don't think so. But I definitely came away from that interaction concluding "She's lucky she's pretty, 'cause she wouldn't get far in life without that to fall back on."
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 04:47 PM   #13936
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

1 out of 5 stars: dinner for 12 people; birthday. Food took too long and waiter was curt. 20% automatic gratuity. Will not be back.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 04:47 PM   #13937
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
cute, freckly red-head. (And her boobs were spectacular too, my god...)
You must be a better person than me. Because I'd tolerate an oilers tattoo and a MAGA hat in addition to the stupidity for what you have listed there.
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 05:19 PM   #13938
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

NSFW!
Old 03-27-2024, 05:23 PM   #13939
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Not often anymore. I've been doing taxes for 21 years. I just dont have it in me to explain Profressive Tax Rates anymore.

I remember intro Accounting and seeing the glassy-eyed stares around me and just came to the realization that humanity is doomed.

Hell. I can remember having this conversation when I worked at Greyhound because there was always tons of Overtime and we'd hit up a bar after work and the topic comes up and my co-workers pretty much said this nonsense, verbatim.

Quote:
"i WaS sO mAd I gOt A rAiSe BeCaUsE iT bUmPeD mE uP iNtO tHe NeXt TaX bRaCkEt, It'S nOt EvEn WoRtH iT!!"
I then proceeded to explain how Progressive rates work, as well as the implications of payroll withholding taxes in conjunction with other factors that affect taxation including deferrals and tax returns aaaand.....they looked at me like I had 3 heads.

"You still make more money for working OT."

Ahh...18 year-old me had so much more patience than current me.

"I dont wanna work OT! Noth worth it!!"

F-it! Do what you want! I dont care!

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 05:48 PM   #13940
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lolololololololol

Oh man, I still remember big chunks of that conversation verbatim. She worked in healthcare and made about $85,000/yr before, and about $93,000 afterward, and that "bumped her into the next tax bracket"; 26% (federal).

She was thoroughly convinced that it meant she'd net less, and I sloooooowly went through it with her and explained, "No, y'see, only the amount you make more than $87,xxx [whatever the bracket happened to end at that year] will get taxed at 26%..."

I swear, it basically just devolved into, her:

Spoiler!

Me:

Spoiler!

I did some ballpark math and the last thing I said before we walked away from each other—at a "wine tasting" house party with a couple dozen other people—was: "YOU. WILL. STILL. MAKE. AN EXTRA HUNDRED-AND-THIRTY-FIVE DOLLARS EVERY PAYCHEQUE."

My buddy, whose house it was, told me later, "Oh, yeah, no, <his ex's name>'s coworkers are ####ed in the head. I already explained to them how progressive income taxes work."

Last edited by timun; 03-27-2024 at 05:50 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post: