Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2021, 09:51 PM   #1341
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
I think the cup competitions are call your own foul.
It’s a little weird that there’s no VAR there. I’m not a big fan of VAR in general, but it just seemed weird to me.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 07:53 AM   #1342
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

There's no VAR in the cups because you have a lot of lower league teams participating and hosting matches. It would cost a fortune to set up cameras in all of those little stadia. It is the same reason that there's no VAR in the current World Cup qualifying stage in CONCACAF.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MegaErtz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2021, 12:33 PM   #1343
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know that's the reason but I still think it's a bad one, just because var isn't available at Stockport or Port Vale etc. doesn't mean a game at old Trafford shouldn't use it.
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2021, 12:34 PM   #1344
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

The one complaint Klopp had that I agree with is they should have scrapped the two leg semis this year.
Old 12-27-2021, 12:38 PM   #1345
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
The one complaint Klopp had that I agree with is they should have scrapped the two leg semis this year.
Klopp just likes to complain I think. The issue is, he barely rotates his squad, runs then hard and it’s next to impossible at this point in the schedule. But some players?

It’s surprising that they don’t go to five subs though. Like with Covid, games every couple days and those concerns it seems like an easy decision.
Old 12-27-2021, 01:16 PM   #1346
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saint-Maximin is the only Newcastle player worth a damn, but what a player he is.
Old 12-27-2021, 02:52 PM   #1347
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve only seen about 30 minutes of this, but Newcastle is just slicing these guys open and making this look easy, or is United a disorganized mess? Like Newcastle is brutal, so it can’t be that they’ve suddenly come around?
Old 12-27-2021, 02:56 PM   #1348
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah no idea if Covid has an impact here, but United have been extremely poor today. First half was abysmal ... second half a bit better, but they've been in full survival mode in the last 10 minutes or so.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 03:13 PM   #1349
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is the biggest crock of merde I've seen in a long time.

Norwich and Newcastle and DdG claws them to 4 points.
Two top poachers in Ronaldo and Cavani and barely anything of quality into the box.

Silver lining is Bruno is suspended for the next game.

No structure. Nothing. Hopeful aimless passes to noone in Particular. And Varane was struggling big time out there.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2021, 10:48 AM   #1350
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well Spurs got robbed out of the win today. No way that Kane was offside and VAR somehow draws the line to make it the case. Unbelievable, really. And then Forster drops the ball and puts it in his own net and somehow that’s called back as a foul. It’s really ridiculous. What’s the point of VAR if it’s not intervening there, as it’s a goal for sure? Just an embarrassing display for the officials…again.
Old 12-28-2021, 11:01 AM   #1351
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poor Spurs. Always robbed.

Someone explain to him how Var works. He still doesn't get it.?

And let's not mention that Kane should be serving a suspension.

Last edited by Bagor; 12-28-2021 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-28-2021, 12:35 PM   #1352
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well Spurs got robbed out of the win today. No way that Kane was offside and VAR somehow draws the line to make it the case. Unbelievable, really. And then Forster drops the ball and puts it in his own net and somehow that’s called back as a foul. It’s really ridiculous. What’s the point of VAR if it’s not intervening there, as it’s a goal for sure? Just an embarrassing display for the officials…again.
I will give the benefit of the doubt on the keeper mistake. There was maybe enough contact from Spurs to justify it. However, that offside is a bad call. Even under the old, non-armpit rules
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 12:52 PM   #1353
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Poor Spurs. Always robbed.

Someone explain to him how Var works. He still doesn't get it.?

And let's not mention that Kane should be serving a suspension.
Come on, this is a joke

VAR has been giving that as goals this year, Mike Riley said before the season

"Players will be given the benefit of the doubt this season as goals won't be ruled out for offside due to toenails and noses."
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2021, 01:05 PM   #1354
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be fair, he didn't say they wouldn't rule out for armpits...
Old 12-28-2021, 01:12 PM   #1355
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
To be fair, he didn't say they wouldn't rule out for armpits...
Its debatable where the line even is, looks like its somewhere between his mid tricep and arm pit

Which should mean allow the goal and that's what they've done all year
Old 12-28-2021, 01:17 PM   #1356
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a horrible penalty by salah
Old 12-28-2021, 01:19 PM   #1357
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Some karma for Spurs maybe they seem to be flopping around like crazy right now son, hjoberg and Tanganga should be getting a yellow each every game for simulation and you've got that Emerson royal fella telling the ref it's a yellow against the other team after every whistle. Every time I watch them play I briefly think hjoberg has had his leg broken based on his reaction.

they need to harden TF up and quit whining about reffing and trying to draw fouls imo, they have the talent to win games without that crap and for me a good manager finally. That red they got awarded against palace was shocking, the first yellow was barely even a foul and then tanganga acted like he got hit by a truck when he got pushed in the chest to draw the second yellow
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2021, 01:48 PM   #1358
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its debatable where the line even is, looks like its somewhere between his mid tricep and arm pit

Which should mean allow the goal and that's what they've done all year
Oh you have every reason to be aggrieved, I was mostly being a smartass. Even if it's his tricep or his arm pit or his pubes it's laughable to say without a doubt that he's offside.
Old 12-28-2021, 01:56 PM   #1359
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Come on, this is a joke
I was referring to that guy's lack of understanding of the scope of Var when he was crying about Var not intervening to overturn the Forster foul.

Notwithstanding that Doherty jumped into him with zero idea where the ball was or zero intent to play the ball it has been clear from day one that VAR will only get involved where there is a clear and obvious error which was clearly not the case here.

What exactly does he think Var should have done there?

Old 12-28-2021, 02:27 PM   #1360
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Some karma for Spurs maybe they seem to be flopping around like crazy right now son, hjoberg and Tanganga should be getting a yellow each every game for simulation and you've got that Emerson royal fella telling the ref it's a yellow against the other team after every whistle. Every time I watch them play I briefly think hjoberg has had his leg broken based on his reaction.

they need to harden TF up and quit whining about reffing and trying to draw fouls imo, they have the talent to win games without that crap and for me a good manager finally. That red they got awarded against palace was shocking, the first yellow was barely even a foul and then tanganga acted like he got hit by a truck when he got pushed in the chest to draw the second yellow
Haha, Karma? I mean, are we seeing decisions based on what’s happening on the pitch now or just making sure that things are even and we like how players play the game?

To me, the Forster own goal was because he never caught the ball. It’s purely his mistake and there’s almost no collision with Doherty, and before anyone says it…any contact is not a foul. That absolutely should’ve been viewed by VAR and given as a goal. The ref got that wrong, plain and simple.

The Kane goal is frustrating for a couple reasons. First, we were supposed to be done with these kinds of calls, and no one is looking fat that thinks Kane is offside. So that’s the first issue. Just as important, if not more though, is that they drew that offside line in the wrong place. It’s halfway down Kane’s arm FFS, which is patently ridiculous. If he scored with that part of his arm there would be cries for handball. How you can use that and say he’s offside is just plainly a poor application of this technology.