Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2018, 10:29 AM   #1321
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Arsenal haggling over Aubameyang is predictable. Say what you will about United and City ruining everything with money, but at least they know how to close deals and don't #### around like Arsenal do. I can only imagine the greatness we'll get from AFTV if they don't close the deal.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:36 AM   #1322
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Arsenal haggling over Aubameyang is predictable. Say what you will about United and City ruining everything with money, but at least they know how to close deals and don't #### around like Arsenal do. I can only imagine the greatness we'll get from AFTV if they don't close the deal.
the weird thing is that Dortmund aren't even asking for crazy money. €70m (around £60m) is a pretty decent price in the current market for a 28 year old striker who's scored a ton of goals over the past few years. A lot of Dortmund fans are pissed that they aren't asking for more money, yet Arsenal are still dithering. Don't really get it, the money is clearly there and after already offering £50m it seems rather pointless to let this drag on.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:39 AM   #1323
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

And when you consider they sold Ox for £40 million and Walcott for £20 million, and Aubameyang is better than both of them combine...hmmmm. But really that's Kroenke being cheap, he's heavily leveraged right now because of Kroenkeworld.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:20 AM   #1324
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t follow Dortmund much, but hasn’t he been suspended 2-3 times and has been a problem there? If that’s accurate, you would think that they’d be happy to move him?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:44 AM   #1325
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I don’t follow Dortmund much, but hasn’t he been suspended 2-3 times and has been a problem there? If that’s accurate, you would think that they’d be happy to move him?
yeah but their only other striker is 18 year old Alexander Isak, who hasn't scored in the league yet. I'm sure they'd prefer to move him in the summer, but with his off the field conduct he's forcing their hand a bit.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:45 AM   #1326
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
yeah but their only other striker is 18 year old Alexander Isak, who hasn't scored in the league yet. I'm sure they'd prefer to move him in the summer, but with his off the field conduct he's forcing their hand a bit.
The situation at Dortmund is a hell of a mess right now, they need to get that sorted out.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:51 AM   #1327
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
The situation at Dortmund is a hell of a mess right now, they need to get that sorted out.
yup. The quality within the squad has been continually watered-down for a few years now, they've sacked two managers within a few months, lost Sven Mislintat to Arsenal, crashed out of the Champions League (in a really tough group, but still only barely edged out Nikosia for the EL spot) and are only 5th in Germany. Watzke and Zorc deserve a lot more flack than they've been getting.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:12 PM   #1328
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
yup. The quality within the squad has been continually watered-down for a few years now, they've sacked two managers within a few months, lost Sven Mislintat to Arsenal, crashed out of the Champions League (in a really tough group, but still only barely edged out Nikosia for the EL spot) and are only 5th in Germany. Watzke and Zorc deserve a lot more flack than they've been getting.
Especially since its allegedly the row between Zorc and Tuchel that really kicked them into this tailspin.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-27-2018, 12:29 PM   #1329
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well the good news is that Spurs didn’t crash out of the cup today. I don’t know when the replay will be, but we could do without an extra game whenever that is.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:07 PM   #1330
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it was just £75m for Liverpool to fix that defensive system? What a deal!

Edit: they escaped on review
Old 01-27-2018, 01:12 PM   #1331
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

VAR might need some tweaks lol
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:13 PM   #1332
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

No wonder Locke wants VAR.

Poor Albion got screwed at both ends.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:18 PM   #1333
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
No wonder Locke wants VAR.

Poor Albion got screwed at both ends.
Well hell....

In fairness, not entirely what I was hoping for, but VAR got the call right on both occasions but now we're opening Pandora's Box for every little call.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:21 PM   #1334
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Well hell....

In fairness, not entirely what I was hoping for, but VAR got the call right on both occasions but now we're opening Pandora's Box for every little call.
Do We even know what the call was on the first one?

I would like to see some of the grabbing removed from the game, but that will be tricky. We'll see that much contact 10 times in every game, are they going to review all of them?
Old 01-27-2018, 01:23 PM   #1335
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post

I would like to see some of the grabbing removed from the game, but that will be tricky. We'll see that much contact 10 times in every game, are they going to review all of them?
It looked like Barry was offside and interfering with the Goalkeeper and as such was part of the play.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:25 PM   #1336
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Exactly. And really, if this goes the way of video review in the NHL/NFL, etc. its going to suck. I don't need to see every little nit-picky play over and over.

I'm not even going to argue the "legitimacy" of those calls, but I disagree with both of them.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:57 PM   #1337
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

VAR prevented more goals than Mignolet lol
Old 01-27-2018, 03:10 PM   #1338
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

The part I don't get is that for years now it's been obvious Liverpool need an upgrade in goal, and an upgrade at the #6.

It's impossible to build a consistent defensive side when those players are constantly caught out of position and making mistakes.

The only bright side it that Karius should finally get a few games to see if he's good enough, and with Can having one foot out the door already, we may be forced to buy a 6.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:39 PM   #1339
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The part I don't get is that for years now it's been obvious Liverpool need an upgrade in goal, and an upgrade at the #6.

It's impossible to build a consistent defensive side when those players are constantly caught out of position and making mistakes.

The only bright side it that Karius should finally get a few games to see if he's good enough, and with Can having one foot out the door already, we may be forced to buy a 6.
That was an unmitigated horror show. The team had no life and no spark. That was about as bad as I've seen them play for a long time. Whats worse was that was as close to our normal starting XI as we usually get. That wasnt a weak team.

Mignolet wasnt great at all, but its not like the goals were really his fault. This is the aggravating thing is that if he was just consistently average we'd probably be okay, but overall if I lay blame on this one its on Can and Wijnaldum.

The commentators were blaming VVD but the midfield didnt mark up and West Brom just had two players trail in and clean up over and over.

The back line was marking up, but the midfield wasnt so you just leave this enormous gap for them to run into at full speed and you totally sell out your back 4.

I like Can and was sort of hoping to keep him, but he just showed that if he isnt in it hes a huge liability. He was terrible today.

Anyways, looks like we dont have to worry about FA Cup fixtures anymore.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:55 PM   #1340
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Agreed. There was plenty of blame to go around, but Can and Wijnaldum were the biggest culprits. Ox too really. The midfield let West Brom walk right through multiple times.

Mignolet luckily wasn't at fault for any of the goals, but he was comically bad. He was completely useless on the goal that was called back. It should have been a simple catch but he's too busy pushing on the back of an oppenent. And he was just as bad on the the play when he was challenged in the air by an offside player. He was way offside, so it didn't matter, but it's like...you know you're 6'4 and can use your hands right?