Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2019, 12:28 PM   #1361
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I just heard a bit on Danielle Smith from a lawyer in Toronto. He said the expert in the case also said one pot plant constitutes a material change. I'd be on the phone immediately if I had any plants at all. If there is one thing that is true about insurance....it is almost always bogus.
If you don't have grow lights or anything, how is growing one pot plant different than growing a house plant? Am I not aloud to go buy a spider plant without telling my insurer? Surly that couldn't stand up in court.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2019, 12:31 PM   #1362
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
If you don't have grow lights or anything, how is growing one pot plant different than growing a house plant? Am I not aloud to go buy a spider plant without telling my insurer? Surly that couldn't stand up in court.

Oops. Forgot to quote....This was Danielle Smith's question too. Why can I have a tomato plant but not pot. I dunno. But apparently the law allowing the material change void has been on the books since the 1800's and originally pertained to a Scottish lord who failed to tell his castle insurer of the risk of civil war.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:39 PM   #1363
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone seen any Kinky Kush around ? One of the better strains I have enjoyed lately but hard to find.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:54 PM   #1364
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Oops. Forgot to quote....This was Danielle Smith's question too. Why can I have a tomato plant but not pot. I dunno. But apparently the law allowing the material change void has been on the books since the 1800's and originally pertained to a Scottish lord who failed to tell his castle insurer of the risk of civil war.
I see how the 300 plants is material as it is now a business operation in a private residence. I don’t see how growing an individual plant for sole consumption would be.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:04 PM   #1365
Knut

Exp:

https://streamable.com/b3x8h

I think these guys may have had too many edibles.

From /r/hockey
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2019, 02:58 PM   #1366
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I see how the 300 plants is material as it is now a business operation in a private residence. I don’t see how growing an individual plant for sole consumption would be.
That's actually legally incorrect. I know of quite a few people with prescriptions in the 80-120g/day, which with the proper application means you can grow almost 400 plants for personal use.
Tron_fdc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 04-05-2019, 03:03 PM   #1367
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
That's actually legally incorrect. I know of quite a few people with prescriptions in the 80-120g/day, which with the proper application means you can grow almost 400 plants for personal use.

How do they even use 80-120g a day??
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2019, 06:06 PM   #1368
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post

How do they even use 80-120g a day??
The brownies I make are around 250mg. A couple of friends with pretty severe opioid addictions have been able to kick them because of this. The brownies give you about an 8 hour high depending on tolerance.

Ive made the mistake of trying one while drinking.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:19 PM   #1369
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
The brownies I make are around 250mg. A couple of friends with pretty severe opioid addictions have been able to kick them because of this. The brownies give you about an 8 hour high depending on tolerance.

Ive made the mistake of trying one while drinking.
Omg, I can't imagine the anxiety and paranoia I would endure consuming that much THC.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:55 PM   #1370
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think the theory is find an expert and have him/her tell the judge one plant constitutes a substantial change to the policy. Increased theft, power use, impairment of owners and occupiers. Whatever. It's expert testimony. And insurance if full of stuff that doesn't make sense. If you die falling down the stairs you had better have told your life insurer you were a smoker or your estate won't get any benefits.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 04-06-2019, 09:13 AM   #1371
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That is a crazy amount of weed. I was not aware that prescription use went this high.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 12:23 PM   #1372
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Thats like a quarter pound a DAY. That cant be right. Like thats ridiculous. I cant even fathom consuming that much in a day.

If it is infact correct, wow, thats god like consumption.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:40 PM   #1373
RubberDuck
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacopuck View Post
Thats like a quarter pound a DAY. That cant be right. Like thats ridiculous. I cant even fathom consuming that much in a day.

If it is infact correct, wow, thats god like consumption.
I think Tron must be mistaken. The largest prescription I've ever heard of is 4g/day which would be 120g/month. That is still a lot.
RubberDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 01:31 PM   #1374
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Yeah, there’s literally zero way that’s true. That would be over a litre of oil a day.

The most i’ve ever heard of someone consuming in a day is 10g, and even that would be an extreme anomaly. The “high” average would be approx 5g.

There is absolutely no way someone is prescribed, let alone consumes 80g+ a day. Zero.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 02:11 PM   #1375
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I'm curious how much anyone wants to wager on this. I can say with 10000% certainty these prescriptions exist.

Now as for what people are doing with them? That's an entirely different story.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:32 PM   #1376
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm curious how much anyone wants to wager on this. I can say with 10000% certainty these prescriptions exist.

