Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 08:53 AM   #13321
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Desert Dogs & Hot Dogs: The Phil Kessel Story
Old 04-25-2019, 11:08 AM   #13322
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO Johansen is really bland. At least Monahan scores a lot of goals.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:11 AM   #13323
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO it’s fitting that Monahan trade proposals were on page 666.

I’m more interested in what BT does with the D logjam and if that turns into a top six forward. I’d say a top 4 D should get you that.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:17 AM   #13324
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
People wanting to trade any of our young talented core are crazy to do so IMO, Johansen is 8 games from 600 and at 130 career goals... Monahan is 28 games from 500 and at 172 career goals; that’s 42 more goals in 120 less games played... madness! Our top line doesn’t need more passing if anything it needs a bit more grit and with Johansen averaging about 100 hits a year that isn’t enough of an increase in that area to offset the loss of 20 goals in Monahan.

We need to tinker with this lineup, upgrade certain positions like 2nd line RW, not trade cornerstone pieces based on emotions reacting from a bad playoff performance where we had a lot of first and second timers playing.
Finally a voice of reason..

We as fans are like the Flames were in the playoffs, we lack the mental fortitude to handle this. All these fans calling for Monahan and Gaudreau trades are panicking.

Why dont we give them a chance to respond to this before we trade our best players?

Let them grow from this rather than make hasty trades.

This forum is getting insufferable and part of me feels like I need to stop checking in until closer to the draft.

I'm as passionate as anyone here and am definatly as pissed off over the results and showing. But this team didnt play their game in the playoffs because they played tenative the whole time. They were scared of making mistakes and it made them make mistakes. They were a self fulfilling prophecy.

Blow up the 2nd placed team rather than give them a chance to prove they spent the whole summer pissed off with themselves and in turn as a whole became motivated to get better.

I know Johnny, Monny, Backlund, Bennett and Brodie have been on Flames playoff teams that also failed but they played their Achilles heel in 2 of those round in the Ducks and if it wasnt for goaltending I think we win at least one of those matchups. We also beat the Canucks and Brodie, who I thought was our worst player all playoffs is likely to be traded.

Just give them at least next season to rebound from this because we as fans are showing we too are mentally weak.

This is a league where anyone can win on any given night and Avs have 2 world class players. We played scared to lose and it cost us.

Give the core a chance to show us this helped them become mentally stronger.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2019, 12:47 PM   #13325
Toonage

Exp:

We'll find out pretty quick what the plan is ultimately. Draft weekend is only 8 weeks away.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:53 PM   #13326
MikePatton
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Should be a fun offseason thanks to the disaster that was the Flames' postseason.

I wonder how many of the top seeds eliminated in the first round are looking to make changes.

I liked the things Neal said on garbage bag day... I hope he is able to come into next season more prepared, and is able to cement a role in the lineup. One would think he has negative trade value, so I for one hope he *is not* traded.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:30 PM   #13327
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
We'll find out pretty quick what the plan is ultimately. Draft weekend is only 8 weeks away.
I hope we see deals made for Frolík & Brodie and possibly Jankowski & Stone too.
The Following User Says Thank You to David Struch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2019, 01:31 PM   #13328
Toonage

Exp:

^ I'm betting you will be happy come that weekend. If not sooner.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2019, 02:08 PM   #13329
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
More likely his entitled, me-first attitude will spoil the culture of accountability and teamwork that the Coyotes bought into this season. Kessel is one of those players who works best on a team that already has a strong, star-led leadership core, like the Penguins.
Yeah I'm not sure he's the type of guy you bring into a locker room of young players trying to build a culture of winning.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:33 PM   #13330
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Sounds like Rutherford in Pittsburgh could be making some changes before next season.
Could there be a deal made around Neal and Kessel?? Both are 31 and Neal had some of his best years in Pitty where as Kessel could be one of those guys on the Penguins that might be due for a change of scenery. Flames undoubtedly have to add but I’d be interested in a Brodie + Neal (15% retained) + Jankowski for Kessel trade.

I’d also like to see us trade for Wennberg maybe Frolik and our 1st round pick for Wennberg could get it done?? Wennberg to me could be a Lindholm type add and appears to be a good candidate for a trade considering Torts has practically given up on him; great cap hit for 4 more years at 4.9 and has put up 55 + points in this league.

To Pittsburgh
Brodie
Jankowski
Neal (15 %)

To Calgary
Kessel

To Columbus
Frolik
1st

To Calgary
Wennberg

Gaudreau - Monahan - Kessel
Tkachuk - Wennberg - Lindholm (Lindholm takes righties)
Bennett - Backlund - Czarnik
Mangiapane - Ryan - Hathaway
Dube

Giordano - Andersson
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Stone
Kylington - Fantenberg

Smith
Rittich
Old 04-25-2019, 04:46 PM   #13331
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Wennberg is interesting. I’m not sure I’d give up both Frolik and a 1st for him, though. Not anymore at least.
Phil Kessel should stay far away from here. We will tear him apart on these forums. He is a laid back guy and I think he’d do better in a less hockey-crazy market.
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2019, 07:00 PM   #13332
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

No offense but you guys are really not up on what’s happening across the league if you think Wennberg is worth Frolik and a first.

He isn’t worth a waiver claim. He is in line with Neal, albeit younger and not as bad
Old 04-25-2019, 07:02 PM   #13333
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Wennberg is closely approaching negative value, but I would look at trading for him. 2 goals is preeeeetty bad for any player, but I think he just doesn't mesh with Tortorella. He's an excellent distributor who has put up a 59-point season.

He's certainly worth a look, but his contract is super bad. His days are absolutely done in Columbus. Trading a 1st for him would be insane.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:04 PM   #13334
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Also with Wennberg his contract is buyout friendly so if he comes free and doesn’t deliver you only have to pay him 1/3 of it.

Which really sucks for the player
Old 04-25-2019, 07:07 PM   #13335
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
Also with Wennberg his contract is buyout friendly so if he comes free and doesn’t deliver you only have to pay him 1/3 of it.

Which really sucks for the player
Is he buyout friendly, though? I thought that was only in a non spending franchise sense. The buyout cap hit is still based on his full cap hit, no?
Old 04-26-2019, 07:18 AM   #13336
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Could there be a deal made around Neal and Kessel?? Both are 31 and Neal had some of his best years in Pitty where as Kessel could be one of those guys on the Penguins that might be due for a change of scenery. Flames undoubtedly have to add but I’d be interested in a Brodie + Neal (15% retained) + Jankowski for Kessel trade.

To Pittsburgh

Brodie

Jankowski

Neal (15 %)

Kessel had 82 points last year, Neal had 19.

If Pittsburgh moves Kessel, it will be to save cap, and he can be moved without picking up a cap anchor like Neal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2019, 07:23 AM   #13337
PegCityFlamesFan
First Line Centre

Exp:

But everyone wants our garbage for their good players right?
Old 04-26-2019, 08:12 AM   #13338
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegCityFlamesFan View Post
But everyone wants our garbage for their good players right?
Who are you referring to? I assume Brian Little?
Old 04-26-2019, 08:55 AM   #13339
Toonage

Exp:

Did anyone hear Friedman on the Fan this morning? Can you elaborate on what was said about Zucker/Flames?
Old 04-26-2019, 09:02 AM   #13340
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

The Athletic NHL
@TheAthleticNHL

Jim Rutherford isn't sure if Evgeni Malkin is part of the Penguins' long-term plans.
@JoshYohe_PGH
on what could be a tumultuous summer:

Last edited by transplant99; 04-26-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Closed Thread