Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 01:38 PM   #13581
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Buffalo 100% has no interest in building for the future. They want to win now.
I disagree. I think that’s all Buffalo is interested in at this point.

Last off-season they definitely went into win now mode, but I think reality slapped them pretty hard in the face this year.

I don’t think they really want anything other than young roster players, picks, and prospects. They aren’t looking for a 1-for-1 lateral move.
Old 06-16-2021, 01:41 PM   #13582
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I disagree. I think that’s all Buffalo is interested in at this point.

Last off-season they definitely went into win now mode, but I think reality slapped them pretty hard in the face this year.

I don’t think they really want anything other than young roster players, picks, and prospects. They aren’t looking for a 1-for-1 lateral move.
What do you base this on? I think if they were smart that’s what they’d do, but any rebuild is hampered by Skinner. Anyway, I think their owners want money, and they want the POs to get it.
Old 06-16-2021, 01:44 PM   #13583
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
What do you base this on? I think if they were smart that’s what they’d do, but any rebuild is hampered by Skinner. Anyway, I think their owners want money, and they want the POs to get it.
Based on reports that they’re asking for picks and prospects for Eichel. I don’t think you trade a guy like Eichel for picks and prospects if you’re looking to win now.

I’d consider trading for a guy like Tkachuk a rebuild-esque move as well given how young he is.

I don’t doubt that their owners want to win now, and I think they have for a while, but trading a guy of Eichel’s calibre will alter the course of their franchise. To me it signifies the start of a rebuild. I don’t think they really have any other choice.
Old 06-16-2021, 01:46 PM   #13584
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Based on reports that they’re asking for picks and prospects for Eichel. I don’t think you trade a guy like Eichel for picks and prospects if you’re looking to win now.

I’d consider trading for a guy like Tkachuk a rebuild-esque move as well given how young he is.

I don’t doubt that their owners want to win now, and I think they have for a while, but trading a guy of Eichel’s calibre will alter the course of their franchise. To me it signifies the start of a rebuild. I don’t think they really have any other choice.
I’ve seen no reports like that. Every report I’ve seen mentioned picks or prospects only as in addition to a front line player.

Like I say, they should be in total rebuild mode because none of their guys after Eichel are cutting it.
Old 06-16-2021, 01:48 PM   #13585
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachukwagon View Post
Bader indicates the expected return for Eichel, as well as the ten teams that don’t have the assets to pull it off (tweet thread):

https://twitter.com/user/status/1405227368768163840
The "Player, Pick, & Prospect" isn't exactly a hot take.
That's ALWAYS the "expected return" for any big name available.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 01:54 PM   #13586
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
I have a gut feel something around Monahan and Hanifin is going to happen.

Flames then protect Gio

Monny, Hanifin, 1st, and XX?
Monahan is likely the player any trade revolves around from Calgary's perspective, the addition of Eichel makes him superfluous.

I'm not sure if the Flames want to move any of their other 'young' players though, but hard to say if they can move a vet in the deal though

Odds are that the Flames are including both 12oa and 45oa

Then one or two of Zary, Pelletier, Emilio Pettersen, and Wolf are in the question.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:08 PM   #13587
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Monahan is likely the player any trade revolves around from Calgary's perspective, the addition of Eichel makes him superfluous.

I'm not sure if the Flames want to move any of their other 'young' players though, but hard to say if they can move a vet in the deal though

Odds are that the Flames are including both 12oa and 45oa

Then one or two of Zary, Pelletier, Emilio Pettersen, and Wolf are in the question.
If Buffalo wants to get back a premium player, Monny won't be the guy to bring in Eichel.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:19 PM   #13588
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Buffalo 100% has no interest in building for the future. They want to win now.
Well…green text?

I mean, wanting to win now is one thing - but they’re nowhere no close to winning anything.

They have ONE key piece that’s there that seems okay with being there (Dahlin).

Outside of that all they have are bad contracts, and then good players who want to get out of Buffalo.

If they make short sighted “now” trades…damn do I feel bad for Buffalo fans.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:31 PM   #13589
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL Will Nault having a meltdown on the air this afternoon that Flames fans think the Flames could be a player for Eichel. Says they don't have a single piece that would interest the Sabres.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:33 PM   #13590
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
LOL Will Nault having a meltdown on the air this afternoon that Flames fans think the Flames could be a player for Eichel. Says they don't have a single piece that would interest the Sabres.
Man Nault should have been the one fired for so many reasons. Guy is just not great radio
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 02:33 PM   #13591
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Well…green text?

I mean, wanting to win now is one thing - but they’re nowhere no close to winning anything.

They have ONE key piece that’s there that seems okay with being there (Dahlin).

Outside of that all they have are bad contracts, and then good players who want to get out of Buffalo.

If they make short sighted “now” trades…damn do I feel bad for Buffalo fans.
Well, define “win now”. I don’t think they expect a cup. They want some PO cash though. And they probably figure the fans will melt down if they don’t have a guy who they can say “Oh, I know him”.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:34 PM   #13592
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Save post for post trade when Nault whines that the Flames could have matched what the Sabres got.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 02:34 PM   #13593
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Man Nault should have been the one fired for so many reasons. Guy is just not great radio
Why does he get so mad? Seems like the type of person that would be miserable to live with on a day to day basis. His initial rant on this was over the top.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:34 PM   #13594
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have stopped tuning in to the fan. I used to regularly listen to the afternoon show, but just can't stand his "rants"
The Following User Says Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 02:34 PM   #13595
Jay's Beagle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I have completely stop listening to the fan because of him. They started to give him more and more air time with worse and worse takes and I was done.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jay's Beagle For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 02:37 PM   #13596
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Why does he get so mad? Seems like the type of person that would be miserable to live with on a day to day basis. His initial rant on this was over the top.
He is definitely one of those ppl where the cup is always half empty and will probably never get better.

For such a young guy he is very angry and over the top.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:54 PM   #13597
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Like others have mentioned, I have stopped listening to the fan due to all the negativity. Did one of the main people get fired in the last year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2021, 02:56 PM   #13598
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s not that the Flames have no pieces for Eichel, but Tkachuk is really the centrepiece and that simply doesn’t compare to what other teams could offer.

The problem, as has been the case for a large part of this team’s existence, is that the Flames are an asset poor team trying to play catch up. So I’m not exactly disagreeing with Nault that the Flames probably aren’t a big player for Eichel. This is the hole you dig yourself in when you continually burn assets on short-term bandaids and filler players as the Flames so often do.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:58 PM   #13599
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
12OA, Wolf and Monahan?
Wolf doesn’t have that value until we see how he does in the AHL.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:59 PM   #13600
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

On the morning show, Versteeg(?) mentioned that if you are going to trade Eichel, you might as well blow it up big time. Trade Reinhart, anybody. That is one strategy I suppose, but they are a weird team with some nice pieces, and a bunch of fodder. Strangely, he included trading the 1OA, which makes no sense to me.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Closed Thread