Now as for what people are doing with them? That's an entirely different story.
Are you sure you’re not mistaking grams for milligrams? The potency of drops/edibles is measured in mgs and 80-120mg is a much more realistically prescribed dosage

The legal limit for possession is also 150g so it’s hard to imagine anyone being able to order that often or even afford it for that matter

Quote:
Public possession limits remain the same for authorized patients who are registered with a federally licensed seller or with Health Canada:

The lesser of 150 grams or a 30-day supply of dried cannabis (or the equivalent in cannabis product) in addition to the 30 grams allowed for non-medical purposes
https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana...-cannabis.html
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 02:44 PM   #1377
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Are you sure you’re not mistaking grams for milligrams? The potency of drops/edibles is measured in mgs and 80-120mg is a much more realistically prescribed dosage

The legal limit for possession is also 150g so it’s hard to imagine anyone being able to order that often or even afford it for that matter

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana...-cannabis.html
Yes, I am sure.

I have seen the applications, the clinics that do it, and the actual grow licenses from Health Canada allowing over 300 plants in one location.

Also, in order to create 100mg of pure THC as measured in a dosage of oil, you need to start with dry flower. 1lb of dry flower yields approx 18g (1800mg) of THC distillate that is around 70%THC that is used in the oils you buy, so if you are using 180mg of THC per day (which is not that much, I can hit that on a Saturday) that translates (roughly) into 45g/day of DRY FLOWER. I say roughly, because distillate yields are all over the map depending on the initial potency of the flower you process.

Those are REALLY rough numbers, but assuming you are using a 50/50 CBD to THC, it's not unrealistic to hit that 80g/day prescription if oils are your preferred method of delivery, and you are using distillates.

Last edited by Tron_fdc; 04-06-2019 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:17 PM   #1378
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, I am sure.

I have seen the applications, the clinics that do it, and the actual grow licenses from Health Canada allowing over 300 plants in one location.

Also, in order to create 100mg of pure THC as measured in a dosage of oil, you need to start with dry flower. 1lb of dry flower yields approx 18g (1800mg) of THC distillate that is around 70%THC that is used in the oils you buy, so if you are using 180mg of THC per day (which is not that much, I can hit that on a Saturday) that translates (roughly) into 45g/day of DRY FLOWER. I say roughly, because distillate yields are all over the map depending on the initial potency of the flower you process.

Those are REALLY rough numbers, but assuming you are using a 50/50 CBD to THC, it's not unrealistic to hit that 80g/day prescription if oils are your preferred method of delivery, and you are using distillates.
I’m not going to question your numbers as I have no experience whatsoever making oil. However the numbers health Canada uses to control the sale of oils are significantly different. When a patient orders oils from an LP a 30ml bottle with a THC content of 25mg/ml is considered as ~6g of your prescription.(my numbers are just rough estimates) These are the guidelines doctors follow when prescribing cannabis so a 150mg/day THC dosage would equate to 1.2 grams per day on a prescription.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 03:35 PM   #1379
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I'm not entirely certain what you are getting at. I think you are getting thrown off by the difference between flower and oil, as oil is a byproduct of extraction. Also, ignore what comes from an LP, that is immaterial. They are allowed to sell based on a prescription from a doctor, so if a doctor prescribes 80 GRAMS/day, that's what you can buy (assuming you can afford it). Likely you can't, so the common next step is to apply for a personal grow license from HC based on your prescription. It is not a difficult process either.

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana...-purposes.html

Typical prescriptions are around 1-3g/day of flower. That is a TYPICAL prescription for things like insomnia, migraines, etc. These are not typical. Cancer patients on Phoenix Tears use around 1000mg/day of oil made up of 70%THC, 10% CBD and 5% CBN (the rest is alcohol) which would require (roughly) 1/2lb (224 grams) of flower to make. Their dosage is high to ingest as much CBN (not CBD) as possible, which only occurs in very small amounts (5% by volume in most strains).

I have seen prescriptions as high as 120 GRAMS/day from a doctor, with an accompanying grow license of well over 400 plants for PERSONAL use. I have never seen an actual grow that size but the licenses YES. I actually just looked at one.

I am also not confusing grams and milligrams. I am quite familiar with the difference, the conversion and the doses.

These exist. It's likely a loophole in Health Canada, it will likely get closed, but they are out there.

Last edited by Tron_fdc; 04-06-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:56 PM   #1380
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, and I thought my script for 2 grams a day was excessive.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post: