Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 05:02 PM   #13561
Flamefan1
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
I'm not sure I view LA or Anaheim as serious contenders moving forward, and as things currently sit now I think both could be on the decline. Which makes it all the more relevant that Kesler in particular is an albatross moving forward.
Definitely these two teams on a downward slide. The majority of their star forwards are close to 35. Even SJ is getting pretty old although Kane will help. Anna does have a young defense which may delay their decline by a year or so.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:05 PM   #13562
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamefan1 View Post
Not for long. Most if not all but Pavelski are closer to 35 and soon to be on the downside of their carreers. But agree all have been very good players.
Totally agree that they are approaching their expiry date, but they all have been legit contenders in the Pacific and they have ridden they're centers hard. The Flames don't have that level right now, but they need to get there if they are going to get to the level that the Cali teams have been.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2018, 06:35 PM   #13563
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently Friedman has said he heard from sources that Montreal MGMT has been told to rebuild and stock up and picks/prospects.

Dammit why did they have to sign Price to that bloated friggin contract. He'd be so awesome to have at even $8 million per. $10.5 million is just ridiculous for a goalie though. Especially when it goes until he's 38.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:45 PM   #13564
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Apparently Friedman has said he heard from sources that Montreal MGMT has been told to rebuild and stock up and picks/prospects.

Dammit why did they have to sign Price to that bloated friggin contract. He'd be so awesome to have at even $8 million per. $10.5 million is just ridiculous for a goalie though. Especially when it goes until he's 38.
Would like to get Gallagher for top 6. Would like to get Byron back for bottom 6.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:57 PM   #13565
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I wish Skinner was a RH shot.

Feels like Carolina is going to sell low on him and a 26 year old 30 goal 50 point threat that plays with some speed would be nice.

Although with only 1 year left to UFA it wouldn't be ideal either.
If Canes fans are to be believed, Skinner + Peters is not a good mix.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:59 PM   #13566
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Would like to get Gallagher for top 6. Would like to get Byron back for bottom 6.

That'd be a sweet pair of pickups. Maybe we could roll something like:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Bennett-Gallagher
Byron-Backlund-Frolik
Mangiapane-Jankowski-Shore

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 06-07-2018, 07:17 PM   #13567
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Gallagher doesn’t really address the lack of a skilled winger. He’s another complementary 40 point guy that this team already has in Backlund and Frolik. He scored 31 last season but he’s all over the map year to year when it comes to scoring and whatever intangibles he supposedly brings hasn’t been enough to elevate the Habs. I wouldn’t object to having him on the roster but I wouldn’t want to pay what the Habs will likely ask for as he’s not going to put a team over the top. Tkachuk and Guadreau are the only elite or close skilled overall forwards on the roster and the team needs another skill guy.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:31 PM   #13568
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default 2017/2018 Trade Speculation and Rumors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Gallagher doesn’t really address the lack of a skilled winger. He’s another complementary 40 point guy that this team already has in Backlund and Frolik. He scored 31 last season but he’s all over the map year to year when it comes to scoring and whatever intangibles he supposedly brings hasn’t been enough to elevate the Habs. I wouldn’t object to having him on the roster but I wouldn’t want to pay what the Habs will likely ask for as he’s not going to put a team over the top. Tkachuk and Guadreau are the only elite or close skilled overall forwards on the roster and the team needs another skill guy.
Monahan??

What does a consistent 30-30 guy need to do to gain some recognition by some around here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 06-07-2018, 07:37 PM   #13569
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Monahan??

What does a consistent 30-30 guy need to do to gain some recognition by some around here?
Listening to Conroy today on the Fan talking about how bad Monahans wrist was and they all marveled at how he was still able to pot 30 with an absolutely mangled wrist. It was so bad he couldn't sleep.

Finally have the #1 center we deserve and he's not good enough.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:57 PM   #13570
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Monahan??

He’s a really good shooter but he’s not as gifted as Tkachuk or Gaudreau. No slight to Monahan as he’s an imprortant part of the team for sure but I wouldn’t call him an elite skill player.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2018, 08:00 PM   #13571
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He’s a really good shooter but he’s not as gifted as Tkachuk or Gaudreau. No slight to Monahan as he’s an imprortant part of the team for sure but I wouldn’t call him an elite skill player.
You are selling the man short
Old 06-07-2018, 08:05 PM   #13572
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
You are selling the man short
No I’m not. What’s he elite at? Not skating or passing that’s for sure. He’s a very good center that’s good enough to be a first line center on some teams. He’s not at the level of a guy like Nathan McKinnon. My goodness you can still be a fan and maintain some objectivity. You aren’t calling him elite are you?
Old 06-07-2018, 08:07 PM   #13573
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
No I’m not. What’s he elite at?
Scoring goals. Big, game winning goals.

Guess it depends on how important you think that is.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2018, 08:09 PM   #13574
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No I’m not. What’s he elite at? Not skating or passing that’s for sure. He’s a very good center that’s good enough to be a first line center on some teams. He’s not at the level of a guy like Nathan McKinnon. My goodness you can still be a fan and maintain some objectivity. You aren’t calling him elite are you?
Shooting is elite IMO. Plus he has great hockey sense What's Gaudreau elite at except stickhandling and passing? What's Tkachuk elite at? He has super high IQ, but his skating and passing are no better than Monahan's.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:09 PM   #13575
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
Scoring goals. Big, game winning goals.

Guess it depends on how important you think that is.
Well is a 30 goal scorer elite? I don’t think so. It’s not like I said he was an average player or anything. He’s very good, just not great. Nothing wrong with that and the fact he has an elite winger in Gaudreau means he doesn’t have to carry the line.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:10 PM   #13576
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Gallagher is a pesty sniper and exactly what we need on RW. He scored 31 last year with absolute crap linemates, imagine what he puts up with Johnny feeding him. Having both him and Tkachuk driving the opposition nuts would be amazing.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:11 PM   #13577
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well is a 30 goal scorer elite? I don’t think so. It’s not like I said he was an average player or anything. He’s very good, just not great. Nothing wrong with that and the fact he has an elite winger in Gaudreau means he doesn’t have to carry the line.
Monahan IS great. Holy smokes. Already the Flames all time OT scoring leader.

His IQ doesn't get nearly enough ackowledgement. Gaudreau doesn't feed him anything if he's not in the right spot.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:11 PM   #13578
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2018, 08:13 PM   #13579
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Shooting is elite IMO. Plus he has great hockey sense What's Gaudreau elite at except stickhandling and passing? What's Tkachuk elite at? He has super high IQ, but his skating and passing are no better than Monahan's.
Sorry but I disagree. Gaudreau carries his line and is the offensive catalyst. Tkachuk is a better passer and as you said has a very high IQ. Monahan is a very good shooter as I mentioned before and there’s something to be said for having a nose for the net but does anyone think he could center a couple of non elite wingers and elevate their level of play? He’s not that type of player.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:14 PM   #13580
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default 2017/2018 Trade Speculation and Rumors

Quote:
You are just wrong. Sean Monahan is only 23-years-old, he has already scored 138 goals, and he is the #2 most productive player from his draft class behind only Hart nominee Nate MacKinnon. It has been mentioned before, but it bears repeating: when he was shut down at the end of the season his elite skilled line mate scored just one goal and an assist in the final three weeks of the season.

Sean Monahan possesses elite level offensive skill. Enough of this nonsense already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